NLD's statements 25/26 (r)

Re: NLD's statements 25/26
==========================

>4. The little wooden bridge on which the car has been placed is
>constructed for the purpose of pedestrian travel. Whether it can
>withstand the weight of the motor vehicle is unknown. Should the
>bridge collapse under the strain and damage, injury of any nature, >or
loss of lives result, the responsibility lies on the heads of the
>authorities.

All of these have indicated that the SPDC has become more and more
unreasonable. Very lately, the SPDC had been issuing contradicting
statements on the security issues of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. And now this.

If security was the reason given for stopping Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
her team from travelling to meet her party members in the Irrawady
division, what would be the reason for moving the van onto the wooden
bridge? It must be a deleberate measure to put Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in
an even more vulnerable position so that they could
blame it on the bridge if it collapsed. We will hold the SPDC
responsible if anything happens to her any.

Instead of wasting the time like this, the SPDC should finally come to
their senses and start to agree on a dialogue with the NLD and the
ethnic minorities.

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

> [...]
>and the leaders have a duty and responsibility to visit and support and
>encourage the oppressed and their families which practice is in
>conformity with Burmese culture and social obligations.
>5. Therefore, the General Secretary and U Hla Pe, (Chairman of the
>Irrawaddy Division Organising Committee) have to-day at 10:15 a:m, set
>out on a highway by car for Bassein.
>

>Central Executive Committee
>National League for Democracy
>
>Rangoon
>August 12, 1998
>

>National League for Democracy
>No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
>Bahan, Rangoon
>
>Statement 26(8/98)
>
>1. The General Secretary and a member of the NLD were not able to
>accomplish their mission to Basssein, Irrawaddy Division which they
>commenced on 24-7-98. Yesterday (12-8-98) they set out again for the
>same purpose.
>2. They are individuals whose movements are not restricted. They have
>peacefully and quietly travelled on a public road without the slightest
>intention of causing any disturbance whatsoever. The purpose of their
>journey was to visit the NLD parliamentarians and their families who
>have been wrongfully arrested and confined by the authorities after the
>27 May, 1998. Supporting and comforting the oppressed is in conformity
>with the duties of leaders and their social obligations. No person
>suffers or is disadvantaged by such a journey. It is the result of the
>political consciousness of a political party.
>3. However they have again been barricaded and their car has been moved
>to the little wooden bridge at Htantabin township, Pandaing village
near
>Anyasu. This action by the authorities is entirely without any legal
>justification and legal authority and under no  "rule of law'".
>Moreover,  it is in direct contravention of Article 3 and 13(1) of the
>Declaration of Human Rights. As Burma is a member of the family of
>nations it has a responsibility to respect and adhere to those
>provisions.
>4. The little wooden bridge on which the car has been placed is
>constructed for the purpose of pedestrian travel. Whether it can
>withstand the weight of the motor vehicle is unknown. Should the bridge
>collapse under the strain and damage, injury of any nature, or loss of
>lives result, the responsibility lies on the heads of the authorities.
>5. It is undeniably the duty of the authorities to permit the General
>Secretary and her party to proceed on the journey. The authorities have
>consistently proclaimed that peace and prosperity have been restored to
>the country. They have even changed their name from State Law and
>Restoration Council to State Peace and Development Council. Therefore
>assert that for security reasons the General Secretary and her party
>have been prohibited from proceeding on this journey has no credence.
It