Burma Women's Day Celebration in So

BURMA WOMEN'S DAY/ DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI BIRTHDAY
CELEBRATION IN SOUTH AFRICA

Free Burma Campaign { South Africa } celebrated Burma Women`s Day and Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi`s birthday on 19 June 1998, 1:00 pm at University of
Durban-Westville, Durban. Kiru Naidoo, Director of Public Relation
Department, Professor Z.Sonkosi, Department of Political Science, Dr. Thein
Win, Burma dissident Free Burma activist, University Students and
interested persons were attended to the celebration. The audience were
watched the video tapes transcription of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi address to
international community for Women of Burma Day and addressed to UN
Commission on Human Rights on March 1998. Kiru Naidoo and Dr. Thein Win
addressed to the audience on present situation of Burma under military
regime, who are ignored the  free and fair the 1990 election result.
National League for Democracy lead by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi won landslide
victory (82% of the votes). The audience discussed with Dr. Thein Win on
Burma issue. The audience were more interested on human rights violation,
education system of Burma. Dr. Zarni, Founder of Free Burma Coalition sent
an official message of support from FBC to South Africans "We salute the
freedom-loving people of South Africa and we thank you all for joining with
our friends and supporters across the world in honouring Burma`s greatest
resource, its women." Kiru Naidoo distributed to the SA media for Burma
Women`s Day and mentioned "We, in the Free Burma Campaign urge the South
African Government to condemn human rights abuses in Burma, distance itself
from the military dictatorship by expelling its envoy from Pretoria and
imposing sanctions on that polecat regime." After celebration, audience
were observed poster and books show on Burma and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
"Burma: Voices of Women in the struggle" published by ALTSEAN-BURMA were
also distributed to libraries and to interested persons. In this book,
foreword by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.