Myanmar News Release.

--------------FBC3AF4DE91184A2E60A66BC

              EMBASSY OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR
                                 OTTAWA
                    MYANMAR  NEWS  RELEASE
             VOL. 10                                JULY 10,
               1998                                 No.13

     The Government of the Union of Myanmar has always had a deep
concern for the personal security of all politicians including Ms. Suu
Kyi as there are known elements who are trying to create political
unrest by putting her to some form of bodily harm.

First of all . please be reminded that SPDC is not a legitimate
government voted by the Burmese People.
I believe SPDC knew who is the element that tries to put" Suu " into
some form of bodily harm.
Please recall your memory , who has thrown stones to her car? , who has
pushed her down onto the ground ?, just out side her home compound.

The recent request to make her return to Yangon was meant to forestall
undesirable events
similar to ones currently taking place in a major African nation
following the death of a prominent politician.

" She ( Aung San Suu Kyi ) would become another Ngo Dinh Diem " the
former president of South Vietnam who was murdered in  a coup "
This is the statement released by SPDC to threaten her and we remember
very well that similar threats were made in 1989 , shortly before she
was put into 6 years of house arrest.

    A paragraph from the Press Release of the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs in Yangon on July 8, 1998 is quoted as follows: "The authorities

of the Union of Myanmar have been exercising utmost restraint in dealing

with the aggressive and confrontational attitude of certain elements
with the hope of inviting outside interference in the internal political

development.   The authorities will continue in exercising careful and
measured steps to safeguard and protect the stability as well as
constructive building of a system which the Government has committed to
build with discipline."

This is a flowery and diplomatic way of revealing that SPDC is a
dictator and they will rule the country with an iron fist.
We feel that SPDC should stop create more troubles within the country as
they have done more than enough.Who was the one who created the riots
between the Burmese and ethnic Chinese communities in 1967 , to divert
people's attention from severe shortage of rice and economic hardships.
The people inside Burma are struggling very hard to meet their needs as
inflation is rocketing. Only the SPDC members and their opportunists
collaborators are enjoying special previlages and accumulating enormous
wealth. People are well aware of the situation and thier feelings of
discontent and anger are mounting.
What is needed is a peaceful dialogue and settlement to convene a
parliament which we deserve.

    There have also been some reports in the media of impending
political unrest in Myanmar in connection with re-opening of all schools

and universities in the country.  Also there have been some individuals
writing in the correspondence columns of a Canadian newspaper making
allegations of atrocities committed against Shan nationalities within
the Union.
     Both reports are entirely without basis and may even be called
fictitious.   The latter allegations originated from the
drug-trafficking breakaway groups of the former Mong-Tai army (which has

surrendered) operating in the guise of a quasi-democratic secessionist
movement but who have themselves massacred Shan villagers refusing to
cooperate with them.  This has required the government security forces
to take appropriate action to protect Shan villagers from the menace of
these armed drug-trafficking groups in the remote border areas.

According to my knowledge and own experience , only BSPP , SLORC and
SPDC give fictitious report. When Phone Maw's body was sent to Rangoon
general Hospital for post mortem , who was the one who ordered us to
give the false report.
We found the bullet in his chest cavity and yet who was the one who
asked us not to report about this ?
When the hospital was being shot upon 10-8-88 , the evening news came
out was fabricated from what has actually happened. It is my true
experience.

Foreigners, including Canadians, who recently visited the Union of
Myanmar found the atmosphere in Yangon and other major cities peaceful
and normal ? a far cry from Western media reports.

Of course , every body knows that it is just the surface. We had
patients , who has been forced to be porters , forced to carry supplies
to combat areas , who has been tortured and dumped after they fell ill
from malaria and malnutrition.
These tourists may not know how the civilian patients are suffering from
shortage of basic medical supplies in RGH while the military hospitals
are well equipped with modern medical facilities.

     Any suggestion to the contrary must be considered presumptuous and
unnecessary, since 16 out of 17 armed insurgent groups have returned to
the legal fold in recent years lowering all forms of tensions to
unprecedented levels.  Attempts to artificially create unrest and
instability by local politicians to suit their own ends are not likely
to have any popular support within the country.

Please let me refer to the stament written by my colleague Ivan this
morning.
" If you are jealous , you must join and become a Burmese General. It is
not hard. The only qualification is to be uneducated and know how to
pull the trigger.
Dear Saya Dr Kyaw Win .. you are my teacher and I respect you.. you are
a very brilliant Oncologist.. You are not uneducated and also rich
enough to stand on your own.
Please join us and help , save our motherland.

With best regards,
Alice

                   ***********************************

--------------FBC3AF4DE91184A2E60A66BC

<HTML>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
EMBASSY OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
OTTAWA
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
MYANMAR&nbsp; NEWS&nbsp; RELEASE
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
VOL. 10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
JULY 10,
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1998&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
No.13<I></I>

<P><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Government of the Union of Myanmar has
always had a deep</I>
<BR><I>concern for the personal security of all politicians including Ms.
Suu</I>
<BR><I>Kyi as there are known elements who are trying to create political</I>
<BR><I>unrest by putting her to some form of bodily harm.</I><I></I>

<P>First of all . please be reminded that SPDC is not a legitimate government
voted by the Burmese People.
<BR>I believe SPDC knew who is the element that tries to put" Suu " into
some form of bodily harm.
<BR>Please recall your memory , who has thrown stones to her car? , who
has pushed her down onto the ground ?, just out side her home compound.<I></I>

<P><I>The recent request to make her return to Yangon was meant to forestall
undesirable events</I>
<BR><I>similar to ones currently taking place in a major African nation</I>
<BR><I>following the death of a prominent politician.</I><I></I>

<P>" She ( Aung San Suu Kyi ) would become another Ngo Dinh Diem " the
former president of South Vietnam who was murdered in&nbsp; a coup "
<BR>This is the statement released by SPDC to threaten her and we remember
very well that similar threats were made in 1989 , shortly before she was
put into 6 years of house arrest.

<P><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A paragraph from the Press Release of the Ministry
of Foreign</I>
<BR><I>Affairs in Yangon on July 8, 1998 is quoted as follows: "The authorities</I>
<BR><I>of the Union of Myanmar have been exercising utmost restraint in
dealing</I>
<BR><I>with the aggressive and confrontational attitude of certain elements</I>
<BR><I>with the hope of inviting outside interference in the internal political</I>
<BR><I>development.&nbsp;&nbsp; The authorities will continue in exercising
careful and</I>
<BR><I>measured steps to safeguard and protect the stability as well as</I>
<BR><I>constructive building of a system which the Government has committed
to</I>
<BR><I>build with discipline."</I><I></I>

<P>This is a flowery and diplomatic way of revealing that SPDC is a dictator
and they will rule the country with an iron fist.
<BR>We feel that SPDC should stop create more troubles within the country
as they have done more than enough.Who was the one who created the riots
between the Burmese and ethnic Chinese communities in 1967 , to divert
people's attention from severe shortage of rice and economic hardships.
<BR>The people inside Burma are struggling very hard to meet their needs
as inflation is rocketing. Only the SPDC members and their opportunists
collaborators are enjoying special previlages and accumulating enormous
wealth. People are well aware of the situation and thier feelings of discontent
and anger are mounting.
<BR>What is needed is a peaceful dialogue and settlement to convene a parliament
which we deserve.

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <I>There have also been some reports in the media
of impending</I>
<BR><I>political unrest in Myanmar in connection with re-opening of all
schools</I>
<BR><I>and universities in the country.&nbsp; Also there have been some
individuals</I>
<BR><I>writing in the correspondence columns of a Canadian newspaper making</I>
<BR><I>allegations of atrocities committed against Shan nationalities within</I>
<BR><I>the Union.</I>
<BR><I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Both reports are entirely without basis
and may even be called</I>
<BR><I>fictitious.&nbsp;&nbsp; The latter allegations originated from the</I>
<BR><I>drug-trafficking breakaway groups of the former Mong-Tai army (which
has</I>
<BR><I>surrendered) operating in the guise of a quasi-democratic secessionist</I>
<BR><I>movement but who have themselves massacred Shan villagers refusing
to</I>
<BR><I>cooperate with them.&nbsp; This has required the government security
forces</I>
<BR><I>to take appropriate action to protect Shan villagers from the menace
of</I>
<BR><I>these armed drug-trafficking groups in the remote border areas.</I><I></I>

<P>According to my knowledge and own experience , only BSPP , SLORC and
SPDC give fictitious report. When Phone Maw's body was sent to Rangoon
general Hospital for post mortem , who was the one who ordered us to give
the false report.
<BR>We found the bullet in his chest cavity and yet who was the one who
asked us not to report about this ?
<BR>When the hospital was being shot upon 10-8-88 , the evening news came
out was fabricated from what has actually happened. It is my true experience.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR><I>Foreigners, including Canadians, who recently visited the Union
of</I>
<BR><I>Myanmar found the atmosphere in Yangon and other major cities peaceful</I>
<BR><I>and normal ? a far cry from Western media reports.</I><I></I>

<P>Of course , every body knows that it is just the surface. We had patients
, who has been forced to be porters , forced to carry supplies to combat
areas , who has been tortured and dumped after they fell ill from malaria
and malnutrition.
<BR>These tourists may not know how the civilian patients are suffering
from shortage of basic medical supplies in RGH while the military hospitals
are well equipped with modern medical facilities.

<P>&nbsp;<I>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any suggestion to the contrary must be considered
presumptuous and</I>
<BR><I>unnecessary, since 16 out of 17 armed insurgent groups have returned
to</I>
<BR><I>the legal fold in recent years lowering all forms of tensions to</I>
<BR><I>unprecedented levels.&nbsp; Attempts to artificially create unrest
and</I>
<BR><I>instability by local politicians to suit their own ends are not
likely</I>
<BR><I>to have any popular support within the country.</I>

<P>Please let me refer to the stament written by my colleague Ivan this
morning.
<BR>" If you are jealous , you must join and become a Burmese General.
It is not hard. The only qualification is to be uneducated and know how
to pull the trigger.
<BR>Dear Saya Dr Kyaw Win .. you are my teacher and I respect you.. you
are a very brilliant Oncologist.. You are not uneducated and also rich
enough to stand on your own.
<BR>Please join us and help , save our motherland.

<P>With best regards,
<BR>Alice
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------FBC3AF4DE91184A2E60A66BC--