Letter to Senior General Than Shwe

JTUC- RENGO
Japanese Trade Union Confederation
Office: 3-2-11, Kanda-Surugadai, Chiyoda Ku, Tokyo 101, JAPAN

Senior General Than Shwe						8 September, 1998
Chairman
State Peace and Development Council
Yangon, Myanmar

We have repeatedly requested, on behalf of the 8 million members of the
Japanese Trade Union Confederation together with the International
Confederation of Free Trade Unions (ICFTU), your Government to recover the
democracy and the free and independent trade union movement in your
country. On the eve of 18 September, the ten years of the military regime,
we once again call on the State Peace and Development Council:

1) To implement the UNGA resolution on Burma:
2) To start holding a genuine political dialogue with the Leaders of the
National League for Democracy including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi;
3) To release all the political prisoner, including recently-arrested
students and 110 NLD members, immediately and unconditionally;
4) Not to use force on the peaceful demonstrations in the university and
college campuses; and
5) To respect and honor the fundamental human rights and democratic
freedoms of  all the Nationalities in Burma, including trade union rights
and other human rights.

We call your serious attention to these requests and wish that you would
give due consideration to them.

Sincerely yours,

signed by

Etsuya Washio