No Subject Given

NATIONAL   COUNCIL   OF   THE   UNION   OF   BURMA

Statement on Attack against Huay Kaloke Refugee Camp by Combined Force of
SPDC and DKBA
At about midnight of March 10, 1998, a combined force of the Democratic
Kayin Buddhist Army (DKBA) and the State Peace and Development Council
(SPDC), the military dictatorship of Burma, with a strength of about 200
men, attacked Huay Kaloke refugee camp, in Maesod township, with light as
well as heavy weapons, and then burnt down the houses of the refugees. The
camp has been home to the refugees from Burma who had to abandon their
native land because of the civil war. We, the NCUB, strongly condemn this
attack against a place which is entirely non-military. The DKBA is not the
only one which is  responsible for this act, but the SPDC which has been
aiding the DKBA from behind must also be held equally responsible. More
than 40 refugees have been wounded and 2 have been killed in the attack.
More than 7,000 refugees have been rendered homeless, as 9 of the 11 wards,
having more than 1,000 houses,  have been totally burnt down. As most of
the wounded are in serious condition, there is a possibility, later on, of
some of them succumbing to their injuries.
	It is a heinous and detestable act to launch a military attack against a
refugee camp which has nothing to do with military matter. This act of
inhumanity by the DKBA and SPDC has lowered the dignity of the country in
the eyes of the World.  We, the NCUB, will keep on record the act of DKBA
and SPDC as the most inhuman act, and we would like to earnestly urge the
World to also condemn the DKBA and SPDC military clique which have
committed this inhuman act.
	Additionally, we would like to request organizations and individuals to
come to the assistance of the destitute and homeless refugees, as soon as
possible. What we would like submit as a special request  and matter of
urgency is for the Royal Thai Government and the Thai people to react
strongly against the DKBA and SPDC military clique, without delay, as the
act was a serious violation of the sovereignty of Thailand and a direct
insult to the Thai Government and the Thai people. Moreover, this incident
shows that a great danger would befall the refugees if they were forcibly
repatriated to the hands of the SPDC. Therefore, we would like to urge the
Thai Government to shelve the plan of repatriating the refugees to their
native land and to take measures for ensuring the safety and security of
the refugees.

National Council of the UNION of Burma
March 11, 1998