8/9/98:LETTER TO LT.GEN KHIN NYUNT (r)

/* Written Wed 9 Sep 6:00am 1998 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in
igc:reg.burma & maykha-l */
/* -------------" Letter to Gen. Khin Nyunt "-------------- */

LETTER TO LIEUTENANT GENERAL KHIN NYUNT
***************************************

Dr U Ne Oo
18 Shannon Place
Adelaide SA 5000
Australia.

8th September 1998.

Lt. General Khin Nyunt
Secretary 1
State Peace and Development Council
c/o Ministry of Defence
Signal Pagoda Road
Rangoon, Burma.

Dear General Khin Nyunt:

I am very concerned about the news that your council is
renewing the arrests on members and supporters of National
League for Democracy. These arrests, together with your
council restricting the elected members of parliament
gathering in Rangoon, have not been consistent with the
objective of confidence-building tasks in Burma. I urge
your council to release all those detained and also to
lift the restriction of movement of the members of
parliament.

There is also an internationally shameful revelation made
by the World Bank that your council has been defaulting
the loan repayments to the international creditors.
This kind of international shame has been brought to
bear upon Burma by the World Bank only because of the
economic incompetence by your State Peace and Development
Council.

The debt settlement for Burma with its international
creditors can only be made by the authority of
democratically elected parliament. I ask your council
to help arrange the National League for Democracy
convening parliament this month. To solve Burma's debt
problems promptly, your council together with Central
Executive Committee of National League for Democracy
should form a crisis committee in order to prepare a
draft legislation to discuss in parliament.

It should also be noted that the existing Cabinet
appointed by your council has no legitimate authority
to conduct the national matters. In accordance with
international standards, the appointment for the
members of current cabinet must be approved by the
democratically elected parliament. I once again ask
your council to lift restriction on the movement of
the members of parliament so that they could convene
the parliament.

Yours sincerely,
Sd. U Ne Oo.
/* Endreport */