SCMP : Push to face challenges of n

South China Morning Post
Tuesday  July 14  1998

Push to face challenges of new age

FRANK LONGID in Manila and Agence France-Presse
Thailand and the Philippines yesterday stepped up their campaign to
transform the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) to counter the
challenges of a new age, while Singapore stressed the need for it to be a
strong, united force.

The regional grouping had to abandon its non-interventionist policy in
favour of "flexible engagement" by members in others' domestic affairs
where they had regional implications, Manila and Bangkok said.

Members must be more honest and prepared to criticise, said Philippine
Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon, who will host a 10-day gathering of his
eight colleagues which begins at the weekend.

"Times have changed," Mr Siazon said. "And, after 31 years, we can be
adults and should be able to discuss our problems frankly.

"In future, it may be similar to the European Union system, where you
discuss each other's problems and even confront each other."

ASEAN, which was set up in 1967 to combat the spread of communism in the
region, has consistently skirted controversial issues. This, and the policy
of arriving at decisions by consensus, has been a source of frustration for
Western governments, which want the organisation to censure members who
spurn international laws, particularly those governing human rights.

ASEAN largely overlooked the dismal human rights record of Burma when it
was admitted last year.

Mr Siazon said one way to avoid an economic depression would be to
strengthen ASEAN. Members were already more honest in the finance sector.
"Maybe we could move a little bit further," he said.

Lauro Baja, foreign undersecretary for policy, said other members' internal
affairs were now "our business because the developments inside their
territories affects us".

He said Burma's policies had "affected our dialogue with the EU and some
projects with the EU are on hold".

In Sydney, Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan said ASEAN would be stifled
without flexible engagement - on issues such as drug trafficking and
currency devaluation - greater integration and co-ordination of economic
policies.

"If we work together and don't submit ourselves to a herd instinct of
withdrawing, of trying to save ourselves, but look long-term, be optimistic
and support each other we will be able to avoid a deep recession," he said.

"Otherwise, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy."

Singaporean Information Minister George Yeo told ASEAN colleagues the bloc
must present a united front to remain relevant.

He said the economic crisis showed its members could not function in
isolation.

"If we work together we will have a collective voice in the world," Mr Yeo
said.

"As individual countries, we are likely to be drowned out by louder
speakers and become their playthings."

ASEAN groups Brunei, Burma, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines,
Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.