Foreign diplomats visit detained ac

Foreign diplomats visit detained activists in Yangon

       Tue 11 Aug 98 - 11:56 GMT

       BANGKOK, Aug 11 (AFP) - Diplomats Tuesday said they had started a
series of meetings with a total of 18 of their  nationals detained in the
Myanmar capital Yangon for allegedly attempting to incite unrest.
       The detainees, apprehended Sunday while handing out pro-democracy
leaflets in the capital, were healthy and in good spirits, according to
embassies whose officials had already attended the meetings.
       "We are able to report that their health is okay," said a US embassy
spokesman, after two consular officials met six US nationals at the city's
police headquarters for some 90 minutes.
       "They are not complaining about their treatment. They are eating all
right. The received their personal effects today," the spokesman added,
saying the officials were able to give the detainees some books and
additional food.
The detainees expressed concern their families were worrying about them and
this had been relayed to the families. Three Thai detainees were also said
to be in good spirits, according to embassy staff, and Australian officials
were due to meet the single national from their country.
The other detainees comprise three Malaysians, three Indonesians and two
Filipinos.

)AFP 1998

Philippine envoy granted access to detained Filipinos in Myanmar

       Tue 11 Aug 98 - 10:50 GMT

       MANILA, Aug 11 (AFP) - Philippine Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon on
Tuesday sharply denounced Myanmar for refusing access to two Filipinos
detained in Yangon, warning Manila would file a diplomatic protest if this
was not granted.
Foreign Undersecretary Lauro Baja at the same time summoned Myanmar's envoy
to Manila, San Thein, to demand an explanation why Philippine Ambassador to
Yangon Sonia Brady has been denied access to the Filipinos. Filipino human
rights activists picketed the Myanmar embassy here, condemning the arrests
and demanding the release of their colleagues. The Filipinos were among 18
foreigners, including Americans, Malaysians, Indonesians, Thais and an
Australian, who were arrested Sunday in Yangon for handing out leaflets
supporting democracy and respect for human rights."If they continue to deny
us consular access, we will protest," Siazon told journalists. "I'm not
about to engage in gunboat diplomacy (but) they have two of my nationals,"
said Siazon, a vocal advocate of a policy to openly criticize fellow members
of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on issues that affect
the region.
       Baja bluntly told the Myanmarese ambassador that: "We want them
(Myanmar authorities) to grant access to the embassy, whether they are
charged or not, detained or not, or held in questioning."
He was apparently reacting to claims by Myanmar officials the foreigners
were merely being held for questioning but not under detention. In a
telephone call to the foreign department here late Tuesday, Brady said she
has been granted access to the Filipinos for 8:30 p.m. (1400 GMT).
Baja said the Philippines was consulting with other ASEAN members to draw up
a common approach on Myanmar, which was admitted to the grouop last year
despite opposition from the United States and other major powers."It is
still subject to consultation if there will be an ASEAN approach. It will
carry numerical weight if we do that," Baja said.
ASEAN groups Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines,
Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.The group has been allergic to making public
comments on the internal affairs of members.
During a meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers in Manila last month, Siazon and
Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan strongly advocated a policy shift in
favor of more open criticism which sparked vigorous opposition from the
seven other members.Philippine President Joseph Estrada on Tuesday ordered
the foreign department to "extend all assistance" to two Filipinos being
detained in Myanmar.
"We will extend to them all assistance due to every distressed Filipino
abroad. We must help them because they are our fellow Filipinos," Estrada
said.

)AFP 1998