Bangkok Post - Sukhumbhand says com

Bangkok Post July 12,1998
Sukhumbhand says comments justified 'We are a friend, so there is no sweet
talk'

Achara Ashayagachat

Thailand is entitled to comment on the situation in Burma because it has
made "political investment" in the country and stands to suffer overspills,
Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra said yesterday.

"We have spoken for Burma, saying that isolation is not the right path,"
M.R. Sukhumbhand said, referring to Thailand's contention at various
international forums since Burma's admission into the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations last year.

Thailand's "political investment" had been "substantial" because of
widespread condemnation of Burma's human rights record, he added.

Asean - which groups Brunei, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, the
Philippines, Singapore, and Vietnam - admitted Burma last July despite
strong opposition from western countries, notably the United States and
member states of the European Union.

M.R. Sukhumbhand's remarks followed a fierce reaction from Rangoon to
Thailand's earlier expression of concern in the growing tension in Burma
and call for "all sides" to exercise restraint.

The "constructive engagement" of Burma by Thailand and other Asean member
states had been interpreted as tantamount to turning a blind eye to the
situation in the country, M.R. Sukhumbhand said.

Asean had now developed to the stage where member states should be able to
express their opinions on domestic issues that threatened to affect the
region, he added.

Thailand continues to adhere to the principle of non-interference upheld by
Asean and the United Nations, he said. But as a neighbouring state
threatened with overspill from any untoward incident in Burma, Thailand is
entitled to speak, he added.

Thailand also believes there should be room for some "flexibility" in this
case as such an approach had already been applied to transnational problems
such as the haze, drug trafficking and child prostitution, he said.

"We believe we have a right to apply flexible engagement with Burma because
we are a true friend. True friends speak frankly to each other, we don't
sweet talk."

Expressions of concern "should be regarded [by Burma] as expressions of
goodwill by the international community, by Asean, and by Thailand. It
can't be helped if Burma considers us to be interfering in its internal
affairs," said the deputy foreign minister.

"We want Burma to be a good member of Asean, and not to let Burma's
membership become an obstacle to Asean cooperation with western countries,"
he said.

Thailand, as a co-ordinating country for cooperation between Asean and the
EU, has been trying to remove the deadlock on Burma's participation in the
region-to-region cooperation scheme, he noted.

"We are not telling Burma to become democratic like us but we are entitled
to tell them what our democracy is like," he said.

Burma should know that being a member state of Asean requires managing
internal problems so that they don't overspill into neighbouring states, he
added.