Bangkok post (15/6/98) news

News headlines

-------------------------------------

1:) Refugees' move awaits Rangoon's bod

--------------------------------------

<bold>Refugees' move awaits Rangoon's bod

</bold>

<italic>Dhaka, AFP

</italic> Bangladesh were waiting for a response from Burma for the
repatriation of some 21,000 Muslim refugees, known as "Rohingyas,"
stalled since August last year, officials in Dhaka said yesterday.

	"We are expecting an initiative from the Rangoon authorities as they
already cleared the identity of 7,000 refugees," an official said.

	The list of the 7,000 was approved by Rangoon after Burmese Foreign
Minister Ohn Gyaw visited Bangladesh in April when he held talks with his
Bangladesh counterpart Abdus Samad Azad to end the deadlock on the
repatriation of refugees.

	No date, however, was fixed for resuming the repatriation of the
refugees housed in two camps in the resort town of Cox's Bazar.

	Officials of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR),
coordinating the repatriation, yesterday said: "We are hopeful the
repatriation should start soon."

Meanwhile, the Daily Star newspaper yesterday said a supervisory
committee comprising Bangladesh officials was expected to visit transit
camps tomorrow to review the situation.

	Up to 820,000 Muslims from Burma's Arakan State fled in 1991 charge
denied by the military junta. Most were repatriated after a 1991
agreement between the UNHCR and Burma.