Detained Activist Sends Letter Home (r)

Detained Activist Sends Letter Home

By JOSH ROLNICK
 .c The Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A few weeks ago, 19-year-old Michele Keegan was living in
New Jersey and waiting tables while on summer break from American University.

Now she is among 18 activists, six of them Americans, being detained by
Myanmar's military government for handing out pro-democracy leaflets.

Pro-democracy activists phoned Keegan's mother, Callie, early Monday to tell
about her daughter's plight in the Southeast Asian country formerly known as
Burma.

``As a mom I'm very, very scared and I need to see her face in America now,''
a tearful Mrs. Keegan said Tuesday.

In a letter relayed by the U.S. embassy in Myanmar, Keegan apologized to ``my
mommy and family'' for ``this huge inconvenience in your lives. I know it is
tearing everyone up. But please do not be scared for me. I am not afraid.''

The note expressed concern for her sick dog, Mrs. Keegan said, and tried to
reassure her family: ``Absolutely no lie, I am OK. I'm getting food and a
place to sleep and no one has hurt me.''

Mrs. Keegan said she's been told her daughter is the one keeping up the
spirits of the group, which also includes three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Philippine citizens and an Australian.

``I'm remembering all those songs from Brownies,'' the letter said. ``I knew
they'd come in useful some day.''

Myanmar authorities have said the 18 were being interrogated to determine
whether they should be charged with any crime.

They were apprehended Sunday after distributing leaflets urging people to
remember an Aug. 8, 1988, uprising against military rule that resulted in a
change of leaders but was eventually crushed. An estimated 3,000 people died.

Keegan's congressman, Republican Christopher Smith, planned to leave today for
Myanmar in hopes of negotiating Keegan's release.

Keegan's father, Thomas, a police detective, said he's concerned that the
military dictatorship will want to hold his daughter and the others for a long
time to deter other activists.

Michele joined the ``Free Burma Coalition'' last year at the American
University in Washington, D.C., and helped raise funds and organize this
summer's trip to Myanmar.

Mrs. Keegan said her daughter had never been out of the country before she
left July 28. She told her mother she was going to Thailand because Mrs.
Keegan didn't want her to go to Myanmar.

``I thought she was intelligent and down to earth enough not to do something
like this,'' Mrs. Keegan said. ``But I believe that her heart was a little
more strong.''

AP-NY-08-12-98 0408EDT