The Nation : Thai PM calls for open

Thai PM calls for openness in ASEAN
posted at 13:45 hrs (Bangkok time)

BANGKOK, July 13 -- Thai Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai Monday called for
more openness and better communication within the Association of Southeast
Asian Nations (ASEAN) in light of the economic crisis gripping the region.

''A freer flow of information is also crucial if we, as a community of
southeast Asian nations, are to achieve better understanding among our
peoples,'' he told a meeting of ASEAN information ministers and officials
here.

''We must therefore also promote closer links among our media.

''We want to see an ASEAN community where people from the grassroots to
technocrats and academics know more about other ASEAN countries.''

Chuan said more information should also flow from ASEAN to the rest of the
world, adding this was particularly important because of the economic
crisis which began with last July's float of the Thai baht currency and has
since spread across the region.

''Certainly, given the economic and financial difficulties we presently
face, I believe we must ensure that information about our countries (is)
provided to the international community in an accurate, timely and
transparent manner,'' he said.

''This is essential if investor confidence is to be restored.''

The Thai premier also called for ASEAN to develop a common identity, saying
that was the vision of ASEAN's founding members when it was established 31
years ago.

''We all have our national identities but I believe we should also try to
promote a common regional identity as well,'' he said.

''This sense of common identity will help foster a closer sense of
community, as well as increased ASEAN awareness.

''This sense of belonging is necessary if ASEAN is to move forward into the
future as a single community, thus fulfilling the objectives of our
founding fathers.''

Thailand is spearheading a campaign for ASEAN to drop its policy of
non-interference in favour of one of ''flexible engagement,'' under which
members could comment on each others' domestic affairs if they had regional
implications.

The four-day meeting of ASEAN information ministers and officials was to
close Monday after talks focussing on applications for the Internet, as
well as cooperation between the state news agencies of the nine
member-states.

ASEAN groups Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines,
Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. (AFP)