Information Sheet NO. A-0563(I)

                  MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
                                                YANGON

                                       Information    Sheet

                    NO. A-0563(I)                     17th August 1998

(1)		International Theraavada Buddhist Missionary University to Open 	 End of
1998
		Series of coordination meetings was held to establish the International
Theravada Buddhist Missionary University with the scholars and Sayadaws.
Myanmar is the centre of Theravada Buddhism in South-east Asia and
International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University will stand as a model
university.  Arrangements have been made to open the University at the end of
1998. The aim of the State is to open the International Theravada Buddhist
Missionary University possessing required characteristics and to establish
International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University at international level.

(2)		Myanmar Delegation Leaves for India
		Myanmar delegation led by Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation left
Yangon on 16 August to study agricultural development in India and for
bilateral technological cooperation in agriculture at the invitation of
Minister of Agriculture of India.

(3)		Cultural Delegation Leaves for Thailand
		A 20-member Myanmar cultural delegation led by Rector of University of
Culture left on 16 August to attend Workshop on Thai-Myanmar Music and Fine
Arts Presentation in Thailand from 16 to 23 August.

(4)		Government Provides Ms. Su Kyi and Assistants with Fruits
 	and Other Amenities
		Ms. Su Kyi, U Hla Pe and their two chauffeurs are continuing their taking
rest in a camping vehicle near Anyarsu, a small but picturesque village
outside Yangon.

		While U Hla Pe and the two chauffeurs are enjoying having the famous Anyarsu
noodles and tea every morning at the Anyarsu Ayarwaddy Riverside Restaurant
which is about a minute walking distance from their camp site. Government
officials provided Ms. Su Kyi with some fresh fruits for her breakfast and
other bathroom amenities for use in the new mobile bathroom set up yesterday
morning near her camping vehicle  to ensure her maximum comfort and welfare.

Special Feature

		This office is presenting a reproduction of a letter to the editor of Daily
Telegraph ( London) by Nicholas Greenwood for your information.

Nicholas Greenwood
36c Sisters Ave
London SW11 5SQ
14th August 1998

             The Editor
              Daily Telegraph
Dear Sir,

If Marlin Morland- (Letters page, today?s Daily Telegraph) - is so opposed to
Tourism to Burma, why have he and his wife paid regular visits to the country
since his retirement in 1990? I can only assume it is yet another example of
hypocrisy, in that it?s OK for him and his wife to visit, but not for others.

Furthermore, why should we heed the demands of one (unelected) woman, when no
Burmese I have ever met on my mere 20 trips to the country in less than eight
years shares her views? As far as I recall, boycotting Burma was not part of
the NLD?s manifesto prior to the 1990 elections.

The woman in question, it seems, is not opposed to meeting the likes of John
Pilger and other diguitaries in an attempt to boost her own inflated ego, nor
did she object to having her photograph taken with me holding a copy of my
?Guide to Burma? - obviously  intended for  tourists travelling to her
country - during my meeting with her in her Rangoon house in December 1995.

Mr Morland is also quite mistaken when he states that ?they will let you in as
long as you are not likely to see beyond the end of your nose? in my frequent
trips, I have gained access to all areas of the country and, even as an ex-Jew
turned Buddhist with a not insignificant proboscis, have certainly managed to
seen beyond its end.

As regards the rather sad and pathetic letter of David Mawdsley, it is only
natural that he should support his misguided do-gooder of a son, who knowingly
broke the rules of a country with the sole intention of attempting to bring
down that country?s Govenment. He got what he deserved and was lucky not to
still be incarcerated.  What did he expect: a luxury room at the Strand Hotel
with satellite TV?

If James Mawdsley had tied himself to the railings of the Grand Palace in
Bangkok demanding the overthrow of HRH King Bhumipol for not having been
democratically elected by the Thai people, he would most likely be floating
head down in one of the khlongs by now.

Yours sincerely

Nicholas Greenwood
TRAVEL WRITER & TOUR CONSULTANT (BURMA)