ALL BURMA YOUNG MONKS UNION

ALL  BURMA  YOUNG  MONKS  UNION

STATEMENT  OF  THE  ALL  BURMA  YOUNG  MONKS  UNION  (LIBERATED   AREA)
REGARDING THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS
FOUR EIGHT'S GENERAL UPRISING

1.	The 8 August, 1998, is the auspicious day of the 10th anniversary of the
perseverance for democracy and human rights.  Within this 10 years, the
momentum in the perseverance for democracy and human rights has increased,
and we are happy to observe that we are now slowly approaching this
objective.  In this period we urge and encourage the people not to abandon
their perseverance and to remain in unity and co-operation.
2.	The Sangha, the students and all the people fulfilling the
characteristics of martyrs who gave up their precious lives in this 10 year
period of perseverance for democracy and human rights, will always be
honored and recorded for all time.  We offer up our prayers and send metta
to all these martyrs to speed them on their way to a good destination.  The
All Burma Young Monks Union proclaims that it will endlessly persevere
until victory is achieved, by pursuing the direction laid down in
accordance with the beliefs of the martyrs.
3.	The Sanghas who have assisted and supported the perseverance of the
Burmese people for democracy and human rights, within the rules and
traditions binding on them and within the religious boundaries, remain in
their thousands incarcerated in jail.  These Sanghas suffer extra judicial
killings, torture, forced labor in labor camps under brutal conditions, and
as porters for the army in their front line military operations.
4.	The Sanghas who are currently in prison

(a)	are not permitted to live their daily lives, in accordance with the
traditional principles as Buddhist monks.
(b)	are not permitted to be robed.
(c)	are not permitted to preach the Dhamma, and prisoners are not permitted
to pay obeisance to the monks.
(d)	are not permitted proper medical care and attention.
(e)	are not charged or brought before courts.

and the whole of their basic fundamental rights are denied to the Sangha by
the SPDC regime.  For these reasons the All Burma Young Monks Union
requests the immediate release of all the Sangha from imprisonment.
5.	The All Burma Young Monks Union vigilantly analyses the current
worsening situation in the country.  The request on behalf of the people
that parliament must be convened no later than the 21 August, if resolved
by force would only result in calamity for the SPDC regime.  The All Burma
Young Monks Union will continue to support the innocent Burmese people in
their perseverance for democracy and human rights.  This statement is made
and dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the popular uprising in Burma.

Dated 31 July, 1998.
Central Steering Committee
All Burma Young Monks Union.