Press Release-DBSO(USA)

Immediate Press Release
Democratic Burmese Students Organization (DBSO)
Washington DC, USA      Date. August 24, 1998

 DBSO (USA) vows to continue the demonstration in front of the Burmese
embassy to show our solidarity with the students inside Burma. We are
proud of the action of the members of the All Burma Federation of
Student Union, Takata and Student Union of Government Technical
Institute who led the demonstration on August 24, 1998.

We denounce the brutal actions of the Burmese military regime against
the peaceful students demonstrators. It is time for the Burmese generals
to realize that they cannot stop the democracy movement by arresting
more students. It is the time for the Burmese armed forces to help build
the nation and let the people?s representatives finish their bestowed
duties. We urge the Burmese military junta to:
1.  release the students arrested on Monday and other political
prisoners including student leader Min Ko Naing.
2.  refrain from using violent force to avoid further bloodshed.
3.  stop restriction on the movement of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, National
League for Democracy(NLD) members and members of ethnic opposition
parties.
4.  refrain from obstructing the peoples? parliament to convene.

We call upon the Burmese people to:
1.  stand up against the military regime and support the students.
Students could not achieve the goal without citizen involvement.
2.  support NLD?s call to convene parliment.

We call upon the international community to:
1.  denounce the arrest of peaceful demonstrators.
2.  urge the Burmese military junta to refrain from using violent force
and to honor the Burmese citizens? right to express their opinions
peacefully.
3.  support the NLD?s legitimate call to convene parliament.
4.  impose tighter economic and diplomatic sanctions if the Burmese
regime decides to use violent forces.

We plan to continue daily demonstrations in Washington DC to keep
international pressure on the Burmese military regime. We cordially
invite democracy activists to join us in the demonstrations.

Democratic Burmese Students Organization (USA)

Place: in front of the Burmese embassy
Contact Person: Ko Yin Aye (301) 770-1499
  e-mail yindbso@xxxxxxxxx
dbsoeast@xxxxxxx