The BurmaNet News - 10 March, 1998

------------------------------ BurmaNet -----------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies

The BurmaNet News, 10 March, 1998
Issue #953

Noted in passing:

"?we will continue to strive for political solutions so that the military
government will be able to listen to our voices and the peoples' and to
accept our views and the peoples'." - ABSDF chairman, Dr Naing Aung
(see OSLO DVB: ABSDF DESCRIBES SPDC ALLEGATIONS AS 'TOTALLY GROUNDLESS')

HEADLINES:
==========
REUTERS: NEW NAME, OLD POLICIES FOR MYANMAR MILITARY
BKK POST: SULAK VOWS TO KEEP ON PROTESTING
BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: BURMA EXTENDS DEADLINE FOR WA
OSLO DVB: ABSDF DESCRIBES SPDC ALLEGATIONS AS
OSLO DVB: KACHIN FACTION'S DRUG ACTIVITIES REPORTED
NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: BRIEFS
SPDC: INFORMATION SHEET NO.A-0343 (I)
SPDC: INFORMATION SHEET NO.A-0342 (I)

Features:
BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: BURMESE SPY ACTIVITIES IN
IRRAWADDY: SUU KYI "KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN"

Announcements:
BURMA.NET: LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGNS DISCUSSION
ABFSU: CALL FOR SOLIDARITY TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
TOURISM CONCERN: BURMA, TOURISM AND HUMAN RIGHTS
----

REUTERS: NEW NAME, OLD POLICIES FOR MYANMAR MILITARY REGIME
by Deborah Charles

BANGKOK -- Less than four months after a sudden overhaul of the
government and attempted image enhancement, Myanmar's (Burma's)
ruling military has not really changed much, analysts and diplomats
said.

"It's the same old thing," said one Rangoon-based diplomat, after
a news conference last weekend by the ruling State Peace and
Development Council (SPDC) to announce the arrest of 40 people
suspected of being involved in a conspiracy to sabotage the country
and create unrest.

The SPDC sounded a lot like its predecessor -- the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) -- in the news conference where it said there
were links between the arrested people and the opposition party of Nobel
Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

It said the 40 arrested, mostly students, were also linked with an exiled
student group, the All Burma Students Democratic Front (ABSDF), and the
outlawed Burma Communist Party (BCP).

"This was all driven by arrests of the ABSDF members, then the government
justified it by linking them with the NLD (Suu Kyi's National League for
Democracy), and the BCP," another diplomat said. "It was just a way to
frame the arrests."

In the past the SLORC accused the ABSDF, the NLD and BCP of being involved
in bomb attacks and other subversive activities.

A government spokesman from the military intelligence unit, who had the
same position under the SLORC, told the news conference the SPDC also had
evidence that the "terrorists" who had been arrested were also planning
to bomb some embassies of members of the Association of South East Asian
Nations (ASEAN).

"The terrorist attacks on ASEAN embassies is new," the second diplomat
said. "It's not a positive thing that...(they) linked that with the NLD
in this era of supposed rapprochement."

The NLD and the government are in a political stalemate, after the NLD
refused to hold talks as proposed by the SPDC unless Suu Kyi was included.

But although the SPDC will not invite the 1991 Nobel Peace laureate to the
table, some diplomats say there are talks going on between the two sides at
lower levels.

The SPDC was formed in November in a surprise shakeup that abolished the
SLORC, fired some ministers and reshuffled others in an effort to clean up
its image and revitalise the economy.

But analysts say little has changed in the government's policies and the
economy is still in trouble.

More than 1,000 political prisoners, including several relatives and
advisors of Suu Kyi, remain in jail and are serving long prison sentences.

Suu Kyi remains under virtual house arrest, with the road leading to her
home blocked and her visitors limited and monitored. Her telephone is
tapped and few calls get through.

Most universities and colleges are still closed, 15 months after the
government shut them in December 1996 to prevent unrest following
anti-government protests.

A government spokesman told Reuters at least one technical institute
would reopen on Monday, and universities would likely resume in the
"very near future."

The closure of the universities and colleges, which affected more than
200,000 students, brought back memories of 1988 when the SLORC shut down
the higher education system for two years following nationwide
pro-democracy uprising.

But some Yangon residents say they do not care if the new government is
just like the old one -- all they want is for the economy to improve.

"Those of us who live from hand to mouth don't have time to think about
what they say. What we need is peace and stability," said a fruit vendor.
"It's getting even harder to make a living. Things are already bad...we
can't afford to let it get worse."

BKK POST: SULAK VOWS TO KEEP ON PROTESTING

Planning to counter-lawsuit

Well-known social critic Sulak Sivaraksa has vowed to continue his
protest against the Yadana gas pipeline project despite facing charges
of obstructing work at the project site in Kanchanaburi.

In a lecture on ways out for the Thai society, the prominent social
campaigner declared war on the Petroleum Authority of Thailand (PTT),
the pipeline builder, and vowed that he would not give up his struggle
against the project.

He claimed construction of the pipeline would destroy areas of the finest
virgin forest left in Thailand and endanger wildlife.

Mr Sulak, who was granted bail after he and 40 other protesters were
arrested recently, said he was consulting his legal advisers to file a
counter-lawsuit against the PTT, which is building the pipeline.

"I've asked my lawyers to look into legal aspects on filing a suit against
the PTT. I will fight until the project is scrapped," said the onetime Nobel
Peace Prize nominee.

Mr Sulak, 65, came under fire last week from a senior minister for failing
to call off his solo protest despite a pledge by mainstream protesters to
give up their stand once the prime minister had made a final decision on the
issue.

Last month, Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai appointed a panel to smooth over
differences between supporters and opponents of the project. The panel
recommended that villagers and non-governmental organisation participate
in monitoring the pipeline work.

But Mr Chuan last week gave the green light for the completion of the
project.

Mr Sulak strongly blasted the Democrat-led government for ignoring the
plights of the poor and human rights violations by the Burmese government,
which will sell gas to Thailand.

He called on all lower-class and middle-class people to join forces to
put an end to the controversial project.

In his speech the social critic attributed the economic downturn to the
influence of consumerism brought into the country by the ruling class.

The consumerism has made Thais become slaves of new technology, claimed
Mr Sulak, pointing out the gas pipeline project as an example which was
built at the expense of natural forest resources.

BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: BURMA EXTENDS DEADLINE FOR WA REBELS
3 March, 1998 / p. 5 [translated from Thai]
by Aphichat Sutthiwong of the Indochina Center in Chiang Mai

Tension between the Wa rebel group and the Burmese Government,
which flared up in December of last year and almost reached the
fighting point, was relieved when the SPDC [State Peace and
Development Council] agreed to allow the Wa rebels to remain at
their Doi Lang base for another year.

The Independence Journal--the mouthpiece of the Shan State rebel
group--reported in its late February issue that the Burmese
Government has agreed to extend the deadline for the Wa rebel
group (United Wa State Army-UWSA) stationed in the south to remain
at its base for one more year.

The government had earlier set the late part of 1997 as the deadline
for the UWSA to retreat from its present base.  With the deadline
extension, the UWSA can keep its forces at the Doi Samsao and Doi
Laem hills, opposite the Mae Ai District of Chiang Mai Province
[of Thailand], until the end of 1998.

The journal noted that the agreement on the extension of the deadline
was reached following talks between SPDC military leaders and UWSA
leaders.

The UWSA leaders participating in the talks included top leader Pao Yo
Chang, chief of staff Li Zhu Su, and Wei Xiao Kang, economic affairs
leader and one of the military leaders of the UWSA in the southern region.
It was Wei Xiao Kang who went to Rangoon after the deadline for the UWSA
to remain at the base expired in late 1997.  It was reported that the
Burmese Government agreed to extend the deadline for the Wa Army
following his return from Rangoon.

In late 1997, the Burmese Army sent 10 battalions to reinforce its
forces at Doi Lang--a hill adjacent to the Doi Samsao and Doi Laem
hills--in order to force the UWSA's Brigade No. 361 comprised of more
than 5,000 troops to withdraw from the hill and move back to its main
stronghold at Pang Sang in northern Wa State adjacent to the Chinese
border. The government move was in accordance with the deadline set in
late 1996 by Gen. Muang Aye, vice chairman of the SPDC and army commander
in chief of Burma, who ordered that the southern Wa forces must withdraw
from their main base, or lay down arms and surrender to the Burmese
Government by the end of 1997.  However, the Wa side has tried repeatedly
to delay the withdrawal, resulting in sporadic clashes between the two
forces.

The news sources of military observers at the Thai-Burmese border
believe that the Burmese Government is actually maintaining its claim
to the area by allowing the Wa forces to stay longer at the base.
At present, under the leadership of Pao Yo Chang, the UWSA has 25,000
men as its main force stationed at the Pang Sang base, opposite Aa
[name as transliterated] District of Yunnan Province [of China].
According to a US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) report, the UWSA is
the largest narcotics producing force in the Golden Triangle. After
defecting from the Burmese Communist Party in 1988, the UWSA forces
were persuaded by the Burmese Government to join in fighting the
following year to seize the Doi Lang area from Khun Sa's Mong Tai
Army [MTA]. However, when Khun Sa officially surrendered to Rangoon
on 7 January 1996, the SLORC [State Law and Order Restoration Council]
sent its armed forces to seize the Doi Lang area formerly occupied by
the MTA.  The SLORC also ordered that the UWSA withdraw from the area
and move back to the northern region.  However, the UWSA defied the
order because it had already lost a large number of troops.

The defiance has prompted the Burmese Government to deliver an
ultimatum to resort to the use of force.

[Description of Source: Phuchatkan--business-oriented daily newspaper]

OSLO DVB: ABSDF DESCRIBES SPDC ALLEGATIONS AS 'TOTALLY GROUNDLESS'
2 March, 1998 [translated from Burmese]

Col. Kyaw Thein, spokesman for the SPDC [State Peace and Development
Council], said in his news briefing yesterday that 40 political
activists, including 12 members of the All Burma Students' Democratic
Front, ABSDF, had been arrested. Col. Kyaw Thein alleged the ABSDF had
been plotting to bomb SPDC Office, embassies of the ASEAN nations, and
major thoroughfares, and to assassinate SPDC generals when opportunities
arise. He said the Karen National Union [KNU] supplied the demolition
equipment. Col. Kyaw Thein also ridiculed the leaders of the National
League for Democracy [NLD] and the Burmese independence struggle. Ko
Aung Thu Nyein, general secretary of the ABSDF, refuted the SPDC's
allegations yesterday.

Furthermore, U Maung Maung Aye, information minister of the National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, also told DVB that they
had no contact with the NLD. Although the name list of all those
arrested has not been known yet, it is believed that the list includes
the almost 80-year-old Thakhin Ohn Myint. He was a close aide of Gen.
Aung San [late urmese independence hero and father of Aung San Suu Kyi]
and a great ympathizer and supporter of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
He also provided a great deal of help to prisoners.

In yesterday's news briefing, Col. Kyaw Thein accused Ko Thet Aung
Naing and Ko Ne Lynn Soe as BCP-UG [Burma Communist Party-Underground
member] members but in fact they were arrested for attempting to hand
in a letter to Mr. Alvaro De Soto, assistant UN secretary general.

Rangoon Institute of Technology student Ko Moe Aye, who is friendly
with some of those who were arrested, said the SPDC's accusation that
students and political activists are terrorists and BCP-Ugs is a sheer
fabrication.  This is what he told DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma].
[passage omitted]

Concerning the allegations made by the SPDC against the ABSDF for
plotting terrorist activities, DVB contacted ABSDF Chairman Dr.
Naing Aung.

This is what Dr. Naing Aung had to say.

[Begin Dr. Naing Aung recording]
"Yesterday, the SPDC accused the ABSDF of plotting terrorist acts in
the country. Regarding that matter, we would like to explain our
situation. The main thing is that our political standing still remains
the same--for the disintegration of the military dictatorship, the
development of democracy and human rights in Burma, and for the emergence
of a federal state. Although we have continuously asked the SPDC to solve
the political problems through political means to obtain our political
objectives and goals, the military dictatorship have so far failed to
comply with our demands. Thus, we will strive to exert needed political
pressure on the military government to solve political problems through
political means, and we have already declared that. We will always try
and pursue the matter. Regarding the SPDC's allegations that the ABSDF
has planned to engage in terrorist acts, they are totally groundless.

"It has been frankly declared at the last ABSDF Central Committee Meeting
that we will always find political solutions to solve political problems
through political means. As I have mentioned, we will continue to strive
for political solutions so that the military government will be able to
listen to our voices and the peoples' and to accept our views and the
peoples'.

"Yesterday's allegations by the SPDC is not directly linked to us. As
far as we know, we believe all these fabrications point to the fact that
the SPDC is planning a political step to prolong the military dictatorship.
 We have learned that apart from yesterday's arrests, about 150 other
political activists and monks, including students, were arrested last
month. We see the arrests basically as either a step by the SPDC to
conclude the ongoing National Convention or as a preventive measure to
avert resurgence of anti-government activities when the colleges reopen.
By arresting those who are politically opposed to them, the SPDC is not
solving political problems through political means.

"We demand that the SPDC halt all such arrests. We also demand that they
immediately release all those who were arrested without terrorizing and
torturing them. If they try to solve these problems in this way the
political problems will never be resolved.  That is why, we vehemently
call on the SPDC to solve political problems through political means
instead of resorting to these methods."
[end recording]

Concerning the SPDC news briefing, Phado Mahn Shar, the general
secretary of the Karen National Union, also gave his remarks to DVB.

[Begin Phado Mahn Shar recording]
"I would like to say clearly that this matter has no connection whatsoever
with the KNU. Another point is, I think the SPDC should not point their
accusing fingers at the ABSDF and the KNU whenever anything happens. I
feel they need to carry out some investigations among themselves. In that
news briefing, the SPDC was bragging about the discovery of an act of
treason.  The people should be aware of that.  They should think carefully
what is behind all these?

"What does the SPDC want to do?  All the people must be aware of the
ramifications and the continuing arrests connected to this.  After the
SLORC [State Law and Order Restoration Council] changed its name to SPDC,
we notice that the internal power struggle has increased. The people
should be aware of that too.  This is what we would like to say."
[end recording]

[Democratic Voice of Burma--anti-government radio run by the National
Coalition Government of the Union of Burma]

OSLO DVB: KACHIN FACTION'S DRUG ACTIVITIES REPORTED
4 March, 1998 [translated from Burmese]
by Maung Paing Tun

It has been learned that the SPDC [State Peace and Development
Council] has seized a car with drug refining paraphernalia near
the Mong Yu checkpoint of Muse Township in Shan State on 4 February.
The car belonged to the Kachin Defense Army, KDA, led by U Mahtu Naw,
which had signed a cease-fire agreement with the SPDC.  The car is
believed to have been captured by SPDC forces while avoiding the Mong
Yu-105 mile checkpoint and taking a detour along Muse-(Kyin San Kyawt)
route. It was also learned that two KDA uniforms, a KDA identification
card, and paraphernalia--28 glass tubes, an oil funnel, opium filter
paper, and many ladles--used in refining heroin were seized.

The two arrested were Sub-Lieutenant Tu Ming Ho and Private Lui Par
from the Muse-based KDA No. 1 Special Economic Department. They are
currently in custody at the Muse Police Station.

The U Mahtu Naw-led KDA, a faction of the Kachin Independence Army,
KIA, 4th Brigade, broke away from the main Kachin Independence
Organization, KIO, and signed a peace agreement with the State Law
and Order Restoration Council, SLORC, in January 1991.  At the time
of the cease-fire agreement with the SLORC, their faction was named
Kachin National Development and Security Army but was later changed
to the Kachin Defense Army, KDA.  The KDA has been permitted to attend
the SLORC-sponsored National Convention and is allowed to engage in
some economic enterprises.

The KDA leader, U Mahtu Naw, was named as a narcotics dealer in the
United States government drug report.

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: BRIEFS
[abridged]

FD URGED TO GIVE PRIORITY ON COMBATING ILLEGAL LOGGING

YANGON, 5 March -- Minister for Forestry U Aung Phone yesterday urged
officials of Forest Department to give priority to the work combating
illega1 logging and trafficking.

Personnel at different levels will face severe punishment for failure
to seize illegal logs or gather  information on illegal logging, he
said at his meeting with district level officials of FD at the
department.

He also suggested means to set up teak and other forest plantations
as targeted and to establish  forest land outside reserve areas to
effectively conserve watershed areas.

Myanmar Timber Enterprise should draw work plans and should work within
the framework of the  plans to meet the targets, he stressed, urging FD
to render assistance.

YANGON TO GET 20,000 MORE CDMA LINES

YANGON, 5 March - Myanma Posts and Telecommunications and Ucom
International (Singapore) have agreed to install 20,000 more CDMA
radio telephone lines in Yangon to boost the city's local and
international direct dialling IDD capacity.

CDMA like auto-radio system can make direct dialing to towns in
Myanmar with auto-exchange stations and abroad.

Managing Director of MPT Col Maung Maung Tin and Vice-President
of Ucom Mr Herbert William Gledhill signed the contract this
morning at Post and Telegraph Training School in the presence
of Minister for Communications, Posts and Telegraphs Brig-Gen
Win Tin and officials.

Under the contract the Singaporean company will supply CDMA
equipment manufactured by Qualcomm Inc (USA) of America.

Another 3,000 CDMA lines are being installed in Yangon under
the agreement reached in 26 August 1996.

STUDENTS SPORTS FESTIVALS BEING HELD IN ROTATION TO ENHANCE FRATERNAL
RELATIONS, JUST AS BORDER ROAD UPGRADING BOOSTS DEVELOPMENT OF REGION

YANGON, 4 March Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council
Lt-Gen Khin  Nyunt supervised preparations for holding the Student Sports
Festival in Haka Township, Chin  State, developing of Tunzan and Kalay
townships and Kabaw region and preservation of ancient  cultural heritage
in Bagan on 2 and 3 March.

SPDC: INFORMATION SHEET NO.A-0343 (I)

MYANMAR WOMEN ENJOYING STATUS EQUAL TO MEN

A ceremony to observe the International Women's Day was held at the
International Business Centre on 8 March. The Myanmar National Working
Committee for Women's Affairs formulated and is implementing the Myanmar
National Action Plan for the Advancement of Women, with a view to speeding
up efforts for the implementation of future tasks in line with the objectives
of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action adopted by the fourth
World Conference on Women, the policy of the State and the political,
economic and social objectives. The Myanmar National Working committee
for Women's Affairs, subcommittee and state-, division-, district- and
township-level working committees were formed, and endeavours are being
made for the development of women.

In a bid to strive to increase family income, assistance has been provided
for vocational training of women and for the establishment of small-scale
cooperative societies, and loans are extended to poor families to be able to
run small-scale  businesses.  Research on elimination of all forms of
violence and abuse against women and their rehabilitation is being done,
and talks on culture are being held and religious courses conducted to
guard against penetration of alien culture.

SPDC: INFORMATION SHEET NO.A-0342 (I)

MYANMAR RADIO AND TV DIRECTOR GENERAL LEAVES FOR UNICEF CONFERENCE

Director-General of Myanma Radio and TV and Chief Programme Communication
and Information Section of UNICEF Myanmar, left Yangon by air for Britain
to attend the Second World Summit on TV for Children to be held in London.

LONDON-MYANMAR OPEN CONTINUES

London-Myanmar Open golf tournament continued at Bagan Resort Golf Club
in Bagan, on 7 March for the third day. Robert Huxtable of the United
States is leading for the third straight day with 209 strokes, and
Vivek Bhandari of India is behind him with 210.  Taimur Hussain of
Pakistan, Eedtur Dy of the United States, Jyoti Randhawa of India and
Prayad Marksaeng of Thailand tie at 211 strokes for third place. Other
golfers who are included in today's top ten are Jaurav The of India with
212, Zhang Lian-Wei of China with 212, Tharliew of Korea with 213 and Ed
Fryatt of Britain with 213.  The tournament continues tomorrow for the
final day.

BANGKOK PHUCHATKAN: BURMESE SPY ACTIVITIES IN THAILAND VIEWED
3 March, 1998 / p. 27 [translated from Thai]
by Ekkarat Banleng

Burma-007 Spies on Thai Soil

During a National Security Council meeting in Chiang Rai Province last
year, Third Army Region Commander Lt. Gen. Thanom Watcharaphut said:
"The issue of our current interests is the increasing significance attached
to the intelligence operation in Asia by the Burmese military regime. Twenty
to 30 percent of the budget for the Burmese military development has been
used by the MIS or the Military Intelligence Service."

A Thai military intelligence unit operating in the northern region has
reaffirmed that Burma's intelligence network, the fourth most efficient
in the world, has been applying techniques used by secret services of many
countries, including Israel's Mossad, MI-6 of the United Kingdom, CIA, FBI,
and KGB.

The defeat of "Khun Sa's" empire was a good example witnessed by Thai
people that showed the efficiency of the MIS.  The MIS spent entire four
years to gather necessary information on military movements and weaknesses
of the Mong Tai Army in Shan State before Khun Sa was eventually pressured
to surrender to the Burmese Government.

The latest achievement of the Burmese secret service was the downfall
of Gen. Bo Mya's  KNU [Karen National Union] army that resulted from
ongoing armed confrontations between Buddhist and Christian Karen troops
in areas bordering Thailand's Tak and Mae Hong Son Provinces.

The MIS has been used by the Burmese Government as an intelligence
tool to settle problems with minority groups along the border with
Thailand.

We can say that, up to now, the MIS has been successful to a certain
extent because all anti-government ethnic groups are now exhausted.

An anti-Burmese Government source revealed that the MIS has 27 battalions
with its headquarters in Rangoon.  Each battalion has its own number, and
a number between one and 28--except 13--is used for the battalion number.
Number 13 is left out because it is considered unlucky. Each MIS battalion
is staffed with only 50 to 60 personnel whose ranks are not lower than
corporal.

The source said that the recruitment of MIS battalion members is very
complicated.  Candidates must possess a wide range of qualifications and
pass security clearance and numerous tests. New recruits are required to
undergo a training course for three to four months before being sent out
to work.

Each state and division in Burma supposed to have two MIS units, but Shan
State is an exceptional case because there are five MIS units. For example,
Battalions No. 1 and 16 are stationed in Mandalay, Battalions No. 2 and 3
in Taunggyi, Battalion No. 3 in Toungoo, Battalion No. 4 in Bassein,
Battalion No. 5 in Moulmein, and Battalions No. 6, 7, and 8 in Rangoon,
and so on.

Moreover, the source disclosed that the MIS has also sent its personnel to
work in Thailand by disguising them as beggars. Prior to a cabinet meeting
held in Chiang Rai Province on 29 July 1997, Provincial Governor Wichan
Chaiyanan ordered the suppression of Burmese beggars in the municipal area
and sent more than 10 beggars back to Burma. The MIS spies have been sent
to Thailand as beggars, laborers, and even Buddhist monks.

The abbot of Papao Temple, Inta Inthawiro, said he believed that Burmese
workers might be spying for the Burmese Government because they know all
the places in the country.

Burmese workers are scattered all over Thailand, especially in the
northern provinces of Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Lampang,
Phrae, and Phayao.

A big fire that broke out at Sichum Temple in Lampang Province in mid-1997
could be a coincidence that shed light on Burmese spying activities. Two
Burmese monks were accepted to stay at the temple as requested by the
Burmese Government.  Not very long after the two Burmese monks were allowed
to stay at the temple, a big fire broke out and badly damaged the temple.

In a letter sent to the Thai Foreign Ministry, the Burmese Government said
it wanted the two monks to stay at the temple because the temple was
built by Burmese architects some 200 years ago when northern Thailand was
under the Burmese rule.

Besides the two Burmese monks, Alexander Sebastian, a westerner holding
a Burmese citizenship and who was once elected as a member of the temple's
administrative committee, was suspected of masterminding the
blaze.

According to the investigation conducted by a Thai intelligence
agency, Sebastian was an English teacher at the evening school at the
temple.  Five or six years ago, he lived in Chiang Mai and carried fake
Thai citizen identification card.  He married in Lampang and used his
teaching career as a cover for his spy mission.

Sebastian was, in fact, an MIS spy sent to work in Thailand since
1987.

Today many Burmese Buddhist monks are still illegally living at
several temples in Lampang because they have not renewed their entry visas.

Phraracha Khunnaphon, chief of ecclesiastical organization of Lampang
Province, said: "I believe that many provinces are facing the same problem.
 We do not know their objectives and we have no way to keep them under
surveillance.  Many Burmese monks failed to renew their entry visas.
However, ecclesiastical authorities are making sure that the problem will
not affect relations between the two countries."

It has been known that Burmese immigrants normally sneak into Thailand
via Mae Sot District of Tak Province and Mae Sai District of Chiang Rai
Province.

An intelligence officer of the Supreme Command Headquarters revealed
that most of the MIS spies first migrated to Mae Sot before being sent to
other places such as Sichum Temple in Lampang, Burmese Temple in Chiang Mai
Province, and Mandalay Temple in Mae Hong Son Province.
It has been learned that the Burmese Temple, which is situated right
in the heart of Chiang Mai Province, has secret rooms under the monks'
living quarters.

The intelligence officer said: "A surveillance operation was once
conducted, but it was rather difficult to keep all of them under close
surveillance because there are thousands of MIS spies. They are divided in
groups of ten, and they disguise themselves as construction workers,
students, democracy advocates, and so on all over Thailand."

Originally, MIS spies were assigned to assist military operations
against anti-government ethnic groups along the border with Thailand.
However, after the admission of Burma into the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations, they have a new mission. They are now ordered to gather
information pertaining to domestic and international economic developments.

With more works to do, the MIS sent more spies to work in different
targeted areas.  These spies are mingling with millions of both legal and
illegal Burmese workers who are now scattered all over Thailand.
If illegal workers are thoroughly screened before being pushed out of
the country, we might be able to get hold of some Burmese military officers
who are sent to work in Bangkok as commanders of spy units.

[Phuchatkan is a business-oriented daily newspaper produced in Bangkok]

IRRAWADDY: SUU KYI "KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN"
28 February, 1998 / VOL6 NO1,
Editorial

Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's recent response to a question
posed by a foreign journalist of forming a coalition government with the
ruling junta surprised dissidents, her supporters and even her party members.

The 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner said: "We are keeping all our options
open."

In any case, it's doubtful the military junta, now known as the State
Peace and Development Council [SPDC] is interested in sharing power. Many
generals in the old faction remain steadfastly against any rapprochement
with the opposition National League for Democracy. "This is a transition
government," a junta spokesman explained.

The ruling junta maintains its leading role in Burmese politics. Thus, when
a new constitution is completed, a quarter of the seats in Parliament will
be reserved for the military.

"They are completing the National Convention in October this year," said
a political analyst in Bangkok, "and there will be a fresh elections next
year."

The military-sponsored National Convention has been on and off again for
five years and Suu Kyi's party, the NLD walked out on the convention in
1995. Absolute or unconditional power sharing with the junta will be
unacceptable for the people of Burma some dissidents in exile said.

So, as the military refuses to negotiate while continuing to tighten its
screw on the activists, opposition at home and abroad are finding new ways
to break political impasse.

"Activists and politicians in the opposition side became more matured and
down to earth", said a prominent Bangkok-based dissident who requested
anonymity.

"She is shooting two birds with one stone," commented another activist
based in Northern Thailand. "One is the government, the other is her party
members and those who said she is stubborn. The message shows that she is
very flexible."

Recent political crackdown

In Rangoon, the political stalemate and constant crackdown on activists
continue. Before and after UN special envoy Alvaro deSoto's January visit
to Rangoon, dozens of activists and monks were briefly detained.

Thus, for now, the junta continues to do what it does best - harassing the
opposition. Shortly before Suu Kyi was interviewed recently at NLD Deputy
Chairman Tin Oo's house, the electricity was mysteriously cut. It wasn't
until the dozen or so military intelligence officers milling around outside
spotted Suu Kyi being driven away that power was restored.

In spite of major shake-ups and internal rifts within the junta, it seems
the generals are united and determined in their common goal to put down
their political foes. "Democracy is their common enemy so they always stick
to one another," said Hla Htun, an opponent in exile.

Economic hardship

Burma's political situation has always been closely linked to the fate
of its economy. The economy in Burma is currently in shambles showing
no signs of immediate recovery.

The result is foreign and local businessmen have lost confidence in the
current military government.

"I have been sitting in my office and doing nothing for almost six months,"
bemoans another foreign businessman.

Inflation is officially at 26 per cent a year. Unofficially, it is 38 per
cent. Corruption is endemic. The junta's ambitious tourism campaign is a
total failure with brand-new luxury hotels standing virtually deserted,
some registering an occupancy rate of no more than 10 per cent. Unemployment
is soaring while schools and universities remain closed since 1996.

In January this year the SPDC shut down more institutes and even terminated
correspondence courses.

However, the gulf between the rich and the poor, which has widened visibly
over the past few years, remains the single most threatening source of
possible discontent. "Even among the businessmen in Rangoon calls for
change is rising," says a  journalist in the capital.

Political analysts in Rangoon repeatedly warn that social unrest could
erupt anytime.

Local businessmen in downtown Rangoon are now complaining more loudly
than before against the junta's economic impotence: "I think if they
keep going at this rate everything will collapse before April."

His prediction might be wishful thinking as the junta's grip on power
appears unassailable, but there are clear indications that things are
not going well for the junta.

In December, hundreds of textile workers in Pegu went on strike demanding
better pay. Though the authorities quickly put down the workers, analysts
said similar strikes in other factories could take place anytime.

In early February workers rallied near Namtu mine in Lashio, Shan State,
demanding better wages and better working conditions, according to local
sources.

"We thought there would be a major and positive change in economic policies
when corrupt ministers were removed [in 1997] but nothing has changed,"
says a Burmese managing director for Taiwanese-run company.

"After [the generals] embracing the open-market economy the only booming
business here is prostitution," quipped a former activist now selling
noodles in Rangoon.

Thus it won't be too surprising to see if there is any social and political
outbreak in the near future.

Given this, the NLD expects the military would come to the negotiation table.

Recently, an article written by Robert D. Kaplan for the US-based
Atlantic Monthly magazine described the future of democracy and hybrid
regimes around the world.

He wrote: "Aung San Suu Kyi may one day bear the title of leader of Burma,
but only with the tacit approval of a co-governing military."

"On the other hand," said an analyst, "the generals don't want to believe
that they [NLD and SPDC] need each other."

Now Suu Kyi contends all options are open. She is even saying low-level
dialogue can begin without her participation.

The SPDC must response to the NLD's offer of a genuine dialogue.

Philippine President Fidel Ramos said that the SPDC was holding low-level
meetings with the opposition which could lead to talks between leaders of
the two sides.

"What we are seeing now is the dialogues are taking place at lower levels
building up to the very top of the leadership," he told reporters after
meeting SPDC chairman Senior General Than Shwe in Manila.

Ironically, there is no confirmation from Rangoon that recent meetings have
taken place between SPDC and NLD.

One thing is certain: The Rangoon Club faces tough challenges and pressure
ahead.

The question now is how much longer are they going to pull through?

encouraged
to suggest targets, write model letters and/or send them!

letters@xxxxxxxxx
   word "Subscribe" as the first line of the message text.
   If you have an important question or information to send
   to this group without subscribing, address it to
   letters-moderator@xxxxxxxxxx

Burma.net also hosts a dozen other dedicated groups focusing discussion on
everything from refugees to boycotts.  For more information send an email
to info@xxxxxxxxx or visit http://burma.net.

ABFSU: CALL FOR SOLIDARITY TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COMMUNITY
7 March, 1998 [English slightly corrected]

Request to the International Student Community by the All Burma Federation
of Students' Union

The All Burma Federation of Students' Union (ABFSU) has struggled to
improve the Burmese education system to enable students to enjoy their
basic student rights in Burma. During the rule of Burmese military regime
(formerly the SLORC, now called SPDC) students have been increasingly
denied their rights and educational freedom, and the SPDC's oppression
of students has become more intense and widespread. At the same time,
many student movements took place to try and improve the situation.
As a result the SPDC military regime is always trying to attack the ABFSU
and to crush all the student movements. The ABFSU is not allowed to exist
legally and has had to organize itself and struggle secretly under the
military rule.

We, the ABFSU are deeply concerned about the future of our country because
all the universities and colleges have been closed for such a long time,
except for the Institute of Medicine and the Institute of Technology, which
the regime kept open just for the military and their families. During the
last ten years of military rule, the universities and colleges for civilians
have only been opened for 28 months.

Min Ko Naing, the chairperson of the ABFSU was arrested in 1989 and he
has been detained in solitary confinement for almost 10 years up until
the present. His health condition is now critical. Since January 1989,
we, the ABFSU and all other student unions have been demanding that the
regime release all student prisoners, including the chairperson Min Ko
Naing. Soon after the movement began, over one hundred students were
arrested again. Some of them were sentenced to long term imprisonment.
Chairperson Min Ko Naing and over one thousand other students are now
in various prisons all over Burma.

Therefore, we would like to request the international student community
to understand and support our movement in Burma and to undertake regional
activities to pressure the SPDC military regime to immediately do the
following;

(a) To reopen all universities and colleges
(b) To release chairperson Min Ko Naing and all student prisoners,
unconditionally.

Students' Action Committee
All Burma Federation of Students' Union (ABFSU)
Rangoon
March 7,1998.

TOURISM CONCERN: BURMA, TOURISM AND HUMAN RIGHTS

Just to let you know... Tourism Concern has been campaigning on Burma and
tourism for the last few years, particularly focussing on the UK press and
tourism industry.

We are now incorporating this work into a wider framework - a report we are
doing on Tourism and Human Rights.  This will have an international focus but
will include Burma as a major area of concern.  We will use the report to
start
a long-term campaign raising the issues within the UK government departments
and the UK tourism industry.

We would be pleased to hear from anyone who has information that would be
useful for our work, or ideas for campaigning.

We have heard a lot about the plight of the Padaung in recent weeks in the
'tourism human zoos' and would be particularly interested in hearing from
anyone who knows if there is an NGO campaigning on this that we could tie
up with?

Many thanks
Sue Wheat