US Department of State Press Briefi

U.S. Department of State
                          Office of the Spokesman
                          Press Statement

       Press Statement by James B. Foley, Acting Spokesman
       August 20, 1998

                                           BURMA -- AUNG SAN SUU KYI

       We are deeply concerned by reports that Aung San Suu Kyi s
health is beginning to deteriorate as a result of her prolonged
standoff
       with Burmese security forces on the main Rangoon - Pathein
road. The purpose of her trip to the city of Pathein was to visit
National
       League for Democracy (NLD) party members and three imprisoned
NLD Members of Parliament-elect. We believe she should be
       allowed to travel freely inside her own country.

       We call on the Burmese government to take all possible steps to
resolve this situation peacefully and quickly, including, for
instance,
       releasing the three imprisoned National League for Democracy
representatives elected from Pathein in May 1990.

       [end of document]