NCUB'S EXHORTATION TO THE WHOLE OF

Media Release
Date: August 22, 1998

                NCUB'S EXHORTATION TO THE WHOLE OF BURMA

1. In addition to rejecting the NLD's demand for convening
parliament by the August 21st, the SPDC has been pressuring,
persecuting and obstructing the NLD leaders and the members of
parliament-elect, by various means. This means that the SPDC has
viciously suppressed the will of the people.

2. As the way in her trip is being blocked cold-bloodedly by the
SPDC, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has to stop on the way for 10 days
now, resulting in the decline of her health. We, the NCUB, are
much concerned about this development. The SPDC will be totally
held responsible, if there is any transgression against her
security or further deterioration in her health.

3. We support the 12-point statement issued by the NLD on August
21, 1998. The agenda of the NLD to convene parliament, on its own
in the near future, comprising also of members of
parliament-elect of the ethnic nationalities, is an absolutely
just and sensible approach. For the reason, we, the NCUB, exhort
the entire people, including the ethnic nationalities, Buddhist
monks, youths, students civil servants, business people,
political parties, patriots, the educated and members of the
armed forces, to boldly, explicitly, unitedly and orderly support
the NLD's endeavor to convene parliament.

National Council of the Union of Burma.

For more information please contact 01-254 5525, 01-992 5672,
01-308 2398

Note: The NCUB was formed in 1991 to function as a parliament to
the Burmese parallel government, known as the National Coalition
Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB). It comprises of
representatives from the Democratic Alliance of Burma (DAB), the
National Democratic Front (NDF), the Members of Parliament-Elect
Union and the NCGUB.