8th elections anniversary

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01BD896C.F01938E0

Today (27-5-98) is the 8th anniversary of Burma's 1990 free and fair =
elections.  The elections were held by then Law and Order Restoration =
Council (SLORC - presently known as SPDC). =20

Before the elections, the SLORC repeatedly promised to transfer power to =
democratically elected representatives of the people.  When the election =
results were known, they were supposed to allow the elected =
representatives to gather and form People's Assembly to which the three =
branches of power would subsequently be transferred.   However, when the =
SLORC failed to get the desired result from the elections, they =
blatantly broke their promise and ignored the election rules.   Yet =
according to the SLORC's own declaration No. 1/90, the duty of the =
elected representatives was to draw up the constitution.  If that really =
was the case, only they should have been allowed to frame the =
constitution as a Constitutional Convention (Constituent Assembly). =20

Soon after 1988 military coup and formation of the SLORC, Chairman =
General Saw Maung announced on September 23:  "All the Armed Forces =
personnel, my colleagues and I would like to solemnly promise not to =
hold on to power for a long time.  We will not break this promise for =
any reason.  Moreover, we additionally promise that the Armed Forces, =
after transferring power to democratically elected civilian government =
which will emerge from a free and fair election, shall only perform its =
principal tasks of defence, security of the states and maintaining law =
and order and etc..."

Where is the "solemn promise" of the military dictators today?  How =
shameful they are!=20

They should know that the people's democratic movement is unstopable and =
should take lessons from Thailand, South Korea, The Philippines and =
Indonesia before it is too late.

Now is the time for oppressed Burmese people to patiently wait so that =
they can see the destruction of brutal generals soon by pro-democracy =
tatmadaw soldiers who will stand on the side of the people. =20

"Unity is Strength".  Shall all the Burmese people (inside and outside =
the country) be united.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01BD896C.F01938E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Today (27-5-98) is the 8th anniversary of =
Burma's 1990=20
free and fair elections.&nbsp; The elections were held by then Law and =
Order=20
Restoration Council (SLORC - presently known as =
SPDC).&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Before the elections, the SLORC repeatedly =
promised to=20
transfer power to democratically elected representatives of the =
people.&nbsp;=20
When the election results were known, they were supposed to allow the =
elected=20
representatives to gather and form People's Assembly to which the three =
branches=20
of power would subsequently be transferred.&nbsp;&nbsp; However, when =
the SLORC=20
failed to get the desired result from the elections, they blatantly =
broke their=20
promise and ignored the election rules.&nbsp;&nbsp; Yet according to the =
SLORC's=20
own declaration No. 1/90, the duty of the elected representatives was to =
draw up=20
the constitution.&nbsp; If that really was the case, only they should =
have been=20
allowed to frame the constitution as a Constitutional Convention =
(Constituent=20
Assembly).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Soon after 1988 military coup and formation =
of the=20
SLORC, Chairman General Saw Maung announced on September 23:&nbsp; =
&quot;All the=20
Armed Forces personnel, my colleagues and I would like to solemnly =
promise not=20
to hold on to power for a long time.&nbsp; We will not break this =
promise for=20
any reason.&nbsp; Moreover, we additionally promise that the Armed =
Forces, after=20
transferring power to democratically elected civilian government which =
will=20
emerge from a free and fair election, shall only perform its principal =
tasks of=20
defence, security of the states and maintaining law and order and=20
etc...&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Where is the &quot;solemn promise&quot; of =
the military=20
dictators today?&nbsp; How shameful they are!&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>They should know that the people's democratic =
movement=20
is unstopable and should take lessons from Thailand, South Korea, The=20
Philippines and Indonesia before it is too late.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>Now is the time for oppressed Burmese people =
to=20
patiently wait so that they can see the destruction of brutal generals =
soon by=20
pro-democracy <FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =
size=3D3><EM>tatmadaw</EM></FONT>=20
soldiers who will stand on the side of the people.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>&quot;Unity is Strength&quot;.&nbsp; Shall =
all the=20
Burmese people (inside and outside the country) be=20
united.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01BD896C.F01938E0--