Presenting for unpleasant situation

Dear all,
We, Central Leading Committee members elected by 9th conference of the
Burmese Students Association ( BSA ), would like to put fordard about tragic
events regarding the political activities of the Burmese Student exiles
Person of Concern from UNHCR (Thai ), and asking help for your cooperating
to solve this matters.

There were some cases which had taken place in our camp from October 5,1997,
when our committee started to take organization duties, to Novermber 6,1997:
first, camp commander and security guards punched a student, named Wai Moe.
Second, camp authorities forced three students, Wai Moe, Maung Maung Maw and
Kying Aung to do signature of conceding punishment for above mentioned case
by using of indimidation.  Third, camp authorities made an unsuccessful
attempting to sue to chairman of the BSA with police station by using a
student named Nyi Nyi Lwin as a plaintiff.  We had successful solved above
mentioned case with camp authorities, UNHCR representatives group led by Mr.
Pierre von Gunten, Deputy Regional Representative for Thailand and Cambodia
and MOI representatives included Deputy Governor of Ratchburi province in
peaceful compromising way.

Eventhough, we managed to overcome to the unpleasant issues, our society has
continuely sufferred from ignoring of the camp authorities for cooperation
with us for our society duties.  There are some facts of our complaint
regarding camp authorities' failure to join hand with us providing law
protection for camp residents' peaceful living by legitimate regional law.

Quotations
" Judgement without harmony with law "
* Camp authorities has indirectly dominated over the suable rights by
absence to support to plaintiff to lodge a complain against to    offence
with police station and by cinstraining to plaintiff to close down the cases.

" Inadequate assistance "
* Camp residents have not enough food supply but they have low quality rice
and curry which can not provide them to get calorie    needed.
* The patients in serious diseases and malnutrition can not have an
appropriate treatment in time because of limitted financial    assistance
from MOI and according to agreement between UNHCR ( Thai ) and Thai government.
* The language school has only two English teachers but occasionaly has one
teacher because they are often transferred by the    COERR which responsible
NGO of the camp.
* The vocational trainning does not have enough supporting equipments
especially computer course.
* UNHCR ( Thai )'s monthly pocket allowance for camp residents is not enough
for buying necessary things because Thai    economic crasis.

" Several arresting and charged "
* Students arrested by Thai police while travelling and charged at Thai court.
* Dispite having travelling permission from camp authorities, students are
often arrested by Thai police.
* New applicants for camp residents, the comers have to go to the court for
giving fine of immigration act in which children under    eighteen has no
right to acquit from immigration act by giving fine.  They serve punishment
time at the rehabilitation centre.
* Some students have sufferred to student status revocation and have served
to indefinite time punishment at the Special Detention    Centre ( SDC ).
Those who have not got any assistance from UNHCR except indequate medical
care and financial assistance.

" Others "
* It is unhappy that our activities in religion, social ans education are
curbed.
* Two of NGOs, IRC and COERR include UNHCR ( Burmese Students Centre ), have
used camp residents as like cheap    laboue.
* MOI does not allowed to entry into the camp for the split families.
* UNHCR officers changed our camp name from Burmese Students Centre to
Burmese Centre.

In connection with above mentioned, our activities, sacrificing our lives
for gaining to democracy and human rights in Burma, are decreasing day by
day.  So, this condition has to change the right of the people protection
for demoncracy and humanitarian activities.  Therefore, we humbly request
you to give more attention in our activities freedom.

Central Leading Committee
Burmese Students Association.

Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma (TACDB)
328 Phayathai Road
Rajthevee
Bangkok 10400
THAILAND