Myanmar sees eventual return to civ

Excerpts from (Reuters)
DHAKA, April 17 , 09:26 a.m. Apr 17, 1998 Eastern

Myanmar sees eventual return to civilian rule-Gyaw

DHAKA, April 17 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military government would leave
power and allow a return to civilian rule once ``a strong constitution
and strong foundation for democracy'' were in place, Foreign Minister
Ohn Gyaw said on Friday.

``We are trying to create conditions for a disciplined democracy. We
do not want to create a democracy that will create some difficulties
for our people,'' he told reporters after the first round of talks
with his Bangladeshi counterpart, Abdus Samad Azad.

Bangladeshi officials said the Myanmar minister, who arrived in Dhaka
on Thursday for a three-day visit, would continue talks with Azad.

Gyaw said elections would be held when a strong constitution was
``established.'' He gave no timeframe for the polls or for the return
of democracy.

``The military will not hold onto power for long. Now is the period
when (we) need to build a strong foundation of democracy,'' he said.

Bangladeshi officials said the two ministers also discussed ways to
resume the repatriation of some 21,000 ``Rohingya'' Moslem refugees
from camps in Bangladesh. Their repatriation to Myanmar has been
stalled since April, 1997.

Some 250,000 Rohingyas fled to Bangladesh's southeastern Cox' Bazar
region in 1992, escaping alleged persecution and forced labour by
Yangon's military junta.

Most have returned under supervision of the U.N. High Commissioner for
Refugees (UNHCR) following an agreement signed by Dhaka and Yangon in
September 1992.

Gyaw said his visit aimed to enhance bilateral relations, promote
trade and commerce, and set up a joint-commission.

When asked about the progress on refugee repatriation, the Bangladesh
minister said: ``Let us wait for further talks.''

Azad said expansion of trade and setting up of a joint-commission
figured prominently during the two-hour talks.