Democracy In Burma, Soon

To:    Roger C. Beach
       Chairman and Chief Executive Officer - UNOCAL

	   Chief Executive Officer - Campaign For A Democratic Burma.

Dear Mr. Beach,

This letter is to express my concern over UNOCAl's business dealings in
Burma.  I have reviewed your web site thoroughly to hear your side of
the story.  I commend your company for striving to be a vehicle for
improving the lives of Burmese people in the region you are working.

I must note however that an undeniable dichotomy exists.  Your report
concludes in part:

"In short, no one has been forced to work on the pipeline. In
deposition, the only plaintiffs to provide specifics on forced labor
consistently testified that they were required by the Burmese military
to provide labor for various purposes -- not for the pipeline"

It seems that UNOCAL's position is that You are aware that abuses are
being committed by the military against it's people, however not on your
project.  I believe that this is naive, and is at the heart of why
UNOCAL should not do business with Burma AT THIS TIME.  Your business
dealings with the military regime in effect legitimizes and provides
financial support for a regime that has one of the worst human rights
records.  A regime that routinely suppresses opposition and the voices
for democracy by any means necessary.  The legitimate government, as
called for by the Burmese people is the Parliament,  elected in 1990 by
over 80% of the popular vote. The regime has refused to allow parliament
to convene, and many of the elected members are now either languishing
in prison, murdered, or in exile.  The Parliament is comprised primarily
by The National League for Democracy (NLD), and led by Aung San Suu
Kyi.  The NLD has called on the government to convene parliament along
the lines of the 1990 election by August 21.

It is unlikely that the military will honor this call, as it has failed
to honor the clear choice of the Burmese people in 1990 for democracy
and human rights.  The voice for Democracy will not be silenced however,
and it is likely that another great loss of life will occur as the
regime "annihilates" those that oppose it, which incidentally is a solid
majority of the Burmese People.

What is UNOCAL's position if the military regime has another crackdown
on or even near the level of the 1988 massacre, when thousands of
peaceful Burmese were slaughtered, merely because they called for an end
to repression and a new way of life as a democratic nation.

What is UNOCAL's position on the human rights record of the military
regime.

What is UNOCAL's position for a dialogue with the National League for
Democracy.

I understand that it is UNOCAL's position to be a good steward, while
still answering to its shareholders, and its customers.  I believe you
will see a concerted effort in the near future to have the Burmese issue
brought into the mainstream consciousness of the U.S. and international
community.  The citizens of Burma have endured much, for a long time, it
is time for democracy to bloom in Burma.

There is a grass roots effort underway to effect democratic change in
Burma.  We would like to work with UNOCAL, as you are "on the ground" so
to speak.  Our position is that we would like to maintain a dialogue
with all the parties that are involved with this issue.  There are
elements that would like to promote a boycott of UNOCAL, 76, TOSCO, and
Circle K, for its dealings with the Burmese Regime.  I believe however
that perhaps a better option is for UNOCAL to work with us as a partner
to help effect change in Burma.  As a matter of principle I believe that
you will agree that UNOCAL's long term interest would be best served
with a legitimate and democratic Government in Burma.  Let us all work
together to see this end.

Your reply would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Duane Darling

Campaign For A Democratic Burma
2201 North 13th Street