Dear OKKAR66129 (r)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Can you be little more specific about the articles? For example: the
estimate
> date, the paper on which the article appeared and etc... It will help me
> find them.

Thanks for your offer:

There are several:  First note this AFP story that ran on June 17,
suggesting the NLM article ran June 16.  Can you provide us with the text
of that article?

<bold>'No room' for talks

</bold>

Opposition calls for dialogue with Burma's junta are "political black
magic" and the work of the "superpower colonialist bloc,' the Rangoon
junta's official media said yesterday. In a virulent dismissal of
National League for Democracy proposals for talks and for parliament to
be allowed to convene for the first time since its members were elected
in 1990, the New Light of Myanmar daily added there was "no room for
cooperation".

----------------- AFP news --------------------------

Another is also referred to in a Reuters June 17 report, see below

   BANGKOK, June 17 (Reuters) - Myanmar's
            military junta on Wednesday slammed plans
            by the opposition National League for
            Democracy (NLD) to mark the June 19
            birthday of its party leader Aung San Suu
            Kyi as National Women's Day.

            State controlled media said such plans to
            commemorate her 53rd birthday were an
            insult to patriots and to her late father Aung
            San, who helped lead Myanmar to
            independence.

Thirdly, this Reuters report on June 29, which suggests the commentaries
ran in Burma on June 28.  Can you send out those commentaries?

YANGON, June 29 (Reuters) - Myanmar's military junta threatened on Monday
to take legal action against opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her
political party, saying she was on a collision course with the government.
The warnings were carried in commentaries run by three state-owned
newspapers which said: ``The Myanmar government and its people can no
longer tolerate the acts of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who ignores the interest
of the nation and people.''
Similar warnings appeared in the media in the days prior to Suu Kyi's
house
arrest in 1989 for nearly six years by the then ruling military
government.
The Nobel Peace prize winner was released from detention in mid-1995.
The country's media are considered mouthpieces of the ruling State Peace
and Development Council (SPDC).

Finally, there is the reference to Vietnam's Diem, who was murdered in a
bloody coup.  The NLM piece referred to probably ran June 28 or 29.

"In an article printed in the state-controlled New Light of Myanmar
newspaper, the regime warned that Aung San Suu Kyi could become another
Ngo Dinh Diem, a former President of South Vietnam was assassinated at
the direction of generals in the South Vietnamese army during a coup in
1963."

Your assistance in providing these important articles from the New Light
of Myanmar would be appreciated.

LD