What happen to Asean's non-interfer

Mailbag

      What happen to Asean's
      non-interference policy?

      I was surprised and perplexed to learn that
      the Thai foreign minister would meet the
      ambassadors of India and Pakistan over
      the nuclear issue, although I applaud the
      efforts. Isn't this unusual for the Asean's
      normal practice of non-interference with
      other countries, for example, Burma and
      Cambodia? What is this new spin? Is
      Thailand planning to enter the big league? If
      so, then push human rights with your
      neighbours first. Don't use the Asean
      mantra one day and do something opposite
      the next day, or you may wind up smelling
      like the US two-faced policy.

      Gordon Sachs

      WASHINGTON DC