THE NATION: End sought to Asean's m

Headlines

      End sought to Asean's
      main policy

      THAILAND yesterday called for a review of
      the Association of South East Nations'
      ''non-interference'' principle which allows
      the group to play a constructive role in
      preventing controversies with regional
      implications.

      Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan said the
      principle did not mean that countries should
      turn a blind eye to the plight of their
      neighbours.

      ''Lending assistance in time of need, even
      on domestic affairs, should not be
      interpreted as interference in internal affairs
      ... Perhaps it is time for Asean's cherished
      non-intervention principle to be modified,''
      Surin said.

      The minister was speaking at a seminar
      held to commemorate Thammasat
      University's faculty of Political Science's
      49th anniversary.

      ''When a matter of domestic concern poses
      a threat to regional stability, a dose of peer
      pressure or friendly advice can be helpful,''
      he said.

      The minister also encouraged Asean to
      take a new stance on the issue, saying if
      there was a consensus among the group's
      members on the type of situations
      warranting constructive intervention, the
      process should become easier.

      This is the first time that Thailand has
      expressed interest in the review of Asean's
      principle, adopted to deal with Southeast
      Asia's controversies. The principle had
      been criticised as a pretext for Asean not to
      help end conflicts in other countries.

      In an interview with Asiaweek, Prime
      Minister Chuan Leekpai had said that
      Asean's non-interference philosophy was
      important. ''It does not imply that we have
      agreed with the government in each
      member country,'' he said.

      Surin said Asean should find a ''trick'' in
      achieving the right balance on constructive
      intervention.

      Southeast Asia's economic crisis shows
      that perhaps a change in our thinking, our
      attitude and perception is needed, he said.

      ''Non-interference does not mean that we
      cannot espouse the values of our own
      society although, of course, we should not
      try to impose them on others,'' Surin added.

      With regards to foreign policy used to
      counter the crisis, Surin said, his ministry
      would be an interface for understanding
      between Thailand and the outside world.

      However, one cannot proceed with foreign
      policy while social factors are ignored, he
      said. The policy should reflect both the
      domestic and existing social structure.

      ''If foreign policy is internally contradictory,
      benefits would fall short of their potential.
      For example, if our policy of promoting
      human rights and democracy hurts the
      interest of traders along the border, the
      policy will encounter domestic resistance
      and will be unsustainable,'' he told the
      seminar.

      ''We should remember that each country is
      the product of different circumstances,
      opportunities and constraints. It is a
      process that each country should work out
      for itself, in its own way, at its own pace, in
      its own time,'' said Surin. He hoped
      Southeast Asia would maintain its
      dynamism, saying that the countries in the
      region had no choice but to move in the
      direction of openness.

      ''Danger lies in the fact that while reform is,
      by and large, a domestic process, delays
      or setbacks in one country can affect the
      region's recovery, as a whole, especially if
      that country has extensive trade and
      investment ties with others in the region,''
      he added.

      The need to end the non-intervention
      principle has been discussed among
      Asean academics over the past year. It was
      Malaysia's Deputy Prime Minister Ibrahim
      Anwar who had brought up the so-called
      constructive intervention in neighbouring
      countries.

      BY MARISA CHIMPRABHA

      The Nation