The BurmaNet News: June ...

Re: Gary Prior on Burma

When I condemn the Burmese Military Regime, I want to make it clear too all, I
am not condemning each and every man and women in the Burmese Army, Navy, Air
Force and other branches of the Uniformed Services. I do condemn the "System"
they have chosen to use to control the country and maintain their power. And I
also do not condone the the practice of "going along to get along". I accuse
the majority of the military for their lack of principles and beliefs.

The country and its people were forced to suffer through the years of RC,
BSPP, SLORC and now SPDC because the majority of men and women in uniform
lacked principle and courage inspite of the "many medals that adorn the
uniforms of the Generals". I always jokingly say to my friends that they may
be getting a medal for every student or disident they throw in jail. A bigger
one for a lawyer, a doctor, a dentist and the biggest and best if they can
throw a fellow general in jail ????

As for Gary Prior, what can I say? I could have told him he would fail before
he started. Yes, gary there are a lot of nice guys in the Burmese Army and
some of them are even Generals. The same way we had nice guys in Hitlers Army
too. The real good guys tried to get rid of Hitler and a few of them committed
suicide rather that endure the system. The system is bad and good guys
enduring a bad system usually fall by the wayside. To be successful in a bad
system you have to be bad. It is a requirement.

Twenty six years in the region and a few more in Burma does not make you an
Burma Expert. I laugh at guys like you who profess to be experts in my
country. I was only born and brought up there, but there is a lot about Burma
and its diverse ethnic population I know very little of. The less we hear from
you in the future, the better for the people of Burma.

Richard Aung Myint
Mountain View, CA