Information Sheet No.A. 0500 (I)

                                       Information Sheet

                     No.A. 0500 (I)                  12 July 1998

(1)		Secretary(1) Receives National Race Leader

		Chairman of the Work Committee for Development of Border Areas and National
Races Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt
received national race leader of Special Region 2 in Kachin State U Zaw Maing
and members at the Tatmadaw Guest House in Yangon on 11 July. Matters on
commerce, mining, timber extraction, power generation and regional development
were discussed at the meeting.

(2)		Myanmar Delegation Leaves for Japan

		Myanmar delegation led by Director-General of General Administration
Department left Yangon by air on 11 July for Japan to attend the Top Managers'
Seminar to be held from 12 to 20 July. The seminar was sponsored by Japanese
Ministry of Home  Affairs and Japan International Cooperation Agency with the
aim of promotion of administration in the region for socio-eco-nomic
development in Asia region. Representatives of Vietnam and the Philippines
will participate in the seminar.

(3)		This office is presenting a news letter dated 10 July 1998, produced by
Myanmar Embassy in Canberra entitled "Tourism in Myanmar" for your reading
pleasure

                                        TOURISM IN MYANMAR

		Tourism industry in Myanmar is developing in the past years despite certain
groups of self-seekers' attempts to hinder the industry's progress.

		The maximum number of tourists visiting the nation was recorded at 42,000
and the highest income at $ 20 million before 1988. However, the industry
earned
$ 70 million with arrivals of over 150,000 visitors in 1995-96 financial year.
The number of visitors increased to 307,000 in 1996-97 financial year.

		Increasing arrivals of tourists can be attributed to a pleasant home which
attracts visitors. Myanmar's cordiality and hospitality are the qualities
attractive to tourists. Myanmar has places of cultural heritage, ancient
architectural designs, pagodas and religious building in various regions.

		Bagan is a lost city on the banks of river Ayeyawady. Hundreds of temples
and pagodas. Some totally in ruins, others either beautifully or indifferently
restored dot the vast plain. It is possible to climb to the top of some of
Pagodas and  look across the city and imagine you have travelled back through
centuries. In the evening watching the sunset over the town and river from a
temple terrace is magical.The Shwe Dagon Pagoda in Yangon is world famous.
Seen from afar, the Pagoda stands glorious like gold lump.

		The following is a letter from Mr. David Everatt of Auckland, New Zealand
who has recently visited Yangon with his farmily. He has sent this letter to
the Embassy to tell what he actually saw and experienced during his trip to
Myanmar.

		The Embassy reproduces Mr. Everatt's letter with his kind permission.

"Dear Sir"

		Our family group ( wife,son and daughter-in-law_ have just returned from an
overseas trip which included nearly a week in Yangon. During this time we made
acquaintance with family members my wife (who was born in,then,Burma) had not
met with since 1942, and were shown around with great enthusiasm. We had
marvellous time, made many new friends, and left with a high degree of
reluctance. The purpose of my having the temerity to write to your is to
comment on the adverse publicity prevalent, and to give you our personal
experiences in comparison. When we let it be known, before our departure, that
we intended visiting Myanmar, we met with astonishment, dubious quiet recent
vintage - emphasised the likely difficulties, trap and outright dangers to be
encountered. Overwhelming currency difficulties would be met with; strip
searches by Customs would take place; barter goods such as spirits and
cigarettes were absolutely necessary; water could never be drunk with safety.
This is the accepted picture of the tourist scene in Myanmar. And , from our
personal experiences, it is TOTALLY WRONG.

		Our new-found relations took us on extended tours of Yangon, pointing out
with justifiable pride the great strides made of recent times in the
reconstruction work in the city. They were genuinely in favour of the policies
of the ruling regime, and keen to praise its forward looking efforts. So far
from the dire warnings of the guide books which discouraged any mention of
politics !  We never heard an adverse word.

		We were previously told that both the Army and the Police exerted a
draconian discipline by the rule of the rifle.  Well, we never saw either a
steel helmet  or a rifle. We saw smart, alert, and well drilled Army personnel
on leave, and efficient and tolerant police, but nothing of any "control" in
the general way.

		Warnings were given of the dictatorial methods of Immigration and Customs.
We found nothing but courtesy, efficiency and - yes - charm, both in arrival
and departure. The declaration of jewellery purchased,  on our departure
became a happy mutual admiration discussion between my wife and the lady
Inspector. No bag was opened, no questions were asked. In all the other
similar discussions - Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia and also New
Zealand, your people stood out in courtesy and efficiency.

		We had been told that the exchange of travellers cheques into FECs would
inevitably incur loss. It never did, FECs were freely accepted and often
change given in US currency if necessary which emphasised the value of the
FEC. We were never in a position to test the non-re-export of unused FECs, as
we were fortunately in a position to repay some of the hospitality of our new
relations, but the regulation is a fair one, and had our support anyway.

		Probably there is a need for one or two more Western style restaurants-it
took a day or two to locate some of them and , undoubtedly, as time goes on,
the central city area will develop, but these are minor things and have little
to do with the purpose of this letter.

		We are all irritated at the general misconception of life in Myanmar from
the tourist point of view. It is a highly desirable tourist destination, and
all the officialdom we encountered, at all levels, was as courteous and
helpful as could be, and tourists such as ourselves are obviously welcomed and
cared for.

		If there is anything we can do to help rebuild the image of Myanmar in the
minds of the general public, we would be glad to do so. You are most welcome
to use any part of this letter to this end.

		Finally, might I extend our thanks to the charming lady whom I only know as
"Jane", who expedited our visas, when there seemed as though there could be a
"hiccup"?

Your sincerely,

Sd/-
David Everattss