Letter to Editor,Mainichi Daily New

LETTER TO EDITOR
 Thursday,16 July , 1998

Why is UN silent on tensions in Burma

I have an idea that  Mr. Kofi. Annan should  be the next Nobel Peace
Laureate for this time as he successfully solved the hard situation
between Iraq and alliance forces led by United State of America recently
and stopped the second gulf war.The secretary general expressed concern
at recent violence in East Timor and called on the Indonesian
authorities as well as community leaders to help ease tensions.
Meanwhile Mr. Kofi Annan announced that ? I am leaving Nigeria with the
stage set for the release of all political detainees ,including Moshood
Abiola , the nation?s leading opposition figure .I am really impressed
of all these creditable attempts Mr. Kofi Annan had .

But I can not understand one thing that the general secretary Mr. Kofi
Annan is too silent to express concern over the escalating political
tensions in Burma .Unrest and violence could be expected in Burma  on
Martyr?s Day on July 19 and on August 8 , the 10th anniversary of 1988 (
8.8.88 Democracy Movement ) in which a lot of peaceful protesters
including people from all walks of life such as  students ,civil
servants , Buddhist Monks , intellectuals ,etc...were gunned down in the
streets by the military soldiers.

The National League for Democracy ( NLD ) led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi ,
Burmese pro-democracy leader and Nobel Peace Laureate , sent a letter on
June 23 to Burma?s military regime ,the State Peace and Development
Council (SPDC),demanding that the SPDC convene the parliament within
sixty days with elected representatives of the aborted May 1990 general
elections .

Burma?s military regime is now preparing to detain Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
in a special house within a women?s prison in Yangon ,in connection with
the NLD?s demand to convene parliament .More than 40 NLD MPs had been
detained around Burma in the past week .NLD township organisers and MPs
had been ordered to stay in their home districts and confirmed they had
been instructed to report to intelligence or police agents at 6 am and 6
pm everyday .

Burma is edging towards total disaster .There is a likelihood of it to
explode soon , into pieces.The situations of the country , among the
people and in the military establishment are in utter chaos.There is an
impending danger of the country sliding into a serious shortage of food
and general calamity , unparalleled in the history.

On behalf of the Burmese people , I would like to urge Mr.Kofi Annan to
condemn the Burma?s ruling junta for threatening to kill Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi and carrying out mass arrests of MPs and we ,NLD (LA)JAPAN
BRANCH humbly request  the international community to act quickly to see
to safety of   Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and members of parliament .

KYAW LUN TIN
TOKYO,