ABSDO action on 20th May and timeli

MEDIA RELEASE?
Attention: Chief of Staff
17th July 1998
BURMESE STUDENTS DEMAND A DEMOCRATIC BURMA
Burmese Students in Australia will rally at the Victoria State Parliament on
Monday July 12th to demand immediate action from the Australian State and
Federal Governments in support of the struggle for democracy in Burma.
Members of the All Burma Students Democratic Organization (ABSDO) Australia,
and other pro- democracy activists, will be gathering at the State
Parliament of Victoria at 12:00pm on July 20th to express their anger over
the current political system in Burma and draw support from the Australian
people and the Government.
Students will call on the Australian Government to place firm pressure on
the Burma State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) military regime to:
1. convene National Parliament by 21st of August
2. engage in dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
3. free all political prisoners including student leader Min Ko Naing
4. re-open all universities and colleges
Students will also urge the Australian Government to impose economic
sanctions against the Burmese military dictatorship and urge the State
Governments to adopt selective purchasing laws that ban any contract with
the companies investing in Burma.
Ms Nwe Ni from the ABSDO said today
"Since Daw Aung San Suu Kyi called for the convening of the Burmese National
Parliament with in 60 days which is due on August 21st, the political crack
down has obviously mounted over the leaders of National League for
Democracy. About 50 people's representatives elected in 1990 elections have
been detained without any explanation or ability to appeal. Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi had a night long Sit-in protest and 24 hour stand off with the regime's
security personals in these days."
Ms Nwe Ni went on to say
"At this critical time, we have to show our effective support to the Burmese
people, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the activists who are relentlessly
struggling for democracy and human rights in our country"

The NUS National Education Officer, Katrina Curry said today
"The gross violations of human rights that have occurred under the Burmese
military dictatorship are blatantly obvious to anyone who bothers to look.
The decision of the Australian Government to sit idly by and allow this
brutal repression to occur without comment or action is not only shameful,
but life threatening to thousands of Burmese people."
Ms Curry went on to say
"The National Union of Students pledges its full support to the All Burma
Student Democratic Organisation and believes that the fight for a democratic
Burma is one which all people should take up, regardless of direct personal
interest. Therefore we encourage all our members to get involved in the
campaign."
For further information or comment, contact:
The All Burma Student's Democratic Organisation (Australia)
Maung Maung Than Ye Myint Tun Nwe Ni
0411 337 816 0413 812 476 (03) 9813-2613
The National Union of Students
Katrina Curry, NUS National Education Officer
(03) 9347-7744 (w) 0418 355 400(m)
----------

All Burma Students Democratic Organization (Australia)

Action timeline.....

+3rd August
Protest in Sydney aginst toursim and investment to Burma to launch the Free
Burma National Speaking tour

+7th August
Protest march around Burmese and International Embassies and the Australian
Federal Parliament in Canberra.

+ 8th August
Protest rally with the community and pro-democracy organizations to
commemorate the 10th anniversary of 8/8/88

 +21st August
Protest at the Burmese embassy in Canberra to demand the convening of
Burmese national parliament.
Call on activist from other countries to join hand as International Day of
Action

+ National Free Burma speaking Tour 98
All Burma Students Democratic Organization  and National Union of Student

Western Australia August 28 - 29th
Victoria August 31st - September 4th
NSW August 12th - 13th, 26th - 27th
South Australia September 8th - 11th