JOINT-STATEMENT ON ARREST OF 18 ACT

Media Release
Date: August 10, 1998

Joint-Statement on Arrest of 18 Activists On A Mission of Goodwill

An International team, consisting of activists from six countries was
arrested in Burma for attempting to show their support for Burmese people
in their search for democracy and Human Rights.

We are really honoured by this act of multinational co-operation in the
struggle for human rights, and respect the sacrifice of these people for
the freedom of others. We are also grateful for their show of support to
and solidarity with the oppressed people of Burma.

We denounce the SPDC for arresting these activists who were acting only out
of goodwill for Burmese people. The fact that the Burmese military has gone
to the extent of detaining these people and preventing them from leaving
Burma as planned for such a harmless show of solidarity serves to once
again highlight the paranoia of the dictatorship.

In consideration of the inhuman treatment faced by detainees in Burma, we
are very concerned for the welfare of these activists. We call on the SPDC
to: -

1. Immediately release these activists.

2. Immediately and unconditionally release all political prisoners.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)
Overseas National Students of Burma (ONSOB)
All Burma Basic Education Students' Union (ABBESU)
Burmese Students Association (Burmese Students Center)