Suu Kyi Says 'No Justice, No Rule o

Suu Kyi says 'no justice, no rule of law' in Myanmar

 .c Kyodo News Service

BANGKOK, April 2 (Kyodo) - Myanmar's pro-democracy leader and 1991 Nobel Peace
Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi said human rights violations in Myanmar
continue despite the ruling junta's name change.

''There are those who ask whether the transition from SLORC (the military
regime's former name) to SPDC (the current name) has meant an improvement in
the human rights situation. As far as I can see, there has been no improvement
at all,'' said Suu Kyi, leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD), in
a videotaped speech smuggled out of Yangon and presented to the U.N.
Commission on Human Rights.

''In fact I could say that I am inclined to think that things have even got
worse,'' she said.

The military regime, formerly known as the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC), changed its name last November to the State Peace and
Development Council (SPDC). The junta, which has been in power for 10 years,
refused to recognize the landslide victory of Suu Kyi'S NLD in the 1990
elections.

Suu Kyi, who was released from six years of house arrest in July 1995, said
the crackdown on pro-democracy activists is still going on, with approximately
100 activists seized since the beginning of this year.

''There is no justice in Burma today. There is no rule of law. Anybody can be
arrested at any time on any pretext and be given the maximum sentence possible
and nobody would be in a position to protest,'' she said.