THE NATION: ETHNIC CLEANSING: Rape (r)

Dear Pon Nya Mon

First,I am very glad to receive your letter based on the positive
altitude without any personal attack. Second, I impressed you as you are
trying to struggle for the innocent people.

Yes, the term "burmanized"  as I have already said is controversial. And
I  apologize you to use this term which is currently used by Military
regime. I took special care in this term as it is seemed to try to break
up the Union of nations of Country. So, I chose to use this term.

You see, whatever states in America ones live as citizens in they are
American. Some of them with different languages and cultures. Yes, Red
Indian is  red indian, black is black, white is white what more, they
are all Americans. The reason why they are called Americans is they live
under the same shell of Democracy, they are protected by the same
law,and they live in the locations which are belong to a geographic
place generally known and accepted as United States of America etc..

During the past years after independence, all of us are victims of
Dictatorships everyone of us has tragic stories. Not only ethnic
minorities but also majorities suffered from that.

>From my point of view, Karen knows most about Karen's strength and
weakness and so does Mon and others. And, by the time Democracy is for
the country they are the best leaders for their groups who are elected
fairly by their members of groups. The elected leader mainly strike for
the physical and moral progress of his or her region and towards the
common goal of country's progress on every corner.

Now, we all are struggling to bring Democracy to Country Myanmar and we
believe that at some day we sure will get it. By that time, there won't
be no military dictatorships and all of us under the same shell of
Democracy,protected by the same law, and live in locations which are
belong to geographic place generally known as "United States of Myanmar"
or "Union of Myanmar" whatever the name is it should  be agreed by all
inhabitants. By that time, you are still right Mon is Mon,Bamar is
Bamar,Kachin is Kachin, Karen is Karen,etc... what more they ought to be
the citizens of "Uni... Myanmars"  (this is my personal concept).( sorry
and apologize that I used Mon is Bamar, Karen is Bamar in my previous
letter without citizens and hope you forgive me)

>Instead of jointing Burmese army, they are joining their ethnic
>resistance groups to fight for their freedom. Please don't mixed up
>water and oil. Water can never be oil and oil can never be water.

Everyone fights for his freedom and success is certain when there is a
unity.

"OIL IS OIL AND WATER IS WATER,BUT THEY HAVE TO LAY IN THE SAME
       POND OR OCEAN AND CAN COOPERATE TOGETHER TO FILL UP"

With Best Wishes and Regards

Watcher
Ps. I welcome any comment on this letter.

>From notes@xxxxxxx Mon Jun  1 14:02:28 1998
>Date: 01 Jun 1998 12:42:56
>From: nyap01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: THE NATION: ETHNIC CLEANSING: Rape as weapon of war in
Burma
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Dear Mr. Watcher or whatever s_myanmar
>
>I strongly disagree the term "Burmanization" is belonged to all the
ethnic
>people in Burma. Burmanization is imposed by Burmese government which
is
>ruled  by majority Burman ethnic group. Burman is identified a majority
>ethnic group in Burma. The term "Burman' came out after 1988 when most
>ethnic groups tried to identify their ethnic identifications in Burma.
We
>also call
>Bamar in Burmese. I am sure that most Burmans are feel not comfortable
>use this term for their own ethnic identification.  Mon is Mon. Bamar
>is Bamar and so on.  They are differents in term of languages, culture,
>and literature.  Those differents ethnic groups are forced to live
>in one country. You can argue that Binlong  treaty was a consesus of
all
>ethinic group that wanted to live in one country as federation. But
this
>treaty has never been implemented. Eventually, all of these minority
>groups became under control the Burmese government who most them are
>Burman. Then the government implemented
>"ethnic cleasing policy" or Burmanization policy". If the government
>is really neutral, why they banned  Mon and other ethnic language to
teach
>in the
>school. I still remembered that when I was first grade. I was forced to
>speak Burmese. If I spoke Mon, I had to pay fine for 25 pyar (cent).
This
> [...]
>
>Pon Nya Mon
>Chairman
>Monland Restoration Council
>213 Cumberland Ave.
>Fort Wayne, In 46805
>USA
>Tel/fax 219-471-3961
>

>n 31 May 1998 s_myanmar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> You Wrote
>>

>> Evidence is increasing that the
>> >      Burmese soldiers and their commanders are employing
>> >      another tool of war against minority populations: the rape
>> >      of ethnic women. Earth Rights International (ERI) which
>> >      says that rapes also occur ''as part of a programme of
>> >      ***ethnic cleansing*****''.
>> >

>> >       a policy of '****blood mixing'' and Burmanisation**** of
>> initiated >  >       which offers monetary bonuses to soldiers who
>> >      ''occupy'' Shan women
>> >      ''We must deviously attack those who are not Burman in
>> >      economic as well as social ways,'' says the document.
>> >      ''The easiest way to implement these ideas is to occupy
>> >      [marry or impregnate] women who are not Burman.'' The
>> >      document goes on to offer a monthly financial reward to
>> >      ''anyone who can occupy a Shan woman''.
>> >
>> >      Hsaw Wa encountered the Burmanisation letter in three
>> >      different areas of Burma -- from two independent sources
>> >      who showed him the letter, and a . A member of a
>> >      local women's organisation, the woman told Apple last
>> >      year that ''the Burmese soldiers think Burman blood is the
>> >      best. People talk about the rape a lot. People say that the
>> >      Burmese soldiers want to make more Burman babies.''
>> >
>> >      ****''Great Ruling Burmans''**** to ''diligently convince
>> >      Shan women to gradually bow to Burmanisation'', is the
>> >      common belief among soldiers that they can win over
>> >      ethnic women through giving them sufficient sexual
>> >      pleasure to induce them to fall in love.  Burmese soldiers
>> >      can increase the majority population through more Burman
>> >      births [the offspring is considered to bear the ethnicity of
>> >      the father only] and decrease the number of ethnic
>> >      minorities through death resulting from sexually
>> >      transmitted diseases, botched abortions, suicides, and
>> >      actual injuries from the rapes,'' says the report.

>> Dear  ethnic minorities and majorities
>>

>> First,I like to condemn the act of raping and killing of women by
>> Army(Actually it should not called Burmese Army).And I would like to
>> show my sympathy to these victims as my mother ,as my sister , and as
my
>> daughter.
>>
>> The country Myanmar is Born from the Union of Ethnic groups including
>> Myanmar. It is very clear to say that whatever places in Myanmar you
>> belong to, you are definitely a Myanmar (Burman).
>>
>> Kachin,Kayar,Karen,Chin,Mon,Myanmar,Arakan,Shan.. All are Burmen as
all
>> stroked for the Independence of Our country with strong dedications.
>>
>> The word "Burmanization" make some controversial to all. From my
>> personal point of view, all ethnic groups have already been
Burmanized
>> as soon as Burma regained her independence from British because of
the
>> memorial,invaluable and heroic dedications of these nationalities.
Karen
>> is burman, Kachin is burman Myanmar is burman Mon Shan....so on.
>>
>> Somebody may say that Myanmars are of leading ethnic group who
usually
>> look down on, take advantages over, and suppress other minorities. I
>> always deny to this. Do you know who is/was the culprit?????
>>
>> IT IS DICTATORSHIP!!!!
>>
>> The article said that Military launch Burmanization...Everybody knows
>> that Military contains other ethnic nationalities ( some of them
>> couldn't speak burmese, believe it these soldiers were common in
Yangon