8-8-88 commemoration in Edmonton (r)

                     Memory of 8.8.88 will live on
                     =============================

It all started at the strike of eight in the morning of August 8, 1988.
Soon, thousands of unarmed protestors from North Okklapa, South Okklapa,
Thaketa, Thingangyun, Yankhin and Bahan were all out marching peacefully
towards the City Hall in columns holding banners of their own townships.
They were joined by hundreds of thousands of people waiting at Bandoola
Park infront of the City Hall in Rangoon.

Demonstrators were singing national anthem while soldiers already stood
nearby the City Hall holding their machine guns awaiting for their
orders. There were demonstrations going on at the same time nearly every
towns across the country; in Mandalay, Sagaing, Shwebo, Bassein, Pegu,
Taungoo, Pyinmana and Minbu,Yenangyaung, Chauk, Moulmein, Mergui, Tavoy,
Taungyi and even as far as Myitkyina.

They were protesting against the BSPP and the then President Sein Lwin's
rule. The demostarations went on peacfully the whole day with no
reactions from the military standing by.

But, at about 5:30 pm, a dreadful Rangoon Commander Brig. Gen Myo Nyunt
( Tar-te-gyi/ or fixed-the-weather man )appeared on the protico of the
City Hall and warned the demonstrators to disperse or the troops will be
ordered to shoot. Nobody listened to him and the demonstartions went on
as before. The announcement made the crowds grew even bigger. No one
believes the army would shoot their own people for a peaceful
demonstration.

Myo Nyunt had his third warning but the disciplined crowds grew further.
Later in the evening, more people moved to Shwe Dagon pagoda where the
meetings were held. At the same time, the army itself had been perparing
to bring about the darket moments in the history of Burma. Trucks and
bren-carriers were moved in to the City Hall. But, nobody still believes
that army would be orderd to shoot.

Finally, the making of the darkest moment came at 11:30 pm when truck
load of soldiers went out from the City Hall follwed by bren-carriers
and more trucks.

Soldiers pointed their automatic rifles in the crowds. Then, suddenly,
the two warning pistol shots came and within seconds the mautomatic
rifle shots took the center stage and scores of people, young and old
fell to their death instantly. The streeets near the City Hall turned
chaostic with people screeming, running and taking cover in random
directions. More trucks load of soldiers were sent to Shwegondine Road
where the whole columns of demonstrators were gunned down. The casuality
was estimated over 2000. The shooting continued until 3:00 am ,the next
day. No one knew how many demonstrators were killed in total.

Also, there were shootings in Sagaing. About 300 demonstrators and some
monks were reported killed.

But, in Rangoon, the shootings did not end on the August 8, 1988. More
shootings were reported in Rangoon on 9-11 August 1988. The worst was
the shootings outside the Rangoon General Hospital.

Sein Lwin's resigned from the chairmanship of the council of state and
the post Pesident on August 12, 1988.

To this day, the people of Burma remembers the August 8, 1988 as the the
day of the "FOUR EIGHTS" of the century.

But, we have to remember this also. "If we do not want the repeat of
this dreadful day, we need to be brave at the same time. We have just
been shown how we can be brave and stand up against the tyranny in Burma
peacefully, non-violently and with discipline by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi."

We shall succeed.

May we have peace and democracy in Burma.

In soliderity with the NLD's movement,

Minn Kyaw Minn