News in the Indian Paperas

That's Petition US to Discuss Human Rights in Burma
The Asian Age

Bangkok, March 10: A group of activists staged a protest outside the US
embassy on Tuesday and delivered a letter urging President Clinton to
discuss human rights in Burma with Thai Prime Minister during his visit to
Washington.

A group of about 20 people, led by the Thai Action Committee for Democracy
in Burma, staged a play outside the embassy with a man dressed as a member
of an ethnic minority group from Burma. His legs were chained and he was
beaten by a man dressed as a Burmese soldier.

The group which later delivered its letter to a US political officer, said
it was trying to draw attention to the human rights abuses in Burma and
urged the US president to show concern over the situation.

"Prime Minister of Thailand Chuan Leekpai will soon visit the US
government," the letter said. "This will be a good opportunity for your
Excellency to express strong concern on human rights violations in Burma,"
the letter said. It urged Mr Clinton, who has already approved economic
sanctions on Burma, to pressure US business to withdraw their investments
from Burma. (Reuter)

Fernandes Rules Out Joining Govt. (Excerpt)
The Hindu

New Delhi, March 10: The Samata Party leader, Mr George Fernandes, today
said, "As a person, I will not be a part of the Government (formed by BJP)
but my party members would participate in forming the government. We want
to strengthen the BJP at the center and all our efforts would be directed
towards this end."

Mr Fernandes said he had a much bigger agenda outside of Government. "
First and foremost will be to teach Swadeshi and a whole lot of issues.
Second, my concern about human rightas within the country as well as in
neighboring countries like Bhutan, Myanmar, Tibet and so on. Thirdly,
problems of the working classes and those related to them.

Burma Info (CCN)
New Delhi.