NCUB Press Statement on 18 Activist

NCUB Press Statement on the 18 Pro-democracy Activists
For immediate release

1. We are delighted to learn about the release of the 18 activists from 6
countries, who are sympathizers for the freedom and democratic movement of
Burma, and who had been arrested by the SPDC military junta on filmy
charges of inciting unrest in the country.
2. The 18, distributed cards bearing the good-will message saying, " We are
your friends from different parts of the world and we do not forget you."
The action did not in anyway violate any law in force. It was simply an act
to express solidarity of spirit of the people of the world, with the people
of Burma.
3. On August 14, 98, the SPDC court sentenced the 18 sympathizers to 5
years of rigorous imprisonment, and then they were deported on the order of
the Home Minister. This evidently shows that the SPDC military junta is
interpreting and using the law to suit its own purpose. The SPDC's act of
imposing the sentence of 5 years of rigorous imprisonment, and then
deporting the sympathizers for the people of Burma, is totally
unjustifiable in law. The real violator and abuser of the law are no one
but the SPDC.
4. We entirely refute the claim of the SPDC that the 18 sympathizers from
the 6 countries were seized by the people and taken to the police station.
The persons who seized them were in fact the secret police of the SPDC and
its lackeys.
5. We would like to affirm that we take much pride in and put on record the
valiant act of the 18 friends of Burma, who had taken a risky trip to
Rangoon and successfully expressed sympathy of the people of the world, for
the oppressed people of Burma. In conclusion, we would like to express, on
behalf of the people of Burma, our deep respect and heart-felt gratitude to
them.
August 15, 1998
Media Contact
Tel: 01-836-8955, 01-828-3741, 01-886-7467, 01-992-5672