The BurmaNet News: August 6, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: August 6, 1998
Issue #1065

SPECIAL ISSUE: 8-8-88 10TH ANNIVERSARY

HEADLINES:
==========
AKSW: MEMORY OF 8-8-88 WILL LIVE ON
THE NATION: STUDENTS HOLD HANDS FOR SUU KYI
ALL BURMA YOUNG MONKS' UNION: STATEMENT
FBC: WORLDWIDE COMMEMORATIVE EVENTS

ALICE KHIN SAW WIN: MEMORY OF 8-8-88 WILL LIVE ON

It all started at the strike of eight in the morning of August 8, 1988.
Soon, thousands of unarmed protestors from North Okklapa, South Okklapa,
Thaketa, Thingangyun, Yankhin and Bahan were all out marching peacefully
towards the City Hall in columns holding banners of their own townships.
They were joined by hundreds of thousands of people waiting at Bandoola
Park in front of the City Hall in Rangoon.

Finally, the making of the darkest moment came at 11:30 pm when truckloads
of soldiers went out from the City Hall followed by bren-carriers and more
trucks.

Soldiers pointed their automatic rifles in the crowds. Then, suddenly, the
two warning pistol shots came and within seconds the automatic rifle shots
took the center stage and scores of people, young and old fell to their
death instantly. The streets near the City Hall turned chaotic with people
screaming, running and taking cover in random directions. More truckloads
of soldiers were sent to Shwegondine Road where the whole columns of
demonstrators were gunned down. The casualty was estimated over 2000. The
shooting continued until 3:00 am the next day. No one knew how many
demonstrators were killed in total.

Also, there were shootings in Sagaing. About 300 demonstrators and some
monks were reported killed.

But, in Rangoon, the shootings did not end on the August 8, 1988. More
shootings were reported in Rangoon on 9-11 August 1988. The worst was the
shootings outside the Rangoon General Hospital.

10 years ago, around the middle of August, while they were demonstrating
peacefully on the streets of Burma, more than 6000 unarmed civilians,
students including children of under 16 years, and Buddhist monks were
killed by the gunfire of troops from the brutal military regime.

The killing started from midnight of Aug 8 , in front of the city hall in
Rangoon, Burma.  When I went to the Rangoon General Hospital where I worked
, on the next day, the 9th of August, we received hundreds of injured
people and dead bodies for the whole day until night. I witnessed the
incidents and was actively involved in taking care of these injured people.

We faced many problems in the hospital. One of the major problems was
shortage of blood and basic medical supplies. Here we were having the whole
bunch of patients with gun shot wounds bleeding profusely. Before we gave
them the specific treatment, the first thing we had to do was to replace
the blood that was lost, to bring up the blood pressure so that the patient
is fit to go for surgery. We had no more blood in the blood bank and no
bandage and plaster for wound dressing. We could not save them.

It was really a very sad and horrifying incidence. We felt so helpless.

We, as physicians and nurses, decided that we had a responsibility to stop
and prevent this, the merciless killing. So we wrote a letter (signed by
all doctors and nurses) and tried to send it to the Ministry of Health and
also Ministry of Defence. That was in 10th of Aug. In the afternoon on the
same day, we took a walk for about 1 block, just outside the hospital
compound, carrying a big banner , requesting the soldiers to stop killing
their own people because of shortage of blood and basic medical supplies.

What we got in return for this was bullets flying over our heads. 3 army
trucks loaded with Burmese soldiers appeared from nowhere and shot the
hospital killing about 3 or 4 civilians, 2 Buddhist monks and injuring 6
nurses.

It has been 10 years. Within this period, the momentum in the perseverance
for democracy and human rights has increased, BUT we have not achieved our
goal yet.

In its Human Rights Index, the London Observers ranked the junta one of the
world's 3 worst abusers of Human Rights for its record of torture, tyranny,
killings and persecution.

We would like to urge and encourage our people not to abandon their
perseverance and to remain in unity and co-operation.

Alice Khin Saw Win

THE NATION: STUDENTS HOLD HANDS FOR SUU KYI

BURMESE students the world over will hold a memorial service on Saturday
for those who lost their lives in the uprising in Burma 10 years ago.

Theat Oo Naing, spokesman for Burma Students' Association, said that more
than 100 students and pro-democracy supporters are expected to participate
in the service to be held on Saturday at 10 am in front of the Burmese
Embassy in Bangkok.

''A similar service will be conducted by supporters in other countries,
namely America, Australia, Japan, India, London and some European
nations,'' he said.

Tun Tun, the administrator, said starting from Thursday they will hold a
candlelight vigil around the embassy which will continue until the end of
the service on Saturday.

Some 50 students, most from Ban Maneeloi, have turned the pavement outside
the embassy, on Sathorn Road, into a temporary home. They said they were
concerned for Aung San Suu Kyi's, head of the National League of Democracy
(NLD) which had won by a landslide in 1990, lack of freedom.

''We are worried about Suu Kyi and the fact that she might get arrested by
the ruling junta -- the State's Peace and Development Council [SPDC],'' Oo
Naing said.

Ngyine Moe, a student leader, said the protesters had submitted their
demands, of freedom for political parties and the recognition of the Mon
National Democratic Front (MNDF), to Burmese officials.

Ngyine Moe said a joint statement would be issued on Saturday.

He said peace and stability will only return to Burma when the military
government changes its attitude and allows political development.

''Burma needs politics, economics and racial reforms,'' he said.

In a statement issued on Monday the students called for a dialogue between
the Burmese junta and the opposition saying it was essential to peace.

They also urged SPDC to be mindful of public interests and not conduct
wrongful activities. The students also called for freedom for other
political parties, convening of the parliament as sought by NLD and the
release of political prisoners.

After the Aug 8, 1988, uprising, the commission of the junta, formerly
known as the State Law and Order Restoration Council, allowed activists to
form different parties.

ALL BURMA YOUNG MONKS UNION: STATEMENT
31 July, 1998 from rfb@xxxxxxxxxxx

STATEMENT OF THE ALL BURMA YOUNG MONKS UNION (LIBERATED AREA) REGARDING THE
10TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS FOUR EIGHT'S GENERAL
UPRISING

1.	The 8 August, 1998, is the auspicious day of the 10th anniversary of the
perseverance for democracy and human rights.  Within this 10 years, the
momentum in the perseverance for democracy and human rights has increased,
and we are happy to observe that we are now slowly approaching this
objective.  In this period we urge and encourage the people not to abandon
their perseverance and to remain in unity and co-operation.

2.	The Sangha, the students and all the people fulfilling the
characteristics of martyrs who gave up their precious lives in this 10 year
period of perseverance for democracy and human rights, will always be
honored and recorded for all time.  We offer up our prayers and send metta
to all these martyrs to speed them on their way to a good destination.  The
All Burma Young Monks Union proclaims that it will endlessly persevere
until victory is achieved, by pursuing the direction laid down in
accordance with the beliefs of the martyrs.

3.	The Sanghas who have assisted and supported the perseverance of the
Burmese people for democracy and human rights, within the rules and
traditions binding on them and within the religious boundaries, remain in
their thousands incarcerated in jail.  These Sanghas suffer extra judicial
killings, torture, forced labor in labor camps under brutal conditions, and
as porters for the army in their front line military operations.

4.	The Sanghas who are currently in prison

(a) are not permitted to live their daily lives, in accordance with the
traditional principles as Buddhist monks.

(b) are not permitted to be robed.

(c) are not permitted to preach the Dhamma, and prisoners are not permitted
to pay obeisance to the monks.

(d) are not permitted proper medical care and attention.

(e) are not charged or brought before courts.

and the whole of their basic fundamental rights are denied to the Sangha by
the SPDC regime.  For these reasons the All Burma Young Monks Union
requests the immediate release of all the Sangha from imprisonment.

5.	The All Burma Young Monks Union vigilantly analyses the current
worsening situation in the country.  The request on behalf of the people
that parliament must be convened no later than the 21 August, if resolved
by force would only result in calamity for the SPDC regime.  The All Burma
Young Monks Union will continue to support the innocent Burmese people in
their perseverance for democracy and human rights.  This statement is made
and dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the popular uprising in Burma.

Dated 31 July, 1998.
Central Steering Committee
All Burma Young Monks Union.

FREE BURMA COALITION: WORLDWIDE COMMEMORATIVE EVENTS

AUSTRALIA (from azappia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Calendar of Events leading up 21st August and beyond, in Australia
Please let us have information about any new events especially those with
21st August focus.  Keep up the great work, just keep on adding.  N. B.
Past events have now been removed from the list.

Version: 2
Canberra, 31st July to 21st August 1998
The IUF Co-ordinating Committee will launch a postcard campaign which
"demands that the SLORC allow the convening of parliament", and "puts SLORC
on notice that if this does not occur there will be dire international
action.  The campaign is endorsed by the NCGUB, FTUB and the ABC.  Five
thousand postcards will be circulated to unions, NGOs and the community.
Contact:  Amanda Zappia (02) 6297 7734.

8th August 1998
Rally outside SPDC Embassy, Arkana Street Yarralumla.  !2.00 to 2.00 PM.
About four hundred people are expected to attend.  Members and Senators of
the Australian Parliament and Australian Unions will lend their support.
Please do all you can to encourage your friends and supporters to join the
rally.  Contact:  all (02) area code.  U Daniel Aung., Tel/Fax: 9648 3268,
U Tin Tut, Tel: 9748 1708, U Aye Kyaw, Tel: 9649 5824, U San Linn, Tel:
9718 6615, U Maung Maung Myint, Tel: 9726 7756, Amanda Zappia, Tel: 6297 7734.

The Burma Support Network, Burmese Woman's Union and the Australia Burma
Council will join a simple and multi purpose initiative of Edith Miranti
from Project Maje and plant trees in remembrance of those that were killed
and jailed in 1988.  Please join us by planting a tree.  If anyone needs
space I have plenty here.  Contact (02) 6297 7734.

10th to the 14th August 1998
FTUB International Campaign to picket SLORC Embassies.  Australian unions
will support this international campaign and picket the Embassy in Arkana
Street Yarralumla ACT.  Contact, Australia, Amanda Zappia (02) 6297 7734.
Minn Aung Myint Burma Office (02) 9264 7694. Bangkok, FTUB.

Sydney
8th August 1998
WILPF (Women's International League for Peace and Freedom ) NSW, will be
having a talk from Vicki Bourne that day on the MAI. We shall also have a
memorial service for Burma at our meeting. Best wishes Anne Noonan-
Executive WILPF. Contact Anne Noonan, <iris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

9th August 1998:
The Burma Support Group (Sydney) is organising a group to participate in
the City to Surf. It's a great opportunity for media, and the bigger the
group, the more attention we will attract. The plan is to wear "free Burma"
t-shirts, ASSK masks, and have chains (plastic!!) around our ankles. The
race starts at 10am and entry fee is $20 (BSG can subsidize entries if you
can't afford it). For further information and to enter, contact: Lucy
Abbott 9315 7070 (home), 9727 0477 (work), 0419 012 682 (mobile).NB: none
of the entrants so far are particularly fit ... so don't be put off.

9 August 1998:
Following the City to Surf run, the Amnesty International Burma group is
planning an event at Bondi Pavilion. Contact, Lucy (as above)

14th August 1998
Candle Light Vigil, 6:00 PM. Outside Sydney Town Hall, an event to
commemorate all those who have died in the struggle for democracy and a
service for hope and peace in Burma.  contact  TINZAR for details: Mobile
(0414) 399595

15th August 1998
Screening of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's message to the UN. 4.00 PM, AYBL Centre
21 Kerr RD, Lidcombe.  please contact AYBL on 9749 2406 or  Kenneth on
(0419) 254540

16th August 1998
Filming of the Burma Diary, Metcalfe Auditorium at the NSW State Library.
Screening at 4.00 PM, Followed by questions and answers.  Please contact
Craig Knowles <CKnowles@xxxxxxxxxx> for further information.

NB: "Burma Diary" will be broadcast on SBS Television's "About Us" on
Wednesday 19th Also, Dateline on SBS on Saturday 15th 7.30 - 8.30 will
feature Burma, to be repeated on the Sunday at 2 or 2.30pm.

18th September 1998
"Burma Betrayed: 10 years since the military coup" at Politics in the Pub,
Harold Park Hotel 115 Wigram Rd, Glebe 6pm - 7.30pm (no entry fee, but
donations are welcomed) Speakers and discussion.  Contact:  Kate Lee 02
9559 3392.

18th August 1998
Letter Writing Day, letters to our local Federal member of Parliament.
Template letter will be posted on the net and can be obtained from AYBL
Community Centre. Contact AYBL for details. <aybl@xxxxxxxxxxx>

19th August 1998
ABSDF Action Day details T.B.A.

20th August 1998
ABSDF Action Day details T.B.A.

21st August 1998
Big Demo in Sydney to mark the deadline date set by the NLD for the
convening of Parliament.  Details T.B.A. Contact: <aybl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Perth

8th August 1998
Rally outside Wesley Church, Perth., 10.00 AM Contact Connie Allmark (08)
9349 4073.

Melbourne
8th August 1998
Rally outside State Parliament, 10.30 AM, contact Patricia Pond (03) 9568
8425.

4th to the 15th August 1998:
Photographic Exhibition by Mathias Heng.  Span Galleries, 45 Flinders Lane,
Melbourne.  Contact Mathias Heng (03) 9481 6351 or Span Galleries.

Free Burma Coalition, Australia
Working for the: National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
Federation of Trade Unions, Burma Australia Burma Council
PO Box 2024, Queanbeyan  NSW  2620 Ph: +61-2-6297-7734  Fax: +61-2-6297-7773

BURMA
from zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Dear Fellow Spiders:

The FBC has been informed that *unspecified* number of students, monks, and
civilians inside Burma are planning on joining with us to participate in
the 10 anniversary fast.

Beginning August 6 some of our solidarity fasters will begin going to
monasteries, mosques, and churches to perform religious services; some will
remain at home observing Sabbath according to their religious beliefs;
others yet will just walk around the streets and chat with neighbors while
being on Free Burma fast. Other still will get up early in the morning to
offer boiled rice to Buddhist monks.  Some government workers plan to take
sick leaves and stay at home to observe the 10th anniversary service.
Some will simply play loud music on the street.  All of them however, will
take one common action, that is, they will be fasting with us, intentionally.

Although August 8 commemoration may not usher in a new democratic era,
people are warming up for August 21 transition.

The Burmese public know that their country is in a transitional period
right now and that they is on alert waiting for a spark.

The Burmese public is in countdown mood currently.  Every single day
leading up to August 21, the NLD deadline for convening the parliament, is
important, for the movement.

CANADA
(from Canadian Friends of Burma cfob@xxxxxxx)

Canadian Friends of Burma - Ottawa:  In the evening of August 7th, CFOB
will hold a candlelight vigil on Parliament Hill, around the Eternal Flame.
On August 8, at 12:30pm, members of CFOB and the Burmese Student Democratic
Organization will march from the human rights monument in downtown Ottawa
to the Burmese Embassy and hold a rally to commemorate the 10th anniversary
of the massacres and call for the immediate restoration of democracy and
human rights to Burma. An info booth on Burma will be set up in the
downtown core all day on August 8th to inform the public of the
significance of August 8th and the on-going struggle for democracy. In the
fall, a tree will be planted on the grounds of Ottawa City Hall to honour
the struggle. For more info, contact CFOB: cfob@xxxxxxx or 613 237 8056.

(from ehudson@xxxxxxxxx)

Dear Friends,

Friends of Burma (Newfoundland and Labrador) will be marking the
anniversary of the 8/8/88 uprising with a day of banner hangings and street
theatre to reach the public in St. John's.  To finish the day, we'll hold
an evening of readings of Burmese activist poetry, writings and accounts of
the struggle for freedom, human rights and peace. I'm writing to request
any material (esp. poetry, but also other writings including personal
accounts) which you may have written or know of, which you would like us to
read that evening.  (Full credit will of course be given.)  We hope to cap
off the day with a fitting reminder of the sufferings of Burma's peoples
and the bravery exhibited in their struggle. Thanks in advance for your
contributions.  In solidarity,

Ed Hudson
Co-ordinator, Friends of Burma (Newfoundland and Labrador)

(from Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe tzang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

ATTENTION: FIGHTERS FOR FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY

Members of the Burmese community and democratic forces in Vancouver will,
in conjunction with the Vancouver Burma Roundtable, hold a rally to mark
the 10th Anniversary of the People's Power uprising for democracy -- the
8.8.88 movement.  The rally will also be in support of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi's call for the sitting of the Parliament, elected in May 1990. The
rally is scheduled on 8 August 1988 (Saturday), Robson Square, Vancouver, 6
to 8 p.m., ending with a candlelight vigil and the singing of the song of
the students' movement.

In Strength and Solidarity,
VANCOUVER BURMA ROUNDTABLE

FRANCE

Dear fellows,
Info Birmanie, supported by several NGOs and groups has organized the
support to the democratic movement expected for coming 8th of August.  The
planning is :

August 1st : bicycle demonstration in Paris from the Bastille place to the
Burmese embassy.

August 3rd : readings of ASSK's texts in front of the Embassy (as every
first monday of month since two years)

August 7th  : press meeting to launch the call for a democratic Burma
signed by MPs, pVIPs artists and NGOs and sent to the French government.

August 8th : demonstration on the Tocadero place (called Human rights
place) with Amnesty International. Support to the international fast "sun
up, sun down"

The final list of signers and the call will be sent later
Best, with all our support
Info birmanie

GERMANY

I am pleased to inform you the actions of the Burmese community in Germany
in commemoration of our 8888 National Uprising as follows:
Demonstration, hungerstrike & candlelight vigil in front of the SPDC/SLORC
embassy in Bonn/Germany on August 7 & 8, 1998.

1.  a 6x3 m pavilion with 2  6x1 fly-banners  in front of the embassy
2.  a 6x4 m portrait of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will be flying all the time
3.  a hunger-strike protest of 8 persons for 8+8+8 hours
4.  88 candlelights will be lit all the time (day & night)
5.  all participants will be in black dress ( black T-shirts 8888, pants &
caps)
6.  88 black balloons with yellow 8888 will be flying all the time &
finally released
7.  updated newspackages will be distributed for media coverage
8.  BoHan's revolutionary songs (live) and Mun Aung's latest CD "Path to
Freedom" will be played.

Please forward to fellow spiders as necessary, thank you.

In solidarity,
Nwe Aung
Burma Bureau Germany

NEW ZEALAND
(from etain@xxxxxxxxxx)

Media Release
August 05, 1998

VIGIL for BURMA

10 years! Too long to wait for democracy

The Burma Support Group is holding a 24 hour vigil in Aotea Square, from
Friday 7 August to Saturday 8 August 1998.  The vigil will commemorate 10
years since the massacre of 8-8-88 when thousands of civilians were
slaughtered throughout the country for daring to call for an end to the
despotic regime that still controls the country.

The group is erecting a display and refugee hut in Aotea Square at midday
on Friday, to provide New Zealanders with a glimpse of the conditions of
life inside Burma and that of refugees who have fled to neighbouring
countries since the 1988 Uprising.

"It is civilians who bear the brunt of Burma's oppressive regime.  Our
government could do more to support these people in their call for
democracy and an end to the all pervasive human rights violations."

While the group welcomed NZ Foreign Affairs Minister Don McKinnon's
condemnation of the Burmese military regime's harassment of Nobel Peace
Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. The spokeswoman says that his statement at the
ASEAN meeting in Manila, calling Suu Kyi an icon, was too simplistic.

"An icon suggests a figure one admires and pays tribute to, or on the other
end of the scale a computer image to click on: Aung San Suu Kyi is a
courageous woman who is the political leader of the National League for
Democracy, which won 82% of the seats in the 1990 parliamentary election
that the military regime still refuses to honour," she says.

"The New Zealand government should recognise this and take an appropriate
stance aimed at pressuring the regime to reconvene the elected parliament
on 21 August 1998 as called for by Suu Kyi."

The group asks the New Zealand government to support third country
resettlement as an option for Burmese refugees and to consider a quota. "At
present only those active in political movements are considered for
resettlement.  This is ridiculous as every aspect of Burmese life is
controlled by the military, even telling jokes can result in political
retaliation."

"Refugee camps in Thailand, Bangladesh and India are becoming saturated.
Civilians can't return to their own homes which have been burnt by the
military.  They risk enforced conscription, torture, execution and rape by
the Burmese army," she says.

"Hundreds of thousands of civilians throughout the country are being forced
into relocation camps where they are vulnerable to a whole range of abuses,
forced labour, disease, lack of food and clean water.  But how often do we
hear about this?"

Fiona Thompson says that Burma is inescapably an international issue.
Singapore has just recently shipped a provided an arsenal factory for the
Burmese junta to produce arms and ammunition to use against its own people.
 "It would be sheer negligence and totally inhumane to ignore the risk
Burma poses for South-east Asia, and with conditions exacerbated by the
Asian economic crash, the country is poised on the brink," she says.

The Vigil this weekend will be part of a world-wide protest to commemorate
ten years since the 8-8-88 Uprising and the lack of progress towards
democracy in Burma.

SOUTH AFRICA
(From: "Thein Win" burmamtk@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Another Free Burma Campaign in South Africa. It  is in Witwatersrand
University in Johannesburg. Mr. Garth Mason, who is a lecturer in Dept. of
Religious studies sponsored for Free Burma Campaign of Wits University. On
7th August '98; FBC Witwatersrand will  commemorate 10th anniversary of
8888 pro-democracy movement in Burma. At the campus there will be video
show on Burma including "Inside Burma",  "No childhood at all in Burma" and
"Address from ASSK to the UN  Commission on Human Rights". Photo and poster
show are also included. Wits is the one of the biggest University in
Southern Africa and recognised both nationally and internationally for the
quality of its graduates and its excellence in teaching, research and
service to industry and society. It has a long standing commitment to
University autonomy,  academic freedom and non-discrimination. Wits was
established in  1896.

THAILAND

Chiang Mai
To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the August 8, 1988 democracy
uprising in Burma, the Students' Union of Chiang Mai University will be
holding a 3-day event entitled "FREE BURMA 8.8.88" from August 6-8, 1998 at
the Students' Union Building.

>From August 6-8 there will be an exhibition depicting the events of 1988,
as well as stalls selling books and handicrafts from Burma. On August 7,
from 2-5 pm there will be an open forum on the topic "How far is Burma
along the road to democracy, 10 years on?"; speakers will include Thai
journalists and academics, and representatives from Burma. On the evening
of August 7, at 7 pm there will be cultural performances, poetry readings
and music. On August 8, at 8.08 am there will be a religious ceremony in
honour of those that gave their lives to the struggle for democracy.

Black ribbons are also being distributed around Chiang Mai for people to
wear in support of the democracy movement in Burma.

For further details contact Ruch or Kwan at (053) 943053 or  (053) 811202.

Bangkok
(From "Noone" tacdb@xxxxxxxxxx)
A strike camp has opened by the Burmese Students Association in front of
Burmese Embassy on 3rd August, 1998.  It needs everything such as food
supply, shelter and carpet for the street, so we would like to make a
request to well donate for that necessary needed. The strike's statement is
as below:

Contact:  01-651 9924. or  01-3021796 (Mr. Aung Htun), Burmese Students
Association, Moo 7 Ban Maneeloi, T.Wang Manao, A.Pakthor, Ratchaburi 70140,
Thailand.

Statement on the supporting of NLD's demand to SPDC
Date: August 3,1998
Ref : RC/NLD-001/98
We, Burmese Students, are enthusiastically believe that Burma, connected
with the need of full reasonable reformations and full unsighted lessons,
has to need the systematic changes in all sectors such as politics, economy
and racial traditions.

Thereby, peace, development and stable amity for the thoughtful societies
have never existed all the places dominated by the wild thought terrists
(sic).

Peace and development for the future Burma have to base on face to face
talk and a politically flexible reformation.  The talk between the rulers
and opposition in Burma is an essential fact for Asean region's peace,
stability and development.

We extremely warn to the Burma's junta (States Peace and Development
Council-SPDC) that the persons, communities and organizations that are
mindful for citizen's interests and country, should not conduct to the
wrong things.

Therefore we have to make the demands to the SPDC as follows:
*	To allow the free political activities for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and all
politicians.
*	To allow convening the parliament called by the National League for
Democracy (NLD).
*	To free all political prisoners.

(from "Mr. Zaw Wint" onsoabbe@xxxxxxxxxx)
Dear recipients,

We would like to inform you that our activity to provoke Burmese people by
some strike in Bangkok. BSA, our allied association, is already stage a
sit-in in front of Burmese embassy in Bangkok. We, ONSOB&ABBESU, will
reinforce to BSA at 10th anniversary of 8888. These our combined all three
organizations will stage a sit-in until August 22nd, the final date of Daw
Suu's calling for parliament by elected people's representatives. Please
write us to set a timing and make same demands at the demonstrations at
10th anniversary of 8888 word widely, especially USA, CANADA, Australia,
India, Japan, Norway, UK and inside Burma. We believe that if we all
activist organizations make same demands and have network, it will
definitely stronger than doing separately.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

ONSOB&ABBESU&BSA

UNITED STATES
Minnesota
(From: Mick Schommer schom006@xxxxxxxxxx)

The Minnesota Free Burma Coalition (MFBC) is planning an afternoon event to
commemorate the Aug. 8, 1988 massacres in Burma and bring attention to the
on-going human rights crisis.  Beginning at noon at the State Capitol steps
in St. Paul, MN, there will be a vigil and minute of silence under the
golden chariots.  Afterwards, Burmese who participated in 8.8.88 will
recount their experiences.  Keynote speaker Maryanne Hamilton from WAMM,
recently returned from her fact-finding mission in Burma and Thailand, will
address the crowd.  A rally in support of the two Selective Purchasing
Agreements in the Mpls. and St. Paul City Councils will follow.
Afterwards, the MFBC will collect and donate food items to the Dorothy Day
Center as a symbolic gesture.  The day will conclude with a showing of
"INSIDE BURMA," the final film in the on-going film festival at Metro.
State University at 8 p.m.

Everyone in Minnesota and surrounding communities are encouraged to attend
this important commemoration.  Please bring a non-perishable food item to
donate.  For more information, contact the MFBC.

In solidarity,
Mick Schommer

Washington, DC
(from zawzaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx)

Commemoration of the 10th Anniversary of 8-8-88 Uprising in Burma

Dear Friends,
On August 8, 1998, Burmese people all over the world will commemorate the
unforgettable day of massacre by the military dictatorship ten years ago
(August 8, 1988) in Burma.

We will honor the thousands of innocent students, men, women, children and
monks who were shot and killed in the brutal military crackdown on this
day. We invite you to join us in commemorating our fallen martyrs who gave
their lives for the restoration of democracy, freedom and human rights.

Please join us (see attached for Schedule of Events).

"Background"
In 1988, on the 8th day of August, known as the Four Eights (8-8-88) the
largest show of people power ever recorded in Burma's political history
took place. Thousands of activists including young students and monks were
gunned down, jailed, or exiled. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the
movement to restore democracy and civilian rule was placed under house
arrest. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party (NLD)
won an overwhelming majority in the elections held in May 1990, but the
results were ignored by the military regime, which remains in power to this
day.

Ten years later thousands of political prisoners suffer at the hands of the
brutal generals. Some are dying under hellish prison conditions while
others are undergoing severe torture. Many members of NLD party are
detained in Burma's prisons while Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's peaceful efforts
to visit other party members is being blocked by the State Peace and
Development Council (SLORC/SPDC).

Sincerely,
Memorial Committee for the 10th Anniversary of 8-8-88
P.O. Box 865
Rockville, MD 20851
Facsimile: (301)762-6006
---------------------------------
"Schedule of Events"
August 7, 1998 (Friday)
Event:	Demonstration
Time:	3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Place:	SPDC Embassy, 2300 S Street, NW, Washington, DC 20008

August 8, 1998 (Saturday)
Event:  Memorial Service
Time:	6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m.
Place:	Mingala Rama Buddhist Temple, 1708 Powder Mills Road, Silver Spring,
MD 20903

Event:	Continuous Fast of 8888
Time:	8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Place:	Lafayette Park, South Eastern Quadrant, Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,
Washington, D.C. (Across from the White House )

Event: Candlelight Vigil
Time:	7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Place:	SPDC's Ambassador Residence, 2323 R Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008

For further information, contact:
(202)393-7342; (301)424-6009; (301)762-0006

(from: RANGOONP@xxxxxxx)

80 Hours Fast in DC in front of the SPDC's Embassy

Burmese exiles launched the demonstrations kickoff in Washington, DC
yesterday to celebrate the commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the
8-8-88.  Burmese activists staged a protest against the ruling military
junta, officially known as the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC),
in front of the regime's embassy in downtown Washington.  Ko Khin Maung
Shwe, Ma Taw and Htet Htet, their 5 year-old daughter, who came all the way
from L.A., California, together with their fellow dissidents in the
Washington metropolitan area, launched the first day of a series of
activities to honor the 8-8-88 uprising, in which thousands of
pro-democracy demonstrators were gunned down and arrested by the soldiers.

Ko Khin Maung Shwe and Ma Taw, founders of the Free Burma Movement, based
in L.A., California, have been in the struggle for democracy in Burma for
10 years.  They spent their initial period of the exile-life in the jungle
on Thai- Burmese border and came to the United States in 1990.  Back in
December, 1996, the couple and other 12 activists were arrested by the
police, when they chained themselves to a gas tanker in front of the Unocal
Gas Distribution Center, in Carson, CA.

Ko Khin Maung Shwe said that he totally supports the NLD's call for the
convening of Parliament on August 21.  He denounced the military imposition
of restrictions on Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi and her political party.  The
couple will be fasting 88 hours from midnight August 4 to 4 p.m. August 8.
They will join several other Burmese and American activists on August 7 and 8.

New York City
(from: hag2@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Dear Friends and democracy lovers,

Civil Society for Burma (CSB) will be marking the 10th anniversary of the
8/8/88 democratic revolution in New York City.  Anybody wants to join with
us is welcome.  We will demonstrate in front of Burmese embassy on August
8, 3pm to 6pm. The address of the Burmese Embassy is: No.10, East 77th
street, between 5th Ave and Madison Ave.  Join us on that significant day
and express your opinion to the shameless regime.  We will hold play cards
and give speeches.  We warmly welcome to those who want to join us and
express their feeling.

Solidarity
Civil Society for Burma (FBC)

Contact persons:
Ko Kyaw Zin, Tel: (718)743-5411
Daw Ei Ei May, Tel: (718)615-1812

Phoenix, Arizona
(From: darling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

To Freedom Fighters in Phoenix---
I am organizing a candle light vigil to commemorate the thousands killed in
Burma 8/8/88 by the military junta, and raise awareness of the ongoing
repression.

The vigil will coincide with the 10 year anniversary of the massacre.

Location:  Event to be held at Margaret T Hance Deck Park: located just
south of McDowell, off of Central Ave.  Exact Ramada location to follow.
Date: Saturday. August 8th
Time: 7:00 - 8:00

Tell your friends & let freedom ring loud and clear in Phoenix.

Events:
A silent protest and candle light vigil, a reading of a statement @ 8:00
highlighting the events in Burma, and a call for the military to hand over
power to the rightfully elected NDL party, chaired by AUNG SAN SUU KYI.

Media will be invited.  Press release to follow

For more information email Duane Darling (darling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) or call
258-1313
Thanks, Duane