Reuters : Aung San Suu Kyi pledges

Aung San Suu Kyi pledges to fight on in Myanmar
02:57 p.m Aug 07, 1998 Eastern

LONDON, Aug 7 (Reuters) - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
pledged on Friday to maintain her pro-democracy campaign and said she would
not be intimidated by the military government.

Suu Kyi, speaking on the eve of the 10th anniversary of a bloody army
crackdown on pro-democracy campaigners, said the military government ``has
got to understand they can't achieve everything by force.''

``I don't think there will be anybody in Burma (Myanmar) who does not
remember what happened 10 years ago tomorrow -- painfully and with deep
regret,'' she told Britain's Channel Four News at her National League for
Democracy (NLD) headquarters in Yangon.

In defiant mood, she said: ``We are determined to do everything we can to
make good our promise to the people that we are going to bring democracy to
Burma.''

Myanmar opposition activists have been marking the eve of the anniversary
with protests to demand the government convene a parliament of members
elected at a poll in May 1990.

The NLD won the poll by a big margin but the poll was ignored by the
military.

Suu Kyi said ``This is a day on which we should renew our resolve to work
for democracy and to build up the kind of system in which people by the
thousands are not shot down simply because they have asked for something
they have a right to demand.''

She is the daughter of Myanmar's national hero and founding father Aung
San, who led the country's independence struggle in the 1940s but was
assassinated in 1947. Burma gained independence from Britain the following
year.