TEXT: DAW SUU'S VIDEO MESSAGE FOR W

TEXT OF INFORMAL VIDEO MESSAGE
FROM DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI
FOR WOMEN OF BURMA DAY 1998

(What is your message to the Burman and non-Burma ethnic women for Women of
Burma Day?)

My message to all the women of Burma is to maintain solidarity, because
when human rights are violated in any society, it?s the women and children
who suffer most. And the women must realize that they have a duty, not only
do they have a duty, they have the strength to bring about the necessary
changes. So, please don?t underestimate yourselves. That is what I would
like to say to the women of Burma.

And to the women of the ethnic nationalities who are suffering so much I
would like to say: Don?t be discouraged, we are with you, we are together
and we will make it together.

(Why is human rights and democracy important for the women of Burma?)

It is important because without human rights and democracy you cannot be
secure. And in an insecure society, as I said earlier, it?s the women and
children who suffer most.

Our women have a lot of potential. There are many who would claim that
Burmese women are far brighter than Burmese men (and I can?t take sides on
this of course), but be that as it may, I do believe that our women have a
great potential and I want that potential to be realized.

(What can women overseas do to support this cause?)

It seems to me that women overseas are doing a lot already to support this
cause, but the more the better.

First of all I think they have got to be aware of what is happening in
Burma- unless they know what is happening, they won?t know what to do. And
I think they must demonstrate their solidarity for our cause.

We do need help. We need the help and support of friends. Ours is a
non-violent movement- we are carrying on a non-violent movement against a
military regime which is armed to the teeth, so we need all the help we can
get! And again, I don?t want to sound prejudiced, but it seems to me that
women do a lot more for us than men on the whole, so please help us more.

(How has the past support of women overseas made a difference?)

It makes a lot of difference to me, perhaps because I am a woman, first of
all. I find that the women who are helping our cause are not just
committed, but they are very warm- for them, it?s not just a cold-hearted
ideal, it not something that they are simply doing with their heads, they
are doing it with their hearts as well, and that is why I find the help of
women so very warming.

That?s not to say that I have not come across many men who are as warm, and
who are as committed, as all these nice women - so I don?t want to sound
too partial- but as a woman, of course, I am a little partial to women I
think.

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel/Fax: 66 2 693 4515 * <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>