All Burma Federation of Student Uni

Unofficial translation

----------------

ALL BURMA FEDERATION OF STUDENT UNIONS (ABFSU)

Statement of our position.
24-8-98

Students, Countrymen, Monks and all People----

The ABSFU has been consistently and conscientiously dedicated to the
cause of democracy and human rights .We hereby declare our present
position in the crisis facing the country.

1.  Crisis in Education

At the levels starting from basic, high school, college, and
universities, students are not  given the opportunity to study
appropriate subjects of their own choice. They are suppressed and
denigrated and left at the ''student'' level. Student have  lost their
rights to study, investigate, observe freely and acquire knowledge,
competence and skill but are being used as political tools. We emphasize
the fact that "education is the concern of the country". The youth of
today must be given education to acquire knowledge which will lead the
way to prosperity and well being. Peace and prosperity without knowledge
can result in untold evils and problems. Education should not be left to
the whims of the authorities. There should be a clear and distinct
understanding of the need for proper education. We therefore ask all
students, countrymen, monks and the people to unite and find a solution
to build a new democratic country of the future.

2. Crisis in society and the country's economy.

This is a crisis that the whole country is facing. The heavy burden of
rising costs of  basic foods and materials, unemployment, rampant
inflation is being experienced by all except the military bosses, and
the profiteering blood suckers. The entire community comprising families
of the soldiers, government servants, farmers, workers, professional and
ordinary day to day workers are bearing this heavy burden.

We declare and steadfastly maintain that this situation has been brought
about by the crass and irresponsible management of the military
dictators.

3. Political crisis

This is not just a matter between the SLORC/ SPDC and the NLD. It is a
matter between the entire nation and the military dictators (SLORC/SPDC)
who assumed and are retaining power. On May 27,1990 in the general
elections the people indicated their hatred of any form of dictatorship
and their desire for a democratic system of government with security in
matters of living conditions and human rights. Therefore, the ABFSU
emphatically urges (SLORC/SPDC) to stop their brutal intimidation and
comply with the wishes of the people by immediately transferring
sovereign power to their legally elected representatives.

The root cause of the above crisis in education, social and economic
conditions and in politics is the irresponsible and intolerable action
of the SLORC/SPDC. To resolve these problems peacefully, intimidation,
terrifying and degrading tactics must stop. The best action that must be
taken is to return sovereign power of the people to the people's
representatives immediately. The ABFSU stresses this point forcefully.

We repeat that because SLORC/SPDC have acted irresponsibly and
inappropriately, the situation today has reached this critical point. A
peaceful resolution can be bought about if SLORC/SPDC complies with  the
wishes of the people and act in accordance with the demands set out here
under and return to their original and basic military duties.

	(1) The elections was designed for creating a Pyithu Hluttaw (People's
Parliament) with full sovereign powers and not for the purpose of
creating a Constituent Assembly for writing a constitution. SLORC/SPDC
haven't had the power to write a constitution. Only the Pyithu Hluttaw
is empowered with this duty. Therefore the sham national convention must
be abolished unconditionally and immediately.

	(2) The convening of the Pyithu Hluttaw must be allowed to proceed
smoothly without any let or hindrance.

	(3) Should difficulties arise, there should be dialogue with the
elected representatives and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who the people have
recognised and supported as their leader.

	(4) In the interim, unconditionally and immediately release all
political prisoners and students who have been unjustifiably arrested
and imprisoned.

	(5) Reopen all universities and colleges and educational institutions
strictly in conformity with its objectives and remove all interference
and control by those in power.

	(6) We emphasize that the military give up the political positions they
are holding and hand over all power to the Pyithu Hluttaw and return to
their barracks to perform the duties assigned to them originally and
further they should do their utmost and assist in establishing a new and
democratic system for Burma. Should they fail in this task the penalty
they will have to pay will be historic.

Central Executive Committee
ABFSU