World Concern Grows As Suu Kyi Prot

World concern grows as Suu Kyi protest in day six

By Rajan Moses
BANGKOK, July 29 (Reuters) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi was
running out of food on Wednesday, the sixth day of a sit-in protest in her car
against travel curbs imposed by the military government, diplomats said.

A government spokesman denied the report and said Suu Kyi would be given food
if she needed it. But the junta said it was not ready to discuss growing
demands from her party and leading nations that she be allowed to travel
freely.

In Manila, Myanmar Foreign minister Ohn Gyaw told reporters his government had
rejected requests by several countries to give U.S. and Japanese envoys
immediate access to the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Western diplomats in turn vowed to maintain pressure on the junta until it
heeded their calls for democratic reform.

``We're still vigorously pursuing a meeting with her through our embassy in
Burma,'' U.S. State Department spokesman James Foley said.

``Also we are continuing to press for a meeting with senior government
officials in Burma to seek a resolution of the political impasse there,'' he
said.

Foley spoke in Sydney where he was accompanying Secretary of State Madeleine
Albright, who has raised concerns about the Suu Kyi's health.

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) on Wednesday condemned the
restrictions on her travel, saying it was an attempt to curb her political
activity.

``It is illegal confinement to bar the general secretary and (her) party from
going from specially designated areas to other places,'' it said in a
statement.

Security officials on Friday stopped the car carrying Suu Kyi and three others
at a bridge near Anyarsu village, 64 km (40 miles) from Yangon. They said she
could not go to western Pathein township to meet supporters and should return
to Yangon.

But Suu Kyi refused. She has since stayed in the car except for short breaks
to stretch.

The government said Suu Kyi was stopped because she did not have her security
team with her and it was concerned she might be harmed by anti-government
elements, leaving authorities open to blame.

Suu Kyi is the daughter of the late Aung San, revered as the country's
founding father.

The government has also accused her of trying to foment dissent ahead of the
planned reopening next month of universities and other institutions closed in
December 1996 after student unrest.

Tensions between the junta and the NLD escalated after Suu Kyi urged the
government to convene by August 21 a parliament comprising members elected in
may 1990. The NLD swept that poll but the military has ignored it.

``The latest information we have from her party members is that she is running
out of food and medical supplies,'' a diplomat told Reuters by telephone from
Yangon.

Other diplomats said Suu Kyi was becoming weak with hunger and stress.

But a government spokesman on Wednesday said Suu Kyi still had boiled eggs,
cakes and other food in the car.

``They asked for more drinking water this morning. We gave it to them.'' he
said.

``As to her health, her two personal physicians checked her up yesterday and
we have a medical team on standby. These people are just trying to
sensationalise the issue,'' he said.

The government had arranged for two physicians to give Suu Kyi daily checks as
recommended by her personal doctors, he added.

``It is psychological warfare,'' another diplomat said. ``The military won't
touch her but won't allow anyone to get close either.''

The government said members of the public and the NLD would not be allowed to
meet Suu Kyi, and urged foreign governments to stop ``fanning the fire'' by
backing the NLD.

The government spokesman also said Suu Kyi, who earlier refused to talk to
negotiators, had broken her silence and demanded to be allowed to travel
freely.

``But the government position is that we can discuss that later. Not at the
present site. Return to Yangon and we can talk about this later,'' he said.

Asked if he expected a prolonged stand-off, he said: ``We have to wait and see
when (U.S. Secretary of State) Madeleine Albright leaves Asia. Maybe then
(Suu Kyi) will return.''

Albright, who is visiting Asia, has demanded Suu Kyi be allowed to travel
freely.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson urged the same on
Tuesday.

And in New Delhi, dozens of Myanmar students marched through the streets on
Wednesday, demanding freedom of travel for Suu Kyi.

Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw said his government had many ways to end the stand-
off, and rebuffed requests to let U.S. and Japanese envoys meet Suu Kyi.

``At this juncture, the meeting with (the) Japanese ambassador and U.S. charge
d'affaires is not urgently needed. Authorities will comply with the request
when necessary.''

14:57 07-29-98