message contents

Dear Subscribers,

Once again, I am sending out an appeal to refrain from character
assassination, personal attacks, and lewd comments on burmanet-l. The
content of messages should include news and thoughtful analysis.  While I
understand the desire to know the identities (if hidden) of those who are
submitting, what their affiliations are, etc., there are appropriate ways
to ask for that information.  "What is your connection to xyz group?" is an
appropriate inquiry; "Are you in bed with the bloody bastard dogs of xyz
group" is inappropriate.  In addition, I believe that concerns about the
activities of various groups are best addressed directly to those groups.
If you want to use the list to gather information, publicize what you
discover, etc. you are welcome to do so.  However, continually positing
accusations without any substance (regardless of whether, in fact, the
accusations turn out to be true or not) does not do much good.  This kind
of bashing is also counterproductive, as the majority of readers dismiss
the messages with this kind of content.

The contents of recent messages have resulted in a large number of
subscribers leaving the list, which is quite unfortunate.  As it is the
policy of burmanet-l not to censor or block subscribers, I appeal to the
readers to stay subscribed and either filter out or manually delete the
messages that you find inappropriate.  Several email software programs now
have the capacity to manage messages in this way.

Again, please limit your postings to news pieces and thoughtful analyses so
that this listserv can serve as a useful forum for all subscribers.

Also, please note that everyone, whether pro-democracy or not, can
subscribe to burmanet-l.  It is an open forum, and we hope that a
constructive dialogue can take place here.

If you would like to only receive the BurmaNet News and no other postings,
you can switch to the burmanews-l list.  To do so:

send a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx

in the message body write:
unsubscribe burmanet-l
subscribe burmanews-l