Daw Suu Continued A Fourth Day In H (r)

Re:Daw Suu continued a fourth day in her car

The junta's claim of Daw Aung san Suu and Kyi and her two drivers in the
car had been stopped because she did not have her security team with her
on the trip were false.  SPDC knew very well that she was on her way to
meet the NLD supporters in Bassein. It was just an excuse used by the
SPDC to curb her peaceful political activities.

How can they let her stay in the car under the heat of the sun knowing
that she only had dry rations such as biscuits to eat? What
are the SPDC's security men and a waiting ambulance doing down there
nearby Daw Aung Suu Kyi's car?

Now, the true intention of the SPDC to cause bodily harm to Daw Aung Suu
Kyi has become so obvious as she now traveled without the accompaniment
of other NLD officials. Therefore, we like to warn that the SPDC would
be held responsible if something went wrong with her health because of
her car sit-in.

Minn Kyaw Minn

>From notes@xxxxxxx Mon Jul 27 04:55:48 1998
>Date: 27 Jul 1998 04:02:51
>From: kyawkyaw@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Daw Suu Continued A Fourth Day In Her Car
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
EAA14415

>Myanmar junta slams Suu Kyi car protest=20
>05:13 a.m. Jul 27, 1998 Eastern=20
>
>YANGON, July 27 (Reuters) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
>continued a fourth day in her car at a southwestern village on Monday
>protest against moves to stop her from meeting party members, a source
cl=
>ose
>to her party said.=20
>
>The National League for Democracy (NLD) party leader has refused to
budge
>from the spot where she was stopped early on Friday in Anyarsu about 64
k=
>(20 miles) from Yangon and rejected a request by the ruling military
junt=
>that she go back to her home in Yangon.=20
>
>``She is still there,'' a source close to the NLD told Reuters.=20
>
>An official of the ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC)
said=
> on
>Sunday that Suu Kyi had refused to answer questions from security men
and
>declined to return home.=20
>
>``We attempted to talk to her seven times on Sunday but there was no
>answer,'' said the official.=20
>
>Late on Sunday, witnesses saw Suu Kyi sitting in her white sedan with
two
>drivers. Security men were in the area and an ambulance was parked
nearby.
>Officials said the ambulance was there for use in case of any
emergency.=20

>The NLD said on Sunday that the government would be held responsible if
>something went wrong with her health because of her car sit-in. But a
>security official said Suu Kyi probably had dry rations such as
biscuits =
>eat.=20
>
>The NLD had said on Friday that she was on her way to a western
township =
>meet party supporters when she was stopped. This was the third time she
w=
>as
>blocked from making trips to townships after being stopped on July 7
and =
>20.=20
>
>The SPDC said in a statement that Suu Kyi and two drivers in the car
had
>been stopped because she did not have her security team with her on the
t=
>rip.=20
>
>The junta has said that it is worried some anti-government elements
might
>harm Suu Kyi and lay the blame on it. But the opposition believes that
it=
> is
>just an excuse used by the military to curb her political
activities.=20

>The government has said that it is concerned that her movements might
cau=
>se
>political disturbances.=20
>
>The SPDC has accused Suu Kyi and the NLD of turning a deaf ear to the
>authorities appeal to them not to disrupt government moves to reopen
>sometime next month institutions of higher learning that were closed
afte=
>student unrest in December 1996.=20
>
>On the previous two occasions she was blocked from going to the
townships
>the authorities made other arrangements for her to meet the people she
>wanted to see in Yangon.=20
>
>But this time, Suu Kyi has refused to tell the local authorities where
sh=
>was going or give details of her trip.=20
>
>Security officials said they might not make similar arrangements this
tim=
>for her to meet party members in Yangon because she had forced a
>confrontation with the government.=20
>
>Confrontation between the NLD and the SPDC has intensified in recent
week=
>with the opposition demanding the government convene parliament by
August=
> 21.=20
>
>The NLD swept the last general election in May 1990, but the military
>ignored the results and has refused to convene parliament.=20
>
>The SPDC has retaliated by clamping down on the movements of opposition
M=
>Ps
>in the townships, confining them there and requiring them to report
twice
>daily to security officials.=20
>
>The military government on Monday charged that the NLD had colluded
with
>some western embassies in Yangon and had secured support and necessary
>assistance from them.=20
>
>``This incident will be made a political issue at the ASEAN Ministers
>Meeting (in Manila) while the same western countries will berate
Myanmar =