NCGUB Statement (r)

Statement on 10th Anniversary of 4-Eight Democratic Movement

The 8-8-88 is the historic and sacred day in the democratic movement in
which the people from all walks of life, in Burma, expressed their yearning
for democracy.

1. The movement for democracy and human rights of 1988, led by the students
and joined by the people in force, and in which much blood and sweat were
sacrificed, has arrived at its 10th Anniversary.

2. On the occasion of the 10th Anniversary of the great democratic
movement, we bow our heads in respect and honor to the heroes, in the
struggle for democracy and human rights, who have sacrificed their lives,
limbs, blood and sweat, and who have been incarcerated, up to this day, in
prisons and labor camps, and subjected to various forms of torture.

3. Though the people of Burma have been struggling for 10 years, there has
not been any significant changes.  On the other hand, the people of Burma
have to continue to bear extreme forms of human rights violations.  They
still have to relentlessly struggle on for democracy and freedom.

4. Now, the political situation in Burma has reached a critical point.  The
move by the NLD for the convening of parliament, within 60 days, is in
accordance with the will of the people of Burma.  We will continue to fully
support and make utmost effort for the success of the demand of the NLD to
convene the parliament by August 21.

5. At the present, the SPDC military clique is shamelessly repressing
activities of the NLD led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, in blind repudiation of
the will of the people of Burma and urgings by the international community.
 Therefore, it is urgently necessary for the people to fully support and
cooperate with the NLD, in the effort to have the parliament convened
within 60 days.

6. In conclusion, on the occasion of the 10th Anniversary of the historic
movement for democracy, we would like to earnestly urge the entire people
to participate, unanimously on a nation-wide scale, in the effort to have
the parliament convened by August 21, by holding fast to the spirit of the
4-Eight Movement.

August 8, 1998