28/8/98 statement (r)

ALL BURMA FEDERATION OF STUDENT UNIONS

(FOREIGN AFFAIRS)

STATEMENT

28/8/98

In our statement dated 19.8.98, the All Burma Federation of Student
Unions,

have already declared that it is not only the National League for
Democracy

which is responsible to convene a parliament but also all students and

people, and therefore we will participate to our utmost in the movement

have an elected government. We also stated that the military regime=20
also

called the SPDC should defuse the political deadlock and tension by
means

of peaceful dialogue instead of violent method and suppression.=20

Together with the Rangoon University Students' Union, the Committee to

Safeguard  Student Rights and other student groups, the ABSFU started
the

activities on 22nd August 1998. On 24th Aug, the people had supported
and

associated with our action and it became more powerful. But the SPDC

responded through violent ways and counter movements instead of solving

through the compromising way. The authorities have arrested some
students

and some of them have been seriously intimidated and threatened.
Although

some have been released now, some are still detained. The authorities
are

trying to charge them by accusing them as destructive elements. The

military regime always tries to degrade the student movements as being

power politics instead of national politics. The national politics of
ABFSU

is to hold three flags of people's struggle: these are democracy,
internal

principles of students' union.=20

Currently all sectors of life in Burma (Education, Economics, Social and
so

on) have been degrading very badly. The present political tension is an

explosive substance for general unrest. The only way to defuse this
tension

is to have open, frank and dignified dialogue among all political=20
forces

and military regime including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  We, ABFSU, have
always

believed that it is also essential to make a democratic environment or

practice with democracy for that dialogue. It is impossible to solve=20
the

current political problem and social unrest without the democratic
society.

Therefore we condemn the SPDC which is trying to silence the students'

voice and the people's desire.

We, ABFSU, also have requested the international community, the
governments

and students

=B7 To pressure upon the military regime, SPDC, for a democratic
environment

in Burma

=B7 To push for open dialogue between the democratic forces including Daw

Aung San Suu Kyi and SPDC.

=B7 To support the current student movements inside Burma

We will speed up our action for national reconciliation, democratic
rights

and elected government firmly with other student unions, democratic
forces

and patriotic persons including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

According to the decision of ABFSU,

Foreign Affairs' Committee

All Burma Federation of Student Unions.

28th August 1998.