KNL Rejects Myanmar Embassy Press R

>From:	KNLcomm:

Released by Department of Information and Communication Karen National League
Notes from Karen National League

 Recent armed attack on Huaykaloke Karen Refugee Camp provoked international
outcries.   Many Burmese opposition groups, non-governmental organizations and
government agencies released their statements of concern over the situation of
the refugees and demanded the Burmese military regime to stop killing its own
people.

Also, several international media and news agencies released several reports
about the incident.    Reporting to the world about this ruthless armed attack
on innocent civilian refugees, some stated in their reports that it was done
by "renegade Karen faction supported by Burmese military regime."  But sadly
enough, some did not even mention either the Burmese military regime or SPDC,
instead simply put "DKBA troops attack refugees camp."   Regrettably, the Thai
government portrayed the incident as "problem between Karen and Karen" and
completely omitted SPDC (formerly SLORC) from the scene.

For the sake of clarification, the following is a letter received by the Karen
National League from a former DKBA member.  We hope those who simply want to
blame DKBA and portray the situation as "Karen killing Karen" can understand
the matter better and see it clearer by reading this letter.

A Former DKBA Member Speaks -  (This letter is slightly edited by KNL
communication department by omiting the year, the name and the place for the
author's security and privacy).

Hi Everyone,  Let me join the group. I'm from Kya-in-sate-kyi, Karen State. I
came to (overseas) in 19__ , just after DKBA split from KNU. I was in DKBA
army for about 6 months. I was confused about why DKBA split from KNU. Here,
everybody!  Listern carefully.  I'm a Buddhist by generation. My parents and
relatives are Buddhists. But at the same time, I have many Christian friends
who helped me when I was in trouble. When I joined KNU, most of my comrades
were Christian Karens. We lived together, fought for freedom together, and
suffered together. When time was very rough for Karen people in Karen State, I
was still with DKBA. I saw some Burmese troops in some areas who got involve
in the Karen conflict. I realized DKBA was born at the wrong time since it
cannot stand up on its own. Moreover, it's influenced by the Burmese military.
After that, we discussed about DKBA with some comrades.

One day, the day that I didn't remember the date exactly, we went to a village
in Kya-in-sate-kyi district.  That village was burnt down by the Burmese
soldiers according to the villagers' information.  Half population of that
village is Buddhists and the rest are Christian and animists. Something really
went wrong.  We are DKBA, but we didn't do it. It is in our control area.  How
can we burn down our Karen village? It's impossible.  Some of the villagers
added, "We are forced to say that our houses were burnt down by DKBA.  But we
know the truth. We know Karen soldiers did not do it.  How can we lie for
them?  But, we are forced to lie.   We'll be tortured if they know we tell the
truth."

Hi everybody,   Here you will clearly see DKBA didn't do it, but the Burmese
soldiers.  I was so mad and screamed very loud in front of villagers. I said I
would revenge them. But it was too late. It was a very good lesson for us. We
are too honest, so we don't know we are used by the Burmese Military. One
month later, I quit from DKBA quietly and went to my uncle who is in Thailand.
I didn't dare to go to KNU side because it was not the time to go.  Situation
was very complicating enough to go there.  I decided not to contact anybody.

It's not the time to tell about my story yet. I'm glad to find this Website by
the assistance of my  xxxxxxxx friend.  I'm not alone.  Anyway, let me keep
myself secret and let me keep in touch with you.  I'll visit this web-site
very often.  Please tell to the world that we Karen Buddhists are not
murderers.  Please tell to the world that who really murderers are. Don't
waste the time.    Please forgive me if my English doesn't make sense.

Saw (                 ) March 15, 1998 at 18:10:23: