The BurmaNet News: April 21, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: April 21, 1998
Issue #988

HEADLINES:
===========
ABSDF: NLD REPRESENTATIVE GIVEN 25 YEARS
BKK POST: KAREN DEFECTOR PRAISES JUNTA
BKK POST: BORDER RAPID FORCE TO BE SET UP
THE NATION: THAIS, BURMESE TO TALK TOURISM
BKK POST (LETTER): WE WERE ABDUCTED
===========

ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT: NLD REPRESENTATIVE GIVEN 25 YEARS FOR
DOING MEDIA INTERVIEW

Media Release

The State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) sentenced Daw San San, an
elected representative of the National League for Democracy (NLD) from
Seikkan Constituency in Rangoon, to 25 years imprisonment earlier this
month for being interviewed by international media on June 26, 1997.

Daw San San was arrested on 28 October 1997 for doing an interview with the
Burmese Programme of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). In the
interview Daw San San was critical of the military regime.

The regime arrested and detained Daw San San under Section 10(a) of the
1975 State Protection Act, but in April this year reliable sources in
Rangoon say she was charged under the 1923 Official Secrets Act and
sentenced to 25 years.

Daw San San was detained along with Members of Parliament Dr. Than Nyein
and Dr. May Win Myint of the NLD, as well as five other NLD members. All
detainees, including Daw San San, were each given 6 year imprisonment under
Section 5(j) of the 1950 Emergency Provision Act each on 10 December 1997.

The SPDC, however, singled out Daw San San and attempted to force her to
promise to end her political activities. When she refused to comply with
the demand, she was then charged under the Official Secrets Act for doing
the interview with the BBC and her prison sentence was increased to 25
years. According to sources, no one has been allowed to see her since her
heavy sentencing.

Daw San San was first arrested in November 1990 and was sentenced to 20
years imprisonment under Penal Code Section 122, or 'high treason'.
However, she was released on 1 May 1992 during an amnesty. Since her first
detention, the military regime dismissed her as a Member of Parliament and
banned her from contesting any future election.

Daw San San actively participated in the 1988 uprising as the head of a
workers' union while she was employed at the Department of Labour. As a
result of her actions she was dismissed from her position as the
department's deputy-director.

BANGKOK POST: KAREN DEFECTOR PRAISES JUNTA

'Refugees need saving from murder camps'

A senior Karen defector said yesterday the leader of the ethnic rebels was
running "murder camps" at refugee sites on the Thai border and urged
Bangkok to help the refugees return to Burma.

Phado Aung San, a former member of the Karen National Union (KNU)
leadership who surrendered to the Burmese junta a fortnight ago, said most
rebels wanted peace with Rangoon but feared reprisals from their own leaders.

He said refugee camps in northern Thailand, housing thousands of ethnic
Karen, had become "murder camps" under the leadership of KNU chief Bo Mya.

"Uncle Mya, who claims to keep the door for peace open, at the same time
guards it with a big stick." Phado Aung San told a news conference in
Rangoon. "I would like to appeal to Thai authorities to allow my people to
return."

The KNU defector heaped praise on the Burmese military junta, which he said
had welcomed him with "open arms". "I hope my reception here will dispel
any doubts about the sincerity of the military government and encourage
others to follow my example," Phado Aung San said.

BANGKOK POST: BORDER RAPID FORCE TO BE SET UP

A Bangkok-based rapid deployment force is to be established for combat
operations along the borders with Burma and Cambodia, an army source said.

Gen Chettha Thanajaro, the army chief, has picked the 11th Infantry
Regiment for this purpose. The 1st Battalion will be first to undergo
training this month, followed by the 2nd and 3rd battalions.

The units would be ready around the clock for deployment and combat
operations, especially along border territory under the jurisdiction of the
First Army Area.

THE NATION: THAIS, BURMESE TO TALK TOURISM

PM'S Office Minister Jurin Laksanavisit plans to hold talks with senior
Burmese officials on tourism cooperation between the two countries at the
end of the month.

The talks will aim at loosening, harmonising and boosting the tourism
industry under the Golden Quadrangle Economic Cooperation plan, whose
members are Burma, Thailand, south China and Laos.

Thailand and Burma signed an agreement on academic cooperation in 1994 to
facilitate tourism information. It is expected that Thailand would assist
Burma on training and airport development. Burma is also a member of the
Mekong Subregion Economic Cooperation, which comprises of Thailand,
Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and China.

The two cooperations will help Thailand become a gateway to neighbouring
countries.

Apart from the cooperation plans between the two countries, Thailand also
wants to create a seamless travel package among the nine Asean nations.

Earlier this month Jurin approached the Cambodian secretary of state for
tourism with proposals to facilitate travel by land, air and sea between
the two countries.

For land travel Thailand had proposed to issue visas at Poi Pet for both
Thai and foreign visitors, while an airlink would be made between Ubon
Rachathani and Siem Reap.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has also decided to relax
immigration regulations for Chinese visitors entering the country through
Chiang Rai.

Jurin added that the TAT had sought government approval for the issue of
border passes instead of visas for Chinese visitors entering the country
through the north but the National Security Council had not approved it.

He also said that the TAT had asked the Foreign Ministry to shorten the
process of visa issuance to one day. It now takes from three to five days.

BANGKOK POST: WE WERE ABDUCTED

POST BAG

Letter to the Editor from Nick Cheesman

I refer to your article "Captive guests" of Apr 9, which I've only read
recently. I and my colleague are deeply concerned by the factual errors
contained in this and other media reports regarding our recent abduction.

For the record, I wish to reiterate that at no time did we cross the border
into Burma voluntarily. We were forced to cross in the face of a threat
posed by armed gunmen who ordered us to do so. Furthermore, and I stress at
absolutely no point have I ever stated that we voluntarily crossed the
river  from Thailand to Burma. Any reports to the contrary are utterly
false.

At no stage during the period of our detention were we free to return of
our own accord. We were kept under armed guard for the entire time.
However, we were not mistreated by the DKBA.

(Postbag Editor's note: Mr Cheesman and his co-worker were released on Apr
1 a week after being taken into Burma at gunpoint by DKBA guerrillas.)