FTUB/NCFUB (r)

Dear BurmaNet Readers,

As far as we, ALL YOUNG BURMESE LEAGUE (AYBL) members in Australia are
concerned, we sincerely believe and see that the NCGUB and NCGUB's
representative in Australia are doing many good for restoring democracy in
Burma and Burmese community development in Australia. As we (Burmese in
Australia) know, NCGUB and its representative are very successful in
lobbying the international and Australia community for restoring democracy
in Burma in many ways.

I came to know Dr Sein Win and NCGUB when it was formed in Manaplaw in
December 1990. He is quiet and a gentleman. I also met him as second time
in 1992 when he came to Australia to lobby the Australia government for
getting moral and other possible aids and support for restoring democracy
in Burma. He also met the Immigration Minister Jury Han and discussed about
the Special Refugees program. The special refugee category called SAC213
(Special Assistant Category-213 for Burmese people living in Thai-Burma
border) came out later that year was very much influenced by Dr Sein Win's
visit. ABC (Australia Burma Council) was formed in 1992 when Dr Sein Win
was here and it has been doing tremendous good job since then. We have to
admit that ABC has been doing many good quality jobs more than any single
real Burmese organization in Australia. We, burmese are very good at
pointing fingers to others, jealous at someone's success and forget who is
our number one enemy. It is very sad.

Many people including NCGUB, ABSDF, and many organizations and many
individuals have given up their most precious thing in the universe; their
lives, just for democracy, just to topple the oppressive government - our
no. 1 enemy. This is our aim, our one and only one objective. The purpose
of revolutions is " To topple the oppressive regime and attain the
democracy in Burma ".

If I do not like NCGUB or any party or groups I will punish that group with
my ballot vote in free and fair election. Our first aim is to get democracy
where everyone can exercise their democratic rights. So far, in my opinion,
most of the the letters in the net regarding the NCGUB/FTUB produce counter
productive. It does not contribute any good thing towards democracy for
Burma. Nobody can come out and prove these financial accusation and claims
are right or wrong. And also the public accessible brunet is also not a
right place to explain and counter explain where and how the fund has been
used. If someone really wants to make the things right, he/she should
contact the doner of the fund and expressed their concern, not on the net.
I haven't seen any NCGUB or FTUBA or ABC members getting rich or living
luxury life. Most of these guys are broke because they do revolution with
their own expenses. If we keep pointing our fingers at others we will get
nowhere. SPDC will look at us and laugh at us. Please think again.

We can express our opinions freely in the name democracy. However, we also
have to remember that democracy means responsibility. The democracy does
not mean that I can say anything as senselessly as I like. (If it does not
damage anyone, it may be ok). I am sure all of us understand this. We have
to know how much damage of the democracy movement will be made by our
irresponsible thoughts words and actions.  Let's start a fresh towards
democracy for Burma from the 8888, 10 th anniversary.

Kenneth OO
ALL YOUNG BURMESE LEAGUE INC.

----------
> From: burma@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: Recipients of BurmaNet-l <BurmaNet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: FTUB/NCFUB
> Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 11:49 AM
>
> Please try to post AASW mail to Burma net.
>
> Thanks
>
> burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
> maykha-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Recent discussion of FTUB-related issues has broungt the Burmenet
audience a
> special interest in the history of Burmese pro-democracy leadership
overseas.
> Today's FTUB Affairs, mostly unknown to the majority of the revolutionary
> groups, seem to have been established never around the past political
> experiences of progressive Burmese students and activists while the
dominating
> groups only with a few people, namely NCGUB and FTUB, have made their
> organizational system very different from those of their counterparts in
> student-led activist groups and organizations in a eight-year-period
since the
> begining.
>
> The system of the Big Guys in NCGUB and FTUB has thus repeatedly enabled
> occurrence of certain unjust, unpopular, unprincipled political
experiments
> within and among themselves. The result of these experiments usually
carried
> out in accordance with the demands of a few self-seeking individuals in
FTUB
> and NCGUB is an annual cash flow from naive non-Burmese funders all over
the
> world. To me, the most striking aspects of the overseas Burmese political
> community is its radical students and activists representing the majority
and
> a handful of opportunistic politicians enjoying the current political
deadlock
> in Burma. Since 1991, the distinct characteristics between these two
camps
> have not been changed and improved even in some positive ways along with
the
> changes in the larger Burmese political environment watched and observed
by
> the international community leaders.
>
> >From now on, we, therefore, would like to focus our attention on how and
why
> NCGUB has not been able to provide the majority political forces other
than
> itself with reasonable leadership from an analytical view-point so that
it
> would possibly reach some meaningful decisions as to its organizational
> development for the better. If the NCGUB did not have a desire to change
its
> organizational structure the way it has been run for the past eight
years, the
> NCGUB would keep losing supporters as it is right now and in the long run
it
> may not be able to turn to foreign funding organizations and governments
> accept increasing financial responsibilities for a few individuals who
has
> lied to and ignored the entire political forces which are supposed to be
led
> by NCGUB by all means.
>
> The following is the excerpts from Ko Htun Aung Kyaw 's Red Booklet which
> want
> to present to the Burmanet audience. I have asked the author (Ko Htun
Aung
> Kyaw) if I could post on the net the English version of some content
contained
> in his Red Booklet, so I took the liberty of translating some parts from
this
> book because my genuine interest in presenting the English translation is
> have as many people to understand the FTUB-related problems as possible.
If
> the audience knew little of the background, it would be difficult to read
the
> whole context. One man, not representing the labor forces inside Burma (
In
> fact, there is no organized labor group anywhere), has no rights to name
> himself a leader of FTUB and take adventage of naive funding
orgainzations
> abroad. Nor does he have any entitlement to rule our revolution as a king
no
> matter whoever stands behind him.
>
> aye aye soe win

> The Portrait of Maung Maung
> The first person "I" is used to directly refer to Ko Htun Aung Kyaw the
same
> way as it is in his Burmese version of the Red Booklet. (Translator)
>
> Maung Maung (now FTUB head) and I were both elected as student
> respresentatives for the Geology Major freshman class in 1970-71. And
when we
> were in the sophormore year, Maung Maung came to me and said, "Tun Aung
Kyaw,
> you don't run for elections this year, I also won't run for the position
of a
> student representative. You see certain people don't want to work hard
(for
> the student body).
>
> Upon hearing his persuation like this, I replied, "Well, if you say so, I
> promise I won't run for elections. Afterwards Ko Shein Win, the then
General
> Secretary of Geology Major Students Association, came to convince me that
> should run for Sophomore Class representation. Ko Shein Win had asked me
twice
> to run for the elections, but I rejected his offers twice. Later Ko Maung
> Maung became the sophomore class representative. So this is his (Maung"s
> Maung's) background.
>
> In 1988-89, I met Maung Maung again in Bangkok. At that time I was the
> chairman of All Burma Students Democratic Front. Maung Maung said, " I am
> recruiting student soldiers in the border town of Ranong and giving them
> secret military training on an island around Margue Islands. I woulk like
you
> to endorse me as the Chairman of ABSDF."  While Maung Maung was proposing
me
> to recognize him this way, I, feeling the urge and attachment to a
friendship,
> had endorsed his man named Ye Tun, because he convinced me that he was
> actually giving military training to his followers. Afterwards, I heard
of
> stories that Ye Tun was collecting money from the seamen in Ranong as an
ABSDF
> representative. I heard of such stories. Then I no longer heard about the
> people taking military training on a Margue island.
>
> In 1991, Maung Maung tried to borrow some money from me. Ko Aung (U Nu'
son)
> was
> then broke, and Maung and Than Lwin too were facing financial problems.
> Previously, I had agreeded that I would buy a pistol from Than Lwin for
> 10,000.00 Bahts (400.00 dollars), and so decided to give him 10,000.00
bahts
> to get the pistol later. I never got the pistol though. The money was
lost.
> Never did Ko Than Lwin receive the money from Maung Maung.
>
> Later I learned that it was almost overnight success that Maung Maung has
> become the leader of FTUB at the recommandation of NCGUB after working
for
> NCGUB as a mere clerk. Even though I knew that he was never a
representative
> of labor groups in Burma, I was glad for his promotion because of my
> recognition of our friendship.
>
> When he was visiting Washington DC, I met him again there. He told me
that he
> wanted to loan a book on Burmese labor history from Cornell University. I
felt
> that he was manipulating again, but I managed to get him the book he
wanted,
> because he promised that he would return the book soon. I let him loan
the
> book not because he was a friend, but because I thought he would somehow
work
> on something that might benefit our revolution. Since then, the book has
never
> been returned. I had to pay fines for the lost item to the Cornell
University
> library. All these happenings are actual ones, all of which are facts,
indeed.

> All these accounts are revealing who is the liar and who violates a
> friendship.
>
> (Translation ends here.)
> From Page 4 of the  Red Booklet, Explanation on Charter '97 by Tun Aung
Kyaw.