delayed reply to editor by Maung Ma

Dear Maung Maung Than

Thank you for your article regarding Amanda Zappia.It was a very very good
and thoughtful democratic vision for future of Burma.Thanks again for that.

The way NCGUB/FTUB understanards politics is very simple,old fashion one.
Appoit someone who is a good walker in the parliament to lobby and get some
supports. Setting up an outpost (i.e Burma Office in Sydney)under the logo
of NCGUB and manned by the "yes"  Prime Minister"office boys.There is no
new ideas,no thoughts,no questions and no concerns to the local Burmese
community's support but run just under instructions by NCGUB above or by
the lady chief of staff  who wears so many hats.That is it.That is their
vision.There is not a trace of democracy implementation in its
organisations or policy structures but with all too bureaucratic setups.

The point is that NCGUB has never thought beyond where democracy is the
supreme incredient to solve today Burma's complex problems,which Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi has repeatedly stated, such as ethnics
self-determination,autonomy,drugs productions and way- behind state of
Burmese economy and so on.These are never been solved by well - set - up
bureaucracy alone but with the grassroot democracy. Just look at Indonesia
problems where grassroot democracy is lacking to criticise the government's
activities therefore it allows top brass of the government body corrupts at
its free will and as a result the country's economy bursted.The most sad
thing about it is that all Indonesians have share the burdens of its
undemocratic,corrupt government actions at the end of the day.

Hope our NCGUB is smart enough to learn from the Indonesian lesson and
reform itself for the betterment of future Burma while there is not so too
late.

In solidarity

Panyoma
Sydney
19/6/98

----------
> From: maungt@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: delayed reply to editor
> Date: Tuesday, 16 June 1998 14:59
>
> Dear Editor,
> This message was supposed to send during  the black out time.
>
> Thanks for your explanation of your rules on the Burmanet. It seems clear
> me that  recent postings of Ma Aye Aye Soe Win and other friends did
nothing
> wrong and not in contradiction with your major policy.
>  But I think you still need to explain a bit more of which postings made
you
> think of offensive and counter-productive. Your details will be useful
for
> us in the future postings.
> The intention of my message was to make clear that Burmanet itself is not
> undemocratic or  bias. It is absolutely fantastic to learn you have no
> censorship on the incoming  messages . Burmanet sounds different to other
> mailing list I suppose,  Cheers!
> I want to insist that the role of  Burmanet is unique in   the struggle
for
> democracy in our motherland.
>
> Burmanet is responsive , our questions are answered on line. Burmanet
should
> get credit for it. Because even our Burmese  political parties are
ignorant
> to the questions  They are mute and deaf besides they are sometimes blind
> when they face critics.
>  They talk , hear and see only when they meet foreign NGOs , MPs , etc,
etc.
> They can even smile when they meet people like George Soros.
>
>  How can we trust them they are representing the oppressed people of
Burma?
> Some people argue that NCG is made up of representatives of the people
that?
> s why we need to respect them . (  Should not question?)
>
> Even if they are elected they must be open to criticism and discussion.
Have
> they forgotten they should be servants of the people? We should not be
> servants to them. There should be no master but all working together as
> equals in the democratic movement.
> I want to point out that;
>
> NCGUB ( Australia)  is not made up of peoples representatives elected in
> 1990 elections . Despite the fact that, there are two MP living in Sydney
at
> the moment.
>  U Tin Htut ( Eim Me , Delta region MP and U Denial Aung ( Lahu MP) .
They
> both are well respected by the Burmese community here, but not by the
NCGUB
> itself. Because they do not even have a respectable position in NCG (
Aust)
> The chief representative of NCGUB is called Ms Amanda Zappia who is also
> chief rep. Of FTUB in Australia. She is also big boss for the Australia
> Burma Council , Free Burma Coalition ( Australia)  , Burma office ,   the
> list goes on and on.
> (Personally, I am grateful to her because she sponsored me to resettle in
> Australia but this should not make me silent)
>
> I should say I reject racism and respect Australians who are working for
> free Burma but I believe we must separate people and organizational
style.
> Why are there so many positions centralized around Amanda? Why are there
> never meetings where we are all invited of the FBC like everywhere else
in
> the world. ( Ko Zarni might know the answer)  . I fear the centralization
> and exclusion reflects a real problem in our movement
>
>  In Australia the grassroots elect their leadership. The east Timor
> community has Hose Ramos Horta, the Bouganville community has Moses
Havini.