Open Letter to Mr. Soba

Dear Mr. Soba:-

We are agreed: Democracy must go hand in hand with responsibility.  The
question at issue is:  What is the nature of responsible public discussion
in a democracy?

Let's agree on something else.  Public discussion of the kind that takes
place on the Internet or in the printed press must seek to give expression
to the truth. Those who who publish rumours they know to be false are
acting irresponsibly and deserve to be exposed for what they are: public
liars whose word cannot be trusted.

The differences between rumour, propaganda, opinion and reporting of the
news are not always clear, however.  That is the great advantage of the
open society which goes hand in hand with responsible democracy.  In the
open society it is possible to freely engage in public discussion through
the printed press or the Internet.  In the give and take of such discussion
rumours can be shown to be what they are: just rumours with nothing of
substance to them or genuine reports of something that can be verified.

But there is another factor that is important if we are to have real public
discussion in an open and responsible society.  Responsibility means that
we can hold one another to account for the words we write and openness
means that we can do so without fear of repression.

Mr. Soba, I give you credit.  You are willing to put your name to the ideas
and opinions you give expression to.  You are willing to be held
accountable as an individual.  Just as we know who is willing to take
responsibility for recent articles alleging the persecution of Muslims,
that have been questioned by you and others.  There must be accountability
if we are to have the kind of free and open discussion that lies at the
heart of responsible democracy.

Unfortunately, the unnamed person or corporate body that posts your ideas
on the BurmaNet is not willing to be held accountable in the same way that
you are.  He or she cannot or will not say who is responsible for what they
write under the pseudonym of OKKAR66127.  In other words they take
advantage of the freedom to discuss openly without being willing to be held
accountable for their words.

Personally, I have no interest in knowing the name of the individual or
persons who write under the pseudonym of OKKAR66127.   Newspapers do not
always publish the names of those who write their news reports or editorial
comments.  But in the end, someone with a real name or some identifiable
group must take courage in their hands and stand up and say that they are
ready to be held accountable for what is written.

Thank you for your reflections on this important matter.  I look forward to
your continuing contributions to this discussion.

Eric Snider
BurmaNews - BC