BBC- East Asia Today

Students Launch Street Protest as Aung San Suu Kyi Gives Up Second Attempt
to Meet Supporters

NLD leader's second protest against travel restrictions ends

After thirteen days the leader of Burma's National League for Democracy,
Aung San Suu Kyi, has ended her roadside protest at a security checkpoint
outside Rangoon. She's been making another attempt to travel from the
capital to meet some of her supporters in the provinces. Her return home
today coincided with a demonstration near Rangoon University by students
chanting slogans against the military junta. East Asia Today presenter
Kathryn Davies asked the head of the BBC's Burma service Kyi Kyi May
whether the timing of the two events was significant:

Kyi Kyi May: Aung San Suu Kyi's party - the National League for Democracy -
has been issuing statements in the last few days that they were very
worried about her health. They were very concerned when the government
stopped her physician from going to see her on Saturday and Sunday. This
morning we heard that the chairman, U Aung Shwe, and her physicians went
down to see her - and, in fact, brought her back. These student
demonstrations near Rangoon University happened out of the blue. I can't
really put these two things together. I think the students have been
planning this for quite a while now.

Kathryn Davies: What exactly happened today at this demonstration?

Kyi Kyi May: It was the last day of their exams. They were leaving the
university compound, and suddenly a group of students went to the junction
and started distributing pamphlets. Suddenly, there were about eighty, then
a hundred, then over a hundred. There were also about five hundred
bystanders. They were shouting slogans such as "Down with the military
government". A truckload of police arrived and the students ran away down
some side-streets. According to some eyewitnesses who I have spoken to, the
police chased them. I was told however that not too many were arrested.
Another source also said that no arrests were made and there was no
violence. The demonstration dispersed quite peacefully.

Kathryn Davies: Do you think that Aung San Suu Kyi has actually achieved
anything by her last protest?

Kyi Kyi May: The first protest attracted the whole of the world's attention
to Burma. With this second protest however, Burmese issues were
overshadowed by international affairs.

Kathryn Davies: The NLD said on Friday that it would go ahead and convene
the parliament which was elected in 1990. Is there any sign of that
happening?

Kyi Kyi May: They have said that they will do that but they have not named
a date yet. Now that Aung San Suu Kyi is back home, I think that the NLD
executive committee will be holding meetings and they might come up with a
date in the near future.

Kathryn Davies: We've had this demonstration today - a rare event in
modern-day Burma. Is there a feeling that people might be able to risk
their own safety and confront the authorities?

Kyi Kyi May: It all depends on how they are feeling at the moment. Because
of the economic situation inside Burma, people are really suffering. They
have been deprived of essential things such as water and electricity. I
think the young people will take risks and come out onto the streets - but
with the older generation we'll have to see.